What's a good GoPro setup?

Tpoppa

paging Bark615...

I think he has a couple of Hero 2's and one Hero 3.  We run them on the XR100's pretty much every race.

The adhesive bases work pretty well.  I have one on my helmet.  Otherwise you're talking about drilling a 1/4" hole to mount the base.  Of course there are other options involving the mirror bolts, gas tank, etc.

I would go for an old stock Hero 2 model if you just want to use it occasionally.  No reason to break the bank on the latest and greatest for no reason.

I have a Sony HDR-AS15. For the price the picture quality is much better than GoPro. I bought a helmet mount and bike mount for cheap on Amazon. It works really, really nice and pictures at 1080p/60FPS with steadyshot on are amazing. I paid about $220 for everything. 

I would go for an old stock Hero 2 model if you just want to use it occasionally.  No reason to break the bank on the latest and greatest for no reason.

I have a Hero 2 bought for $150 with some goodies from another OR inmate and I've been having fun with it.  My favorite mount so far is a curved adhesive tab attached to my helmet's chin.  It's rock-solid and gives me the ability to start and stop recording with my hand, which is nice on longer trips where I don't want a whole memory card of boring stretches.  It also tracks with my eyesight and absorbs a lot of vibration, though it does pick up head bobbles and wind turbulence.

I've used a suction mount on the windscreen and tank side for other perspectives and it looks great, just picks up engine vibration, creating "jello" effects at specific RPMs.

I would agree that the Hero 2 will suffice.  The Hero 3 is a nice tight package with a few more features, but when I'm setting up cameras for on track footage of our race bikes, I use the same settings that I would with our old Hero 2 HD's.  

Here is a video with a mix of Hero 2 and Hero 3 cameras, try and figure out which one is which. 

Edited by natedogg624

paging Bark615...

I think he has a couple of Hero 2's and one Hero 3.  We run them on the XR100's pretty much every race.

The adhesive bases work pretty well.  I have one on my helmet.  Otherwise you're talking about drilling a 1/4" hole to mount the base.  Of course there are other options involving the mirror bolts, gas tank, etc.

The 2 vs 3 debate comes down to $$$ and weight.  Unless you want to shoot 4k video I would go for whatever you can get a good deal on.

I have run the adhesive helmet mount and the tripod adapter mounted drilled onto the fender of the race bikes.  I'm sure you don't want to drill your street bike fenders. ;)    I haven't tried any streetbike mounts yet.

I use HD cameras on my R/C airplanes and multirotors to record flights. a TON of pilots are dropping GoPros because of size and cost

Get a Mobius

Less than $100, full HD, smaller than a GoPro and TOUGH (several have taken direct impact on the ground in a plane crash and survived no issue)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-Full-HD-Sports-Camera-1080P-30FPS-720P-60FPS-Pocket-Camcorder-/151071891306?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item232c961f6a

Sounds interesting, except they seem to ship from China or Hong Kong.  I have had bad luck buying stuff from there.

I have a Hero 2 bought for $150 with some goodies from another OR inmate and I've been having fun with it.  My favorite mount so far is a curved adhesive tab attached to my helmet's chin.  It's rock-solid and gives me the ability to start and stop recording with my hand, which is nice on longer trips where I don't want a whole memory card of boring stretches.  It also tracks with my eyesight and absorbs a lot of vibration, though it does pick up head bobbles and wind turbulence.

I've used a suction mount on the windscreen and tank side for other perspectives and it looks great, just picks up engine vibration, creating "jello" effects at specific RPMs.

glad you like it man, I missed it so much I had to go out and get another, I upgraded to the hero 3 though.

I have a Sony HDR-AS15. For the price the picture quality is much better than GoPro. I bought a helmet mount and bike mount for cheap on Amazon. It works really, really nice and pictures at 1080p/60FPS with steadyshot on are amazing. I paid about $220 for everything. 

I too have the AS-15 and love the video quality but am having trouble finding a suitable mounting spot on the bike (prefer not to helmet mount).  Within the waterproof case, I mounted on the right side fairing with 3M dual lock and I got up to 92mph...that sucker stayed put. 

I prefer the Drift Ghost HD, comes waterproof up to 9m out of the box, where you'd have to buy a separate waterproof case from GoPro. The Drift also has a lower profile so it's a bit more aerodynamic. They both offer equal mounts. The Drift Ghost also offers a nice display within the camera which is a great feature that the GoPro Hero 3 doesn't offer.

The greatest thing I can say, is that one day my camera flew off my bike at 55mph (my own fault cause I tried moving a sticky mount without replacing the sticky part so it didn't hold) and it got ran over by a car and still works like brand new.  The battery cover did come off and I couldn't find it, so after contacting the customer support at Drift, they sent me a replacement at no cost and were very good about it.  I'd recommend them to anyone. 

I too have the AS-15 and love the video quality but am having trouble finding a suitable mounting spot on the bike (prefer not to helmet mount).  Within the waterproof case, I mounted on the right side fairing with 3M dual lock and I got up to 92mph...that sucker stayed put. 

I have both cases for it. They came out with a new case. it is water resistant but it allows better sounds AND you can access all the buttons. It is both slimmer and lighter. I use this with our "aerospace-grade" velcro or my slim suction cup mount. My fav sport is on top of the front fender. If you want I can send you some pics of my set-up. 

I've got a hero 3 and use the suction cup mount off the side of the tank. I like the angle catching a bit of the engine and front wheel. The suction cup mount seems to dampen vibration reasonably well.

I also have a contour I use as a helmet cam. The GoPro's size/shape doesn't lend itself will as a helmet cam IMO, at least for riding.

I preferred my contourHD for the price and it was easier to turn on and off with gloves than the original GoPro. I've not used a 2 or 3 though so not sure if they are leaps and bounds better from experience

I have both cases for it. They came out with a new case. it is water resistant but it allows better sounds AND you can access all the buttons. It is both slimmer and lighter. I use this with our "aerospace-grade" velcro or my slim suction cup mount. My fav sport is on top of the front fender. If you want I can send you some pics of my set-up.

If you don't mind, that would be great!

FWIW, the Hero 3+ comes with a wifi remote, can do wide angle, high framerate modes the others's can't, better low-light performance, higher possible bitrate, etc.

Just an experiment, 1080P 30 FPS - nothing earth shattering.

I have mounted mine everywhere on the bike the coolest looking pics are when I mount a 5 foot broom stick to my sissy bar and put the camera at the top pointing slightly down ether forward or backward you get some nice shots when riding in groups and on the twisties

FWIW, the Hero 3+ comes with a wifi remote, can do wide angle, high framerate modes the others's can't, better low-light performance, higher possible bitrate, etc.

Just an experiment, 1080P 30 FPS - nothing earth shattering.

These are the major reasons I bought the Hero 3+ Black.  It also doubles for my scuba camera as it is the only camera with a housing for depths.

I'm really liking the new Sony. In the comparisons I've seen it bests the Hero3 in video quality and image stabilization looks to be leaps and bounds over the gopro.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/me3d/accessories.html?contentsTop=1

Garmin Virb would be my second choice.

Edited by RCBS

The AS15 that I have does two levels of slow mode, 120 and 170 degree FOV, 720P 30/60 FPS, 1080P 30/60FPS, Steadyshot, you can use your phone as the remote and it is a backlit CCD. 

The new version is GPS enabled so you can see route and speed info.