1st track day

Subisti

Hey guys i just purchased a 675r and im am super excited to get to my first track. I dont know anyone that rides so i was hoping to make some friends here so i might know a friendly face or two. I live in alliance ohio. And am planning on doing a few novice track days at mid ohio. I was curious as to how most of you transport your bikes? I have a ram 2500 would you guys buy ramps and haul in the bed? Or rent a uhaul trailer? Also how much gas should i bring? Also i bought a rear stand, will i need a front stand for novice?

Thanks

I did my first track days a month or so ago.  I wrote a review if you are interested in reading about what you are in for.  http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/104555-two-days-at-mid-ohio/

As for transporting the bike, just do what works for you.  As long as you get your bike and gear there you are in good shape.  The track provides lunch so just bring some snacks and plenty  of water.  I used approximately 1-1/2 tanks of gas per day in novice.  You will only need a front stand if you have a problem.

Edited by lowcel

Here's the list that I go over before every Track Day!

I copied this from AFJ site,so Thanks Prez !

Checklist:

For those of you showing interest in trackdays this may help you...

TRACK DAY/RACE LIST

Gear

____ Helmet and visors

____ Gloves

____ Boots

____ Leathers

____ Back protector/chest protector 

check book

____ Underarmor/Under leather cloths

____ Sunglasses/riding glasses

BIKE AND BIKE PARTS

____ BIKE

____ Front and rear stand

____ Extra wheels

____ Extra tires

____ Tire warmers

____ Extension cords and splitters

____ Parts box

____ all lubes(oils,lubes,cleanders,DIALsoap,Wd-40,grease)

____ Lap timer

____ Extra key

Tools

____ Tire irons

____ axle tools

____ Safety wire pliers(safety wire)

____ Bead breaker

____ Rachets

____ Alen wrenches

____ Batteries(AA and a 12vlt)

____ tool box

Trailer

____ bed

____ tent

____ blankets/pillow

____ cooler

____ EZ-UP

____ Straps

____ canyon Dancer

____ Chairs

____ Floor jack

____ Lugnut wrench

____ fixaflat

____ air tank(full 120psi)

____ Flashlight

____ Heater

____ Shower towel

____ shampoo/soap/deoderent

____ 4 sale stuff

____ Umbrella

____ Junkies shirts

____ junkies Stickers

____ junkies cards

____ WERA lic/forms

Cloths

____ pants/shorts

____ shirts(long/short)

____ undies

____ Socks X4pair

____ hat

____ Sweater/Jacket

____ Neck warmer

____ gloves(jersey)

____ sandles

Misc

____ cooler

____ food

____ grill

____ pans

____ map

____ directions

____ Generator

____ fan

____ radio(dewalt)

____ Drill

____ light

____ check book

____ hookers and blow 

Media-Electronics

____ laptop

____ Moto cam(box,DVR,wires,charger,memory sticks)

____ Wires(power commander,moto cam,camcorder,misc)

____ camera(charged w/charger)

____ Camcorder(also charged with charger)

____ Memory sticks for both

____ Helmet cam(charged)

____ cell phone charger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by J_Copeland

If you have a truck and just one bike, there's no need to invest in renting/buying a trailer....at first. However, you'll probably want to sell your house to live in a toy hauler and travel to every track on the planet so your new addiction gets well fed :D

• Upvote 2

If you not using tire warmers you don't need stands if you have kickstand,if you don't have kickstand rear stand is enough.

If you have somebody who can help you put your bike on your truck bed ,just get ramp.people at track help you take the bike down,and end of the day loaded.fill up your bike and bring 5 galon gas tank,that should last you all day.

Hopefully I'll be back next week at midohio,I will be in coaches garage # 14, if you need any help.

• Upvote 1

No one needs tire warmers for their first track day. The side stand and decent street tires are plenty.

Just show up with a lawn chair, lots of water, sun screen, and an open mind.

A full tank plus 5 gallons should be way more than enough gas. Borrow shade from your neighbors. Have fun. You'll learn very quickly what you wish you had packed.

I always bring extra undies and change mine at lunch, and again before the drive home. Sweaty drawers suck.

We rent suits,he need bring helmet,boots,gloves.you can bring as many family members,or friends you want,no gate fee.

If you not going rent garage $ 50,bring tent.midohio provide free lunch.Don't forget chairs,plenty of water, cleaner for visor.

yeah, a canopy is a good idea if you have one.  I didn't on my first day.  but I met 3 guys who I still talk to by sharing their shade.  I traded them some beers for plastic-ware to spread my PB&J :p

So i Just measured the bike and truck bed. and the bike is londer than 6 feet.... Do most of you just leave the tailgate down? or do you guys normlly have 8 foot beds? Not sure now on transport, may need to get a trailer.

tailgate down.  I did this for years with my ranger before buying a trailer.

We still run with JB's tailgate down when both XR's are in the bed.  Leaves us room for the cooler on the tailgate (strapped to the bed extender).

When its folded up go u put it next ti the bike? Or will it fit in the truck? That looks like a great set up. Dumb question...do u manually push the bike up? Or kinda ride the clutch walking next to it?

When its folded up go u put it next ti the bike? Or will it fit in the truck? That looks like a great set up. Dumb question...do u manually push the bike up? Or kinda ride the clutch walking next to it?

walk it up.  I didn't click on the image of the ramp, but it should be almost like a ladder.  The "rungs" make it easier to push the bike up, rather than forward (if that makes sense).

And don't be afraid to ask for help.  I walked my bike up a ramp while slipping the clutch ONE time, and was terrified throughout the entire process.  I don't recommend it.  Way more likely that it goes wrong. 

If track days are something you see yourself getting into after the first one pick up a cheap trailer. Honestly I hate loading bikes into truck beds but not worth buying a trailer if you are going to use it once.