2014 Spring Epic Ride Media Thread

Dizzledan

I talked to him after the ride, he said he had a good time. The way he was riding reminded me of my first group ride, way over my head trying to keep up until someone told me to ride my own pace and meet them at the next turn. 

• Upvote 1

Start of the Epic Ride - POV: Whaler (sweeping Med-fast)

Route 93 - Not all that exciting since he had the FZ09 rider in front of him, but wanted to upload all the content I had.  Had to put music to it cause it was all wind noise.

Out of curiosity, what kind of speeds are we talking about when the group was losing him?  Obviously the turns are where he's lacking confidence as he seemed to catch up a few times in the straights.  Again, props to the sweep for recognizing the situation and taking action.

Out of curiosity, what kind of speeds are we talking about when the group was losing him?  Obviously the turns are where he's lacking confidence as he seemed to catch up a few times in the straights.  Again, props to the sweep for recognizing the situation and taking action.

I'd say when we were going we were going about 75-80 mph through the straights, but when recognized people were falling behind I would slow down for a bit until I saw them catch up.    We also had a few parts on 93 where we got bound up in traffic and I had to leap frog cars. Quite a few people got stuck there so that was a good catch up point as well.  

I know the best thing that helped when I moved from a cruiser to a sport bike was riding longer routes with a couple of experienced riders.  It was a whole new world for me on a sport bike, everything I knew and learned on my cruiser was now different.  It took a few seasons just for me to feel comfortable with my new bike.  The guys I continuously ride with are great, always giving advice which helped me tremendously with turns.  Where to pick my line, how to position myself on entry, entry speed, what gear to be in, when to accelerate out, all things I never thought about before that veteran riders were able to help me with.  We also trade positions, I will lead a segment and set the pace, then sweep the next segment, then ride the middle in the next.  This also is priceless practice that veteran riders can help a NewB with.  I never wanted to lead, but I did it to help me learn how to set the pace, how to space yourself from the next rider, how and where to pass cars, how to notify the riders behind you of debris or dead animals in the road, etc.  I learned all this riding in a 2-3 rider group with veteran riders.  The best thing for that dude is to continue to get to know and trust his bike and ride with a couple veteran riders who are willing to run a slower pace to critique and help him to become more comfortable.  Once he can maintain a comfortable pace with 2-3 riders, a 10 -12 rider group really doesn't change anything, I know it didn't for me my first big group ride.

My first group ride with you guys was with the likes of IP, jschaf, Doc, Gasser, Az, and a few others of the same skill level. I was way slower than all of them thanks to AZ and Gasser for sweeping me. I think the biggest thing for me is not knowing the road / what to ask at stops. On roads I'm not familiar with I need a "tow" for hints as to what comes next lol doesn't help when they are that much faster than I tho haha.

With that said, no matter the pace it's always fun riding with OR members.

Sent from my iPhone.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

My first group ride with you guys was with the likes of IP, jschaf, Doc, Gasser, Az, and a few others of the same skill level. I was way slower than all of them thanks to AZ and Gasser for sweeping me. I think the biggest thing for me is not knowing the road / what to ask at stops. On roads I'm not familiar with I need a "tow" for hints as to what comes next lol doesn't help when they are that much faster than I tho haha. With that said, no matter the pace it's always fun riding with OR members. Sent from my iPhone.

We can always do another park ride.  I love talking cornering technique :)  

We can always do another park ride. I love talking cornering technique :)

I'm down whenever lol supposed to be nice this weekend ;)

I'd love to pick you guys brains but as I said sometimes I just don't know what to ask besides "how are you going so much faster than I am!?" Haha it's not a competition on the street but I strive to become a better safer rider every time I hope on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone.

My first group ride with you guys was with the likes of IP, jschaf, Doc, Gasser, Az, and a few others of the same skill level. I was way slower than all of them thanks to AZ and Gasser for sweeping me. I think the biggest thing for me is not knowing the road / what to ask at stops. On roads I'm not familiar with I need a "tow" for hints as to what comes next lol doesn't help when they are that much faster than I tho haha. With that said, no matter the pace it's always fun riding with OR members. Sent from my iPhone.

haha that was an awesome day and ride, it was "medium paced" :D  and huge props to you for riding like a pro and sticking to basics and not loosing head. We had two incidents on that one ride :( . And Alzheimer is always a great fellow and stuck to sweeping and he was happy doing it and keeping an eye on you. You gonna be just fine as long as you keep going out and riding with them guys. Buy a VFR so you dont feel like its a chore to do long rides :)

Edited by NinjaDoc

I'm down whenever lol supposed to be nice this weekend ;)

I'd love to pick you guys brains but as I said sometimes I just don't know what to ask besides "how are you going so much faster than I am!?" Haha it's not a competition on the street but I strive to become a better safer rider every time I hope on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone.

I should have time time for a park ride Sunday around noon. 

Which park? I wanna ride in this queer MotoGP street fantasy. :)

You've been reading old threads again, right?   Actually, it'll pretty much be the same route as that ride.

Meet at the BP at 77/82 in Broadview Heights and ride through Peninsula, Bath, etc.

Nice work to all the sweeps. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest help to Derek last year early in the season when he needed it. No patience....props!

Sometimes the best way to learn to swim is to jump in the lake and hope for the best.

This is the POV from Dizzledan... This will represent a little more of what the med-fast pace was towards the front. I am the lead bike. The R1 you will see towards the second half of the video is that of Mojocho. NO music this time because the wind noise wasn't terrible. 

Thanks for the footage dd!

• Upvote 1

Yeah. I thought I paid Dan to edit that out. I haven't done that since I first started riding. That dropped to the right quicker than I thought it would. My second "doh" moment in that video.

• Upvote 1