6/9 6/10 mid ohio

Subisti

Traction was pretty damn good in the morning...even with a slight drizzle during the 3rd session.  It picked up during lunch and traction was gone for the 4th session....I made it the Honda bridge before losing the ass end and lowsiding.    :crazy:   Oh well, it was fun slipping around up to that point, just pitched it over too quick with a little too much maintenance throttle. 

Yeah, that looks like all kinds of fun.  Glad you are okay though.  Which class are you in?

I'm one of the slower guys in A.  This was the first time my lap timer worked at mid-o; best time from today was a 46 flat.  Wish the weather held out; need more time to figure out the track.

I'm one of the slower guys in A. This was the first time my lap timer worked at mid-o; best time from today was a 46 flat. Wish the weather held out; need more time to figure out the track.

Very nice. I would love to be running 46's.

Well I did all of Monday and went till lunch on Tuesday, I never dumped it so success on my goals for the 2 days. I felt pretty overwhelmed the first few sessions. I was in group 6 of 8 and a lot of trouble keeping up, but by the end of the day I could feel myself relax and actually start enjoying it. I have much to improve on but am pretty sure I caught the bug :). I do have a quick question. My bike came with Pirelli diablo supercorsas. I was reading through roadracing world track directory and they said I should be running 29 front and 25 rear in those tires, as well as have tire warmers. I was running 33/33 not knowing any better. and Being my first time on a track didn't have tire warmers, Is this something I need to get sooner than later? I Didn't think I had any traction issues. but being new Short of the back end sliding out completely maybe I did and just didn't realize it. Any help would be great thanks.

PS Thanks a lot to Rusty848 a lot of helpful pointers in both the class and when I talked to him after the fact, I greatly appreciated it!!

Which super corsa are they, they make a street version which are the sp or race version which will have either a sc1 or sc2 on them. You can run either without warmers but the race version would be better off with them, mostly to avoid over heat cycling them. I'm assuming your in novice so you may not be going fast enough to keep heat in a race tire, they usually have to be ridden hard. If they are the sc they stated pressure doesn't sound right, I think they are more in the 30 range. Also, the 29/25 pressures are cold, they are better off set hot usually 31/27 range +-1psi.

Edited by blue03636

Was my first time at mid ohio and will be going back for sure, there is so much that you can learn at that track. I ran some pretty crappy times, but at the end of the day the bike and I were in one piece and it sure beats spending a day at the office.

I got there late so my first session I went out on my GPAs with no warmers, that mixed with a cold mid o track made for some fun times. I think I was more worried about keeping the bike up than I was to sighting the track. Next session felt better on warm tires and got the lay of the track. The third session "and last one of the day" it was sprinkling but the track was dry so I took it fairly easy.

But any day you can get home and you and the bike are in the same condition they were when you left in the morning is a good day.

Um they say S2, not sure if that is the race tire or not they came factory on my 2014 675r. Im sure I wasn't running them hard enough to keep heat in them. but they were relatively warm when I got back to the pits. Any advice as to the warmers if you thnk I need them, Really not wanting to break the bank but Don't want to rebuy a year from now due to buying bad ones.

Those are the street tire not the race tire if they came from the factory. You don't need warmers on them. I'm checking on the pressures for you but I don't think they run the same as the race tire.

As for them being warm, they will be. What I was getting at is that a race tire needs to be hot in order to work, most novice with the lead follow and whatnot are not going to generate enough heat to make them work. They should be hot to the touch when you get off track, warmers run around 175 deg to give you an idea of how hot they get.

3rd session...working on a better line thought the keyhole and carousel; trying to get a better drive onto the front and back straights.  Can't wait to go back.  Wish I could make the 22nd twilight, but I'll be at a family reunion 4 hours away.  Setting the goal of consistant low 40's this summer.

Looks like I'm headed up august 5th or 6th what should I expect? I've read the mid o site to make sure my bike is square for novice, just curious about what I should expect that's not in writing. I know there are a few threads on this just can't seem to find them on my phone. Thanks!

Edited by Dying Shadow

you should expect....a great time...to become addicted....

goes like this:

arrive at the track

sign wavier at the gate

find parking space

prep bike if necessary

register/sign in and get sticker for the bike and probably a shirt

tech bike (a track guy/girl looks over bike and approves it to go on the track)

relax and bs with people if you have arrived early enough

drink water!

walk down to the riders meeting...pay attention

go to the novice school...pay attention....nerves start to kick in because there is a lot of new info thrown at you...flags, corner worker stations, pit in/out

go out for the first session....feel like a fish out of water...take it easy! 

come back in (it will either be straight back to school or a 20 minute break then school)

DRINK MORE WATER

get back on the track....start to realize you don't have to worry about cars and road related hazards....get more comfortable

back to school, bring a bottle of water

nerves die down as you go back out on the track...start to pick up pace a little...start to enjoy yourself.

lunch then back to school..."when are we going back out on track?!?! this class needs to hurry up!!!"

and repeat for the rest of the day...

• Upvote 2

Thanks Ryan! I'm excited and a bit nervous even tho its still a while out. Wasn't gonna register till it gets closer hoping the weather is good! Think jdonn, jay848, and maybe habi might also go up.

Edited by Dying Shadow

Since I took a hit of the track pipe I have ridden on the street 2 or 3 times in 10 months. 

I think I need rehab. Ehh.... I know I need rehab but dont give a F. 17 days until PIRC!!!!

Edited by Jester_

Well being just finished my first track days, My 2 cents, I was pretty stressed out the first few times on the track, My advice don't try to keep up if you cant. they have a bike on the wall for people that stuggle behind. You can get your own couch for a bit. I was supposed to be in a slow group 6 of 8. but it didn't feel slow to me at all, Just take your time and realize you can always go faster next time around.