Heading South for the big weekend

Nighthawk

New to the forum here, but not new to riding Ohio, KY, TN, NC or the other 45 states. I did the math I have not rode on an Island..yet.

Heading out May 23 for 5 days. Hitting the main roads like Back of the dragon, Diamondback loop, The snake AND Deal's Gap. I'll be camping and taking back roads all the way there.

I ride a 1995 BMW R1100RS. I have been riding for about 35 years now. 

Anyone else head that way??

I know you folks just had the trip down to Deal's Gap, but maybe some of you didn't get to make it. 

I'm not a speedster, but do enjoy a good rode. No goofy stuff for this guy.

post-17661-0-01914700-1400557139_thumb.j

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm contemplating an overnight trip over the weekend, but not committed yet. I live in Nashville so it'd be something within a 4-5 hour ride from here. Post up where you're at as you go places, if my trip comes to fruition I will try to link up for a bit.

Sent while riding

• 2 weeks later...
I had a great weekend of riding. I didn't take ANY pictures. Route 7 in KY heading south was all mine. Very little local traffic and tree tunnels for miles and miles. if you like riding in the summer in shade and cool air RT 7 is the road for you. It was in good shape, it had two hair pins turns that allowed you to see the tail end of your own bike, they were that tight and up hill.

Spent the first night in Bristol in a motel, all the state parks were full. In the morning I ran The Snake to Mountian City and had biscuits and gravy at the store, picked up a new t-shirt. Headed West to little switzerland to run that loop and got a new t-shirt. Road was brand NEW I think I was the third person on it. Then off to Maggie Valley for the WTT stop. Paid my 10 bucks to get in and looked around and get my new t-shirt. Very cool place (needed more BMWs) and just as I was walking out, none other then the man himself came riding in the front doors on a peddle start Harley. Looking like he just finished working on a bike.

Then headed off for Deal's Gap spent two nights riding around, reading and meeting new folks around the fire.

PS
If you have not checked camping gear, do So BEFORE you leave. Open up everything.
Edited by Nighthawk
  • Upvote 4

Sounds like a good ride. I went down to Lake Cumberland/Jamestown KY area for the long weekend from Columbus. Didn't take the bike...think I may next time though. Just trying to find a good route without having to slab most of the way.