Anyone into old camping gear?

speedytriple

I just bought a new to me popup camper the owner gave me all his camping stuff with it. One of the items was a older coleman camp stove. It runs on white gas and appears to be pretty old from what I can find online. It is a coleman model 425E. It has some light rust and I was wonder if it is a good idea to refinish it or leave it as is. Thanks for any help. 

I'd just scrub some of the grime out of it and use the hell out of it. I used to work at a Coleman store and we'd get people coming in that inherited their granddad's camp stove wondering if they needed to replace anything to get them to work. They almost always fired right up with a little cleaning, and most only needed fresh gas. Those things will last until the apocalypse.

just helped rebuild one of these with a friend... the red fuel container requires you to manually pump it build pressure... all the orings and valve stem packing were dried up and no good... a rebuild from coleman parts, and she cooks as good as new...

I say you clean it up a bit, and use the heck out of it...ebay has these things going for $30 ish... 

Parts and rebuilds direct from Coleman:

http://www.coleman.com/Parts/RNRP/repair-replacement-parts/425F499C/2-burner-gas-camp-stove

Might need to rebuild the pump, the old ones have a leather seal in them the new ones are rubber. They are available at Wal-Mart or any place that sells the Colman stuff. Leave it as is just try to clean up a bit. the way they work is the gas travels through the tube across the first burner which heats it to a vapor. So when it first lights it will be a tall orange flange till it warms up and turns into a controlled blueish flame.

Edited by 2talltim

If you really feel like doing a complete cleaning, this site shows disassembly and what to watch for, including getting that stupid check valve out. The check valve is cheap and easy to put back in, but getting it out can sometimes turn into a project.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/re_stove_a.php