Cigar pro's?

Bad324

I ordered a box of cigars for my wedding in 3 weeks and I don't quite have enough room in my humidor to fit them. The box is wrapped in plastic and was shipped to me today

My question is can I leave them in the box for 3 weeks without ruining them? Can I open to inspect or should I wait to open?

• Upvote 1

I am NOT a fan of the fridge or freezer approach - you will most certainly modify their humidity that way.  Seal them in a large plastic bag and keep them at room temperature.

Freezers are for killing bugs in cigars.

So I opened the box and they appear bug and mold free. I was able to fit half in my humidor and left the other half in the box, put in one of the gel tube things in to the box and put it in a ziplock bag

Arturo Fuente Double Chateau. 2nd best cigar I've had. The best one I've had was yesterday and only 4 shops in the state even can get them, Liga Privada #9

Arturo Fuente Double Chateau. 2nd best cigar I've had.

Seconded. Relatively inexpensive, mild, and smokes very well.  For an occasional cigar smoker, it's a great choice.

I've always wanted to try a quality cigar but I've never much cared for smoking (prefer dip) and just cough and hack when I did try. 

Save your money.  Unless you're a genuine aficionado, you're really not gonna appreciate the difference enough to justify it.  I've had $5 Olivas and $25 Cuban Cohibas in Europe and honestly can't justify the pricing difference.

Edited by smashweights
  • Upvote 1

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur - Churchill length, 54 ring gauge, Connecticut Shade wrapper.  Prepare to spend a couple hours smoking it... With a premium single malt scotch -  Orgasmic.

So I opened the box and they appear bug and mold free. I was able to fit half in my humidor and left the other half in the box, put in one of the gel tube things in to the box and put it in a ziplock bag

Best thing you could've done.

Padron anniversary series - still one of my all-time faves.  They're not cheap anymore though - Cigar Aficionado keeps complimenting them and the price has responded, but it's still a fantastic celebratory smoke. 

• Upvote 1

Save your money.  Unless you're a genuine aficionado, you're really not gonna appreciate the difference enough to justify it.  I've had $5 Olivas and $25 Cuban Cohibas in Europe and honestly can't justify the pricing difference.

This is pretty much how I feel about wine.  I've drank enough expensive wine to realize the difference doesn't matter to me.  Now liquor OTOH, I love a high end Vodka, Bourbon, or Tequila  :)   

This is pretty much how I feel about wine.  I've drank enough expensive wine to realize the difference doesn't matter to me.  Now liquor OTOH, I love a high end Vodka, Bourbon, or Tequila   :)   

This is true.  Wine I notice differences in brands more than cost.  I've bought $20-$30 bottles and honestly wasn't any more impressed than my favorite $10-12 bottles.  Though, I think the difference in liquor quality as you step up from low-end to mid-range is big but from the moderately priced to high price is marginal.  AKA: JD/Beam/etc is a big step down from some of the mid-range bourbons like Willet, Blanton's, etc but there's not a lot more to gain by going highball on them.  Same with scotch: cheap scotch is a big step down from mid-range stuff like Aberlour, Laphroaig, Ardbeg while the really expensive, super old stuff just doesn't seem like a big change, IMO.  But then again, the reason I notice the difference is because I drink a lot more whisky than I smoke cigars ;-)

Edited by smashweights

I used to be a big scotch guy, but now I'm bourbon and beer. I love a great bourbon....my go-to is Blanton's and Maker's when the 14 year old bar tender gives me the look.... You know the one I'm talking about.

As for Cigars... I'm perfectly satisfied in that $8-$15 range. I generally let the young enthusiast at the shop pick a few out for me. Some of my favorite nights have been cruising up high from Broad to Worthington smoking a nice cigar on the bike. And then finishing off with a nice glass of bourbon on ice.