Honda to produce RC213V Homologation

Ryan_c_F

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/hondas-motogp-replica-really-will-be-a-motogp-1583932750

Want to be World Champ Marc Marquez? Good news: next year Honda will release a replica of his RC213V race bike that will be as close as possible to the real thing. We've got exclusive details.

We've got sources at Honda. They gave us the exclusive details on the 2016 Honda Africa Twinand now have peaked under the 1,000cc V4 GP-replica's skirt and described what they've seen to us. One big detail that they refused to divulge was the name and one thing they couldn't find out was the release date. Other than that, I think we've got pretty much everything.

"The bike will be as close as you can get to the real thing," says our source. "81mm bore, 48.5mm stroke. It really won't be much different from the RC213V with blinkers and a headlight."

"The frame and swingarm are a goddamn work of art, the level of precision on this thing is tighter than anything I've seen short of the inside of engines," he continues. "I compared the frame dimensions to those of the GP bike and it appears to either be a carry-over or damn close to being one."

"One thing it won't have is the seamless gearbox. If a million dollar open class bike doesn't have it, the street version sure as hell won't have one."

rmvay5ih0jjatzw0cjqi.jpgSEXPAND

Same frame, same bore and stroke? Sounds like Honda's taking the term "replica" literally. You'll be able to experience what Dani and Marc do every other weekend.

Honda states that Marquez and Dani Pedrosa's RC213V race bikes make, "More than 235bhp" and weigh, "more than 160kg." That's the minimum weight for this top level of motorcycle racing. Our source says, "Final power and weight for the replica haven't been determined yet, but they'll be an awful lot and very little."

We can assume Honda will be aiming to beat the power output of the current most powerful production bike on-sale, the 1,200cc Ducati 1199 Panigale R. Equipped with its included track-only exhaust, that motorcycle makes 202bhp and weighs 165kg/364lbs (dry).

As on the MotoGP bike, the replica will feature the full suite of rider-aid electronics. Look for Honda to try and break new ground there, a necessary innovation to put this level of performance on the street.

The signs are that Honda's replica will be a higher-spec bike than that Panigale R or even its super-low volume Superleggera. Where those bikes are fitted with very nice Ohlins NIX30 forks and a TTX36 shock, our source says the Honda wears piggyback reservoir Ohlins FGR items. Those retail for $13,000+ all on their own and are the same items worn by the 2007 Ducati Desmosedici RR. Itself a V4 MotoGP replica, that bike retailed for $72,500. Pricing for the Honda has not yet been finalized, but is likely to match or exceed that of the Desmo. Wheels on the Honda are Marchesini items and brakes are by Brembo.

So what'll it look like? "All carbon bodywork with DZUS fasteners," says our source. "The graphics are similar to the GP test bike liveries — exposed carbon, minimal logos and full-on race numbers. It looks identical to the GP bike."SEXPAND

"The headlights are mounted in the 'mouth' and can be removed for competition use, giving you the full ram-air effect," the source explains, testifying to the track-focus of this machine. It'll be street legal, but you won't be able to even approach its full capability without hitting a race track.

"For whatever reason, Honda is seriously flexing its muscle with this one," they conclude. "If you put Marquez on it, he'll be able to lap close to the open bikes."

I am skeptical.

There is virtually no market for a $70k sport bike... If this happens, it will be purely to dominate world super bike an embarrass the competition. Honda usually makes smarter business decisions than that.

I am skeptical.

There is virtually no market for a $70k sport bike... If this happens, it will be purely to dominate world super bike an embarrass the competition. Honda usually makes smarter business decisions than that.

Apparently you missed the 1199SL and how well it was sold.  Never made a showroom.  Some deals went sideways once bikes were delivered, but sold out before they were shipped.

Always a market.  Depends on availability and how realistic it will be.  I do not foresee Honda doing this differently than what they already offer in the Customer Bike such as what Nicky is riding.

There is a market.  Always has been.  Always will be.

• Upvote 2

I don't see Honda having the same rabid (or wealthy) support Ducati has historically had. The Italian allure is not insignificant.

You must be new to motorcycles then. If it gets produced, they will sell. It won't be the first time Honda has done something like this, rc30 and rc45 come to mind. Although this is even more extreme than those which will make it even more desirable. There are plenty of collectors and wealthy people that will pony up the cash to have a something like this. It's not going to be the regular guy that's looking for his only bike.

This will not be a $70K bike. It will be more I think. The DD wasn't really a street-legal GP bike. It had a lot of similarities but many things had to be changed to make it liveable on the road. Honda is basically taking their customer RCV, put lights on it and replace the seamless transmission with a cassette-type.

Relatively speaking of MotoGP bikes, the Honda production RCV isn't even a true GP bike. Honda didn't find a creative solution with the new rules for 2014 and churned out this turd. Yamaha and Ducati were much smarter in this regard. And before I get flamed...yes I would not kick this bike out of bed even if it was eating crackers.

I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it being a financially viable business decision.  Seems like a lot of material costs and manufacturing work for a relatively small profit.

If the demand for these type of bikes is so high, I would expect Yamaha to follow suit with a street-legal M1.

You must be new to motorcycles then. If it gets produced, they will sell. It won't be the first time Honda has done something like this, rc30 and rc45 come to mind. Although this is even more extreme than those which will make it even more desirable. There are plenty of collectors and wealthy people that will pony up the cash to have a something like this. It's not going to be the regular guy that's looking for his only bike.

He knows everything about the motorcycle industry.  You're being silly with such great examples.  What were you thinking?  :p  By the way, you racing WERA at Mid-O, right?  You doing the Twilight on the 22nd?

• Upvote 1

By the way, you racing WERA at Mid-O, right?  You doing the Twilight on the 22nd?

Yes, I'm planning on racing and the twilight as long as I get my bike squared away. It's still running hot. I left it with Mark J. at the last track days. I should here something hopefully today.

Edited by OSUYZFR1

I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it being a financially viable business decision.  Seems like a lot of material costs and manufacturing work for a relatively small profit.

Couldn't be any worse than the DN-01.

It is...the NM4 Vultus. Someone was watching too much Akira.

I still maintain that, with the powertrain from the VFR1200, that would be an awesome bike for distance.

I would 100% be saving towards one right now. It's too bonkers-looking for that piddly parallel-twin.

Doubt it will happen... Here's a 2yr old article talking about the same bike www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/honda-rc123-v4-street-bike-cost-100000/

However,I still stand by my statement that if they ever did proceed with it, they would sell out quickly. Would they turn a profit? Probably not. I don't imagine them making too many. But the loss wouldn't even be noticeable for them.