Do you have a drz400sm?

oldschoolsdime92

I saw this on the FZ1 forum...relatively easy pickup if you are going to the gap rally. Not a DRZ but looks like fun.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/4490149554.html

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133321

If I were to get another supermoto it would be the 650R not L. This is coming from a drz owner.

I rented a DRZ400SM from sportbikes4hire a couple years ago when I was visiting the Gap.

A lot of fun, especially on those roads. 

They brought the bike right to the cabin we were staying in and picked up after I was done.

Might be worth a try if you are considering buying one.

Craig

It's been there on a practice day. I'm not racing it there, entirely too much bike for that track. I may bring it to the PIRC round

You should have seen Will's bike last year. Full race spec 650 from what I was told. He ran the whole track in 2nd gear and couldn't keep the front wheel down.

Hopefully Stump will show up to PIRC. That dude will put on a show on a 450. I believe he is technically a pro flat tracker. Not sure if it's his brother or his son who has raced AMA pro at mid-Ohio, but JB and I were sitting near their fan club in the keyhole last year.

Here's my biggest question- does it have enough "go" to be able to run big track days? Obviously in the straights it will be down on power, but I've got two track days at mid O on the schedule, and potentially a putnam.

It does but is better suited for smaller tracks like Putnam. It will still be fun

Here's my biggest question- does it have enough "go" to be able to run big track days? Obviously in the straights it will be down on power, but I've got two track days at mid O on the schedule, and potentially a putnam.

I would expect a DRZ400 to be similar to riding a Ninja250R on the track. Should handle a little better and pull out of the corners with a little more grunt but top end will be similar. 

I've never ridden track so can't say about that but speed and acceleration is nothing like a SV650, so I would think it would be much better suited to a small tight track.

Craig

It does but is better suited for smaller tracks like Putnam. It will still be fun

Summit Point Jefferson Circuit is even better still.  Although I believe they extended the track there...

Some orgs will not allow supermotos to ride on any track where they deem closing speeds to be a major issue.  I cannot speak for N2, but I know NESBA only allowed Motards at Jefferson (in this area of the country).

The ninja 250 will out perform the drz in all areas you just mentioned at the track.

Except a cart track

I think that would be a really fun comparison to do some time.  I have never ridden a 400 or a 450, and my seat time on a 250 is extremely limited (like, tried it in a parking lot without a helmet on).

I would speculate that a 450 would accelerate much better at low RPM, and thus, as you suggest, give the singles a big edge on a kart track.  But the 250 should kill it on the top-end.

What I can't even begin to speculate is how a dirt chassis feels in high-speed corners.  The EX250 is hardly a race chassis, but it's at least set up for street use.

Then the 2008 EX250 had to go and change everything with the 17" wheels.  The rubber options really opened up, and made the prior generation pretty uncompetitive in a racing environment :(

The drz is a 400 not 450. Power on the the drz is nowhere near a 450 sumo Chris.

Like I said, I've never ridden either, so I have no idea what the comparison would be.  Actually, the XR100 is pretty much the only dirt bike I've ever ridden.

what's the power difference?  are we talking the difference between a ninja 250 and a ninja 363, or more like 650 versus 636?

Edited by redkow97