Do you have a drz400sm?

oldschoolsdime92

Night and day difference. The drz is substantially heavier, geared diff, lower powered and less handling.

The difference between a drz400sm and a crf450r converted to sumo is more like 600 to 1000 comparison as far as a seat of the pants feel. The drz is fun no lie, that's why I had 2 of them, but it's not even close to the 450r

By the numbers the

DRZ400SM 35hp, 321lb

CRF450R 55hp 243lb

Ninja 250R 25hp 371lb

I'm surprised that you think the Ninja was that much better than the DRZ given that the DRZ has considerable more hp, less weight and better suspension components (at least more expensive).

However as is obvious the CRF450R is in a different league. The DRZ is a compromise to keep the costs reasonable and maintenance schedule in line with road bikes it is heavier and less powerful than the offroad race bikes like the CRF.

I've spent some time on both the Ninja (owned 1 for a year) and the DRZ (> 300 miles around Deals Gap), but I've no track experience and only modest skill so I will defer to others on comparisons in performance.

Craig 

The ninja has better gearing, more top speed, better ergos for the track. The ninja also handles very good. On a cart track the drz will have the advantage. On a regular road course track the ninja is better. The ninja has considerably more top end than the drz motor wise too.

By the numbers the

DRZ400SM 35hp, 321lb

CRF450R 55hp 243lb

Ninja 250R 25hp 371lb

I'm surprised that you think the Ninja was that much better than the DRZ given that the DRZ has considerable more hp, less weight and better suspension components (at least more expensive).

However as is obvious the CRF450R is in a different league. The DRZ is a compromise to keep the costs reasonable and maintenance schedule in line with road bikes it is heavier and less powerful than the offroad race bikes like the CRF.

I've spent some time on both the Ninja (owned 1 for a year) and the DRZ (> 300 miles around Deals Gap), but I've no track experience and only modest skill so I will defer to others on comparisons in performance.

Craig

That 35hp for a stock drz/sm is pretty hopeful.

My bike put down 41.

Most stock sm's are 30-32hp

Edited by rawlins87

I still really want one!

Get one then. They are fun, I'm not down talking them. Was just pointing out he was mistaken in saying it would out do the ninja at the track. I had a ball with the 2 I had and had them both at the gap too. Nothing more fun on 129 than a sumo. I just wanted more power than I could ever get out of one so I went to the CRF. They are are fun and you will enjoy it more than the FZ that I promise you.

That 35hp for a stock drz/sm is pretty hopeful.

My bike put down 41.

Most stock sm's are 30-32hp

If you get an FCR carb, 3x3 airbox mod and flow exhaust it's usually around 40. Without the FCR carb, I think it's around 35 or 36

Well I passed on the current drz I was looking at. I really wanna get some kart track action one of these days! G&j kartway is only 45 minutes from my house!

I haven't been to G&J, but I believe it is smaller and tighter than CRP.  Are you insistent upon a bike you can ride to the track, or would something smaller and cheaper be an option?