Is this a good deal?

JackFlash

KBB shows a suggested retail of $5645 on a bike in excellent condition.

NADA shows a low retail of $5894.

This bike has less than 1200 miles on it, per year of age.

2009 FZ1...full fairing...tall tinted windscreen...6800 miles...Sargent seat...Pazzo levers...$5000 OBO.

I'm fishing for my next bike.  Is this a good deal?  Comments?

00r0r_drZZRYwQsm0_600x450.jpg

If he's saying 5000 OBO you could probably walk away with that bike for under 4500 if you show up with cash.

I've trolled the Craigslist quite a bit over the last year, and bike like FZ1, FZ06, etc just done sell as well as their race replica brethren. I'd lowball.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Too big of a step up for you bud at this point, that bike is no joke. Of course it might scare you so bad for a while that you might respect it for quite some time, but I still think its little brother is the best overall choice.

It was a pretty new, lot of bike, for a reasonable amount... we had to know it wouldn't last long.  

But it's true about the race-brethren... SuperSport/flashier bikes do tend to sell faster.  There are a lot of good deals to be had on Craigslist, if you're willing to depart from mainstream squidliness.  Even more if you know enough about bikes to work on them yourself.

There are a lot of good deals to be had on Craigslist, if you're willing to depart from mainstream squidliness.  Even more if you know enough about bikes to work on them yourself.

And aren't worried about color :trollface:

Edited by 2talltim

i will never paint a bike unless it needs it, because the first thing wonder when i look at one that was painted is "why was it painted, what was wrong with it", it often make me not want to buy it

• Upvote 1

i will never paint a bike unless it needs it, because the first thing wonder when i look at one that was painted is "why was it painted, what was wrong with it", it often make me not want to buy it

For sporty bikes...new paint, new parts, or custom = wrecked and trying to hide damage 

• Upvote 2

my thoughts exactly

Ditto, and no matter what the reason for the paint, I want to know how it was applied, especially the materials.  I won't buy anything rattle-canned unless I plan to strip and repaint it with a multi-layer 2K clear on top.

And aren't worried about color :trollface:

LOL, Busted.    I'm not gonna lie, I care about how me & my bike look when I ride, since I know everyone is lookin' :)  And I like some colors a whoooole lot more than others.  First choice: blue.  And you'll never see me on a yellow bike, either.  (Okay, well, once during a 15-minute swap.  Never say never!)

I actully responded to this craigslist ad, this FZ1 is sold (not to me).

Was just about to post the same thing. He just emailed me it's sold too

I sent a message today.  Didn't get a reply yet.

I suppose it shows that good deals are out there.

For sporty bikes...new paint, new parts, or custom = wrecked and trying to hide damage 

Ditto, and no matter what the reason for the paint, I want to know how it was applied, especially the materials.  I won't buy anything rattle-canned unless I plan to strip and repaint it with a multi-layer 2K clear on top.

I have new mirrors, left foot peg, and I'm getting two new

left side blinkers for the GS.  They got scuffed up on the

555 last spring. 

I'll work on the scuffs on the fairing and rattle can it in a

color I like.  Maybe flat black.  I hope that doesn't hurt it

much.  The original decals and paint are not pleasing to

my eye and I think, date the bike to an earlier time.

Harbor Freight has air brush kits.  The fairing might be a

good place to practice learning to how to use one.

Edited by JackFlash

Eh...you can usually tell if the plastics are damaged by looking at them,

unless they've been repaired and painted, in which case they've been

REPAIRED.

I'll willing admit that side of the bike went down in a slippery curve

on a dusty road at a low speed.  I just think it will look better if the

scrapes are fixed.  It will give me something to learn on for fixing

plastic.  And for a learner bike, it will retain some of it's visual

appeal, I hope.

Edited by JackFlash

Bondo...it's all in the mix. You don't have to get crazy and weigh it out unless you're ocd, but measure the components carefully and mix thoroughly. Helps to knock down the high areas on the scrape with some 80 grit. Spread it into the scrape with a putty knife or whatever. Let cure completely, then sand, prime, shadow, sand...rinse, repeat.... then when you can't tell where the repair was with it primered, sand and primer and primer again and then paint.

• Upvote 1

Bondo...it's all in the mix. You don't have to get crazy and weigh it out unless you're ocd, but measure the components carefully and mix thoroughly. Helps to knock down the high areas on the scrape with some 80 grit. Spread it into the scrape with a putty knife or whatever. Let cure completely, then sand, prime, shadow, sand...rinse, repeat.... then when you can't tell where the repair was with it primered, sand and primer and primer again and then paint.

I've been all over YouTube watching videos of how to repair

ABS plastic.  There is a chip on the top edge to fill in, and I have

another chip to reattach.  How about that plastafix powder? 

Have you tried it?