Thinking of getting a GoPro for rides...

Scene

So,

I am saving up to get a GoPro so I can take videos of some rides and maybe get into some MotoVlogging.

Anyone recommend a cost effective version of the GoPro? They seem to have many different versions and I just want to know if anyone else is using one and what type they recommend?

Also, are there specific mounts that I need to get as well to attach to my helmet or on the motorcycle itself?

Speaking of helmets, I plan on getting an Icon Variant helmet. I'm not sure if there are specific mounts for each type of helmet, so I just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks!

Dizzledan is our local go pro whore.

I have a go pro hero 3black edition. I probably dont use it to its full potention.

The only mount I would shy away from is the suction cup mount. I lost mine a couple weeks ago while out on the bike. Apparently 65 mph freeway speeds were too much.

Hmm I'll look into the Sony version!

My buddy has a GoPro, not sure what version. But we used a suction cup mount on my car before. It held okay, but then again we were only driving around 40-45mph. I definitely want something secure so I don't have to worry about it flying off lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm I'll look into the Sony version!

My buddy has a GoPro, not sure what version. But we used a suction cup mount on my car before. It held okay, but then again we were only driving around 40-45mph. I definitely want something secure so I don't have to worry about it flying off lol

It worked wells fine on cars. Just not swell on my bike.

I have the Hero 3 Black and the Hero 2 motorsports edition. I thought about selling the 2 but I've been thinking about using them in tandem to record different perspectives. I have a plug-in for Final Cut X to split the screen.

The 2's take plenty good video...no need to get the latest and greatest unless you want 4k.

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ black and love it. I'd be wary of the Sony depending on how you plan on using it - it has a great sensor, but I've seen side by side comparisons revealing the optics aren't too hot -soft at the edges. Last I checked, the Sony completely lacks anything like the GoPro's HQ "ProTune / CamRAW" mode that enables a higher data-rate and far more control.   Both the GoPro Hero 3 and Sony and AS30 use the Sony Exmor-R family sensor.

I'll try to hunt down the comparison video when I get home

Thanks for the input!

I don't really have any intention on filming in 4k although it'd be pretty cool!

I just want something that'll last. I'm just not too familiar with GoPros but they look like they can take a beating.

Other than motorcycle riding, I plan on taking it out when I go snowboarding during the winter!

The 4k mode is a gimmick for sure, but you can down sample to to time lapse. It also takes less memory space than the full time lapse mode. The the other higher rez modes like 1440 and 2.7k are useful for editing down to 1080P at higher quality.

FWIW, I researched the hell out of action cams trying to find a bargain and came away with the conclusion that the gopro is king. The Hero 3 Black does the best job at low light, has the most video modes, does the fastest slowmo frame rate, has the best built in audio, has the best bitrate, the most accessories...

That Nabi looks pretty cool, especially for $50.  Found a review that says it sucks at low light, but hey, $50!  http://www.bckfc.org/showthread.php?14796-Nabi-Square-HD-vs-GoPro-3-Black/page2&s=df7c1266abb997210f6212ec2eb217c3

• Upvote 1

Look at the Sony version. I have been using one for about 6 months and really like it. The optics are as good or better than GoPro for less moolah.

I have a Sony. Very pleased with it thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely forgot about this post I made... But, I picked up the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition. Luckily I got a connection at Best Buy so it was literally half off lol.

So far, I love it! Taken it riding, in the pool, a concert I DJ'd... I practically bring it everywhere I go haha