Well this can't be good for Tony Stewarts career.

MidgetTodd

Tyson intentionally bit off part of Holyfields ear.

LT destroyed Joe Theisman's leg while intentionally throwing him to the ground.

There have been plenty of serious injuries and even some deaths in both Boxing and MMA (not nearly as many deaths as in motorsports).

I can't think of any criminal charges that have resulted from injury or death that occured within the confines of sanctioned competition.  Am I missing any? 

I think he was talking about the initial wreck where TS put the guy into the wall

Well if so from a racers stand point, the guy on the outside has two choices when a car gets inside you and past your door. (1) Lift and let other car have the position. (2) Race for it knowing if there's contact, your going to end up on the short end, since your on the outside. Everyone know 8 tires stick better than 4.

Also here's a FB link to a crew member of the blue and white car in front of Tony. Check out the photo of car, for those not familiar with them. And keep in mind, it's a round track, and your going left. These car's aren't made to see out the right side at all. 

https://www.facebook.com/mark.tychoniewicz/posts/844718932205116

Tyson intentionally bit off part of Holyfields ear.

LT destroyed Joe Theisman's leg while intentionally throwing him to the ground.

There have been plenty of serious injuries and even some deaths in both Boxing and MMA (not nearly as many deaths as in motorsports).

I can't think of any criminal charges that have resulted from injury or death that occured within the confines of sanctioned competition. Am I missing any?

I'm not aware of it having happened in professional sports, but it's happened in club or recreational level sports.

When you participate in any sport, there is an expectation that the other participants will follow the rules of the game. Actions beyond those rules are penalized. Actions grossly outside the bounds of the rules are "beyond the scope of consent," and can be criminal.

In an extreme example, it's an easy call to make. Baseball pitchers can't take out a gun and shoot a batter. When they throw at his head (still arguably deadly force), that's a lot less clear-cut, because the batter is consenting to the basic action, and the intent is harder to prove.

I would characterize the contact between the vehicles as "part of the sport." The scare tactic that (arguably) followed is less clearly so. I still don't think tony Stewart had any intention of hitting that kid.

And for what it's worth, you cannot consent to break the law. An agreed fight to the death wouldn't be legal - it would be premeditated murder.

The only exceptions I can think of are boxing/MMA, which is why those events must have sanctioning bodies.

Hockey is the only sport I'm pretty sure someone got hit with criminal charges while on the ice

I could be wrong though, thought I remember this from years ago when the dude basically swing his stick like a baseball bat at some dudes head/neck

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like Tony is somewhat in the clear.  Grand Jury declines to indict him.  Says the kid was high on marijuana and was impaired enough to affect judgement.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/09/24/grand-jury-finished-hearing-case-against-nascar-tony-stewart/