Michael Brown shooting

Gump

Its being reported that several Rams players were out during the demonstrations outside the game being played.  They raised their arms akin to how Brown was said to have raised his hands in surrender to the police prior to his shooting.  Now the police organizations are up in arms calling for the NFL to fine those players.  I doubt the NFL will do that, but those few players should have know how classless their actions were and how they could very well instigate all this to continue.

These people need to let go and realize the reality of the how and why's of what happened, imho.

Its being reported that several Rams players were out during the demonstrations outside the game being played.  They raised their arms akin to how Brown was said to have raised his hands in surrender to the police prior to his shooting.  Now the police organizations are up in arms calling for the NFL to fine those players.  I doubt the NFL will do that, but those few players should have know how classless their actions were and how they could very well instigate all this to continue.

These people need to let go and realize the reality of the how and why's of what happened, imho.

As long as they weren't overturning police cars, burning, and looting, they should be able to stand in protest or demonstration to anything they want....even if misguided.

• Upvote 1

As long as they weren't overturning police cars, burning, and looting, they should be able to stand in protest or demonstration to anything they want....even if misguided.

I agree. They may be in my opinion under-informed and misguided, but we should support peoples' right to non-violently demonstrate. BUT if they're wearing company clothes, they are speaking for their company's brand, and that company may just as freely chose to take internal action, which may. Include fines or severance of their employment.

In other words, I should be able to protest dipping pretzels into salsa, but if I wear my employer's uniform while I protest, I shouldn't be surprised to get my ass fired.

• Upvote 1

I agree. They may be in my opinion under-informed and misguided, but we should support peoples' right to non-violently demonstrate. BUT if they're wearing company clothes, they are speaking for their company's brand, and that company may just as freely chose to take internal action, which may. Include fines or severance of their employment.

In other words, I should be able to protest dipping pretzels into salsa, but if I wear my employer's uniform while I protest, I shouldn't be surprised to get my ass fired.

No argument here.

They weren't outside, they did it as they left locker room onto the field. While I agree it's their right, I think fines should be imposed. Marshawn Lynch got fined 100k for refusing to talk to reporters, cam newton got a 10k fine for having the wrong brand of visor clips on his helmet, Rex Ryan got a 100k fine for cussing, wes Welker got a 10k fine for wearing a hat that wasn't approved, 100k for same thing during a superbowl for Brian urlacher... I can keep going all day about stupid shit the NFL fines people for... This should definitely be fine worthy.

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

When there is a difference of opinion, the truth typically lies in the middle.  We heard one side, but not the other because...well, dead men tell no tales. 

Many people believe that the officer perjured himself under oath.  Why doesn't the offer to submit to a polygraph to remove doubt?

Please continue your normally scheduled racial rant.

NFL just released statement that there will be no fines. I wonder if this would have been the case if they walked out and started yelling "Dont hit cops, don't get shot" instead of "Hands up don't shoot".... This country is fucked.

The NFL is merely solidifying its irrelevance.

NFL just released statement that there will be no fines. I wonder if this would have been the case if they walked out and started yelling "Dont hit cops, don't get shot" instead of "Hands up don't shoot".... This country is fucked.

Perhaps I missed something.  Was there a trial where someone was convicted of hitting a cop?

Why should the NFL fine anyone for showing support to a family who's son died tragically?  The Miami Heat did something similar to show support for Trayvon Martin.  Were you outraged then?

I believe people have the right to peaceful protest.  I am even fine with protesters confronting the police & they should be prepared  to accept legal consequences if they go too far. 

On the other hand, there's no place for looting and damaging personal property.  It's pointless.  It did accomplish one thing though.  It brought many closet racists out of their closets so they could stand up and identify themselves...complete with cute little sayings posted all over Facebook.

• Upvote 1

Depending on which side of this issue you are on, you likely believe something similar to

this:  Wilson was forced to shoot and kill Brown during the course of a robbery investigation, or

this:  Wilson unnecessarily killed Brown.  Then took advantage of a legal system that historically has done a poor job of prosecuting officers for wrong doing.

Wilson and his family's lives have changed for the worse regardless of which version you believe.  They fled their home and have been in hiding for months.  They will likely spend a good deal more time in hiding or living in fear of reprisal.   It would be in Wilson's best interest to attempt to clear his name.  If he indeed told the truth in court (many dispute this), why not submit to a polygraph and make the results public?

His name was cleared by a jury of his peers. The case is closed, in my opinion. Physical evidence outweighs testimony. :dunno:

A grand jury is not a jury of peers despite the prosecuter's effort to make it appear as such.  There was no trail.  How much stake should you put in physical evidence that is in control of a defendant or his coworkers?

I agree that the case is closed.  It would only be reopened if the feds chose to do so, which isn't going to happen.

It doesn't change the fact that Wilson & family will be in hiding...for quite awhile. 

Edited by Tpoppa

Grand Jury decided that there wasn't even enough evidence that he might be guilty. To me, that speaks more than a grand jury saying "ok, there's enough here that he might have done it" and then going to trial.

Grand Jury decided that there wasn't even enough evidence that he might be guilty. To me, that speaks more than a grand jury saying "ok, there's enough here that he might have done it" and then going to trial.

I am not the least bit surprised that it didn't go to trial.

His name was cleared by a jury of his peers. The case is closed, in my opinion. Physical evidence outweighs testimony. :dunno:

This.  This is how the justice system works in the US now so in the end, this whole thing is done and over with.  Now maybe they can help all the loser's that rioted, looted, robbed, beat, burned stuff, etc find jobs and stop being thugs. 

This.  This is how the justice system works in the US now so in the end, this whole thing is done and over with.  Now maybe they can help all the loser's that rioted, looted, robbed, beat, burned stuff, etc find jobs and stop being thugs. 

I am not the least bit surprised that it didn't go to trial.  

Perhaps Wilson and his family are OK with living in hiding  :dunno:

This. This is how the justice system works in the US now so in the end, this whole thing is done and over with. Now maybe they can help all the loser's that rioted, looted, robbed, beat, burned stuff, etc find jobs and stop being thugs.

Yea, good luck with that. I work with only honest, hard-working people of all races, genders, preferences and nationalities. But it'll be a cold day in hell when I hire looters, robbers, arson and violent offenders. Once a person casts that dice, they're no longer in my ward, and it takes a LOT to earn a second chance.

He could have gone to trial and there could have been video evidence showing the entire situation going down in HD and people would still riot, loot, and try to kill him... You're naive if you think a trial would change the situation. Would have delayed it, but once the not guilty verdict was out we would be in the same place we are and people would just be crying that it's a conspiracy or the evidence was doctored etc