Allegedly Going More Than 130 MPH

Strictly Street

Summit Point's front straight will allow a decent rider on a 600 to push 150.

On a liter bike, I can only imagine 165 is common...

Group trip to Road America, anyone?

My old cb750 topped out in the 120s.. the xx will get pretty close to 200 with the mods on it. I'm sure I've never done more than 180 though.

I've had my Harley up over 100 and with a shield it was tolerable.....lol.....actually runs best at about 85, but back in the 70's I went fastest on a bike.  Borrowed a buddies Suzuki 4 cylinder and (stupidly) with no glasses or goggles rode that until I pegged it at somewhere over 120.....   I'm betting tho with the new sportbikes and how they are more aerodynamic with bigger motors, going as fast as some of you have, the handling is a lot better.

I routinely hit 90 on my morning commute to work, when I have a clear line of sight and there are no cars around.  I'm usually more than happy to just coast back down to a reasonable speed before catching up to traffic.  I think I hit 120 on my last YZF, although I'm not sure.

I like having a heavy bike... Makes for good stability at 90 mph :)

I don't speed... except for last week when I got a speeding ticket, but that's the ONLY time. :p

I can't imagine going that fast on a road that is not a track.  My reflexes kind of suck though, so maybe its just me.

The speedo would read about 160ish but i knew it was off, when i had it on the dyno the top speed of the bike was 148(147.6 to be exact) when it hit red line according to the drum. I never looked at the speedo going that fast but i hit red line in top gear a few times on the road with it. That was the point i was trying to make. So yes i had it that fast on the road a few times, but like i said i bet it took 3 miles full tuck to do it.

I understand your line of thinking, but I don't believe that would pan-out in real world conditions.  Reaching redline when the only force the engine has to exert is on the drum isn't equivalent to pushing through the wind at 140 mph.  I will grant you that reaching redline in both scenarios means your engine is working just as hard in both situations, but I disagree that the net result is equal wheel-speed at a given RPM. 

I understand your line of thinking, but I don't believe that would pan-out in real world conditions. Reaching redline when the only force the engine has to exert is on the drum isn't equivalent to pushing through the wind at 140 mph. I will grant you that reaching redline in both scenarios means your engine is working just as hard in both situations, but I disagree that the net result is equal wheel-speed at a given RPM.

I disagree. Unless the wheel is slipping on the dyno drum, it's still moving at the same rpm at redline on a dyno that it is at redline on the street. Wind is only a limiting factor in how long it takes to get to redline. The bandit 1200 will redline all day on a dyno in top gear but will not on the road because of wind resistance, weight, lack of top end power etc...If his gsxr red lined in top gear on the street it was doing every bit of whatever speed it redlines at on thr dyno.

I disagree. Unless the wheel is slipping on the dyno drum, it's still moving at the same rpm at redline on a dyno that it is at redline on the street. Wind is only a limiting factor in how long it takes to get to redline. The bandit 1200 will redline all day on a dyno in top gear but will not on the road because of wind resistance, weight, lack of top end power etc...If his gsxr red lined in top gear on the street it was doing every bit of whatever speed it redlines at on thr dyno.

This is what i was thinking, Rev limits, gear ratio, wheel spin isn't going to change with wind resistance.

and you don't think that's a strong possibility with hundreds of pounds of wind-force fighting the bike?

nope, it just runs out of gear. at that speed it's not going to be spinning the tire(not that bike), and if the clutch is slipping, you're going to notice. 

I have a liter bike because I like to act a fool on the road, mine bangs the rev limiter on the street at the same speed it does on brians dyno. Has the top speed recall in the speedo healer that we set on his dyno and double checked on GPS. it's 171 every time. Was 186 before I did the -1+1 gear swap and recalibrated. If you have the power to hit the limiter on the street it will be the same as on the dyno. Yes, not all bikes can hit the limiter on the street though.