Newbie track day

docshorty

I'm new to the forum but have been riding for about 10 yrs (superhawk, rc51, now 07 cbr 1k)). I've never done a track day but after my wife got me a track lap at indi last weekend, I'd like to try next year. I know this is a lot of bike for me on the track but should this prevent me from doing a mid ohio day? I don't want to hurt myself or the bike but don't have funds for a late model 600 or SV . Any help is appreciated.

That's a lot of bike but in no way should that stop you from doing a track day. As I'm sure you already know, just respect the power and you should be fine. The instructors at mid O are great and so are the ones at every Moto Series event. We'd love to have you. Get ready for an addiction like no other! And welcome!

Once you do one track day, you will want to do more...hence the addiction.  The track guys are great riders and will give you tons of riding tips, etc.  Ride within your limits and you will be fine.  You will learn more in one day on the track than you will in years of street riding.

Edited by blue-yamaR6s

It is a lot of bike, but don't let it prevent you from making it out to the track.  Your concern speaks volumes, just keep a little of that around for the first day and being on a liter bike should be no issue.

Hope to see you out there!

Don't worry about doing your 1st track day on the 1000rr. I did my 1st on my 1000rr at Mid Ohio & had a great time. Think fast street pace with no chance of gravel, deer, guard rails, trees, etc. You will get some excellent instruction there. If you are a "fast" street rider try to stay out of the slowest subgroup in Novice as the pace there will probably be slower than what you are accustomed. I hope to get some improvements done on my Honda this winter in order to get back on track next season.

STT has a give away every year for certain tracks and dates. The give away is for people who have never ridden on a track. It could be worth looking into. They also rent suits, so if you win a free track day you can use the money you save to rent a suit. Not everyone crashes at the track, listen to the instructors and don't ride above your skill level (75% is best).

Virtually any bike is a good bike for a first track day.

Long-term, most people will be forced to learn more on a less powerful bike, but like everyone else said, the track isn't some piece of demon asphalt that suddenly highsides every newb on a liter bike.

Just go out and have fun.  Then go home and cry yourself to sleep when you realize how much rear tire you cooked ;-)