car shopping...

Gixxus Christ!

one item to check for on the Subaru, what brand and model tires are on it? When I bought my 2011 Legacy, it came with the factory Bridgestone Turanza tires. The tires are great for no road noise and fuel mileage, but they are a "summer performance" tire. these tires are worthless in the snow and slush of the Cleveland 'burs.  That is why i bought a set of steel rims and Blizzak dedicated snow tires for winter. 

I checked these tires on Bridgestones webpage, and on a scale of 1 to 10, they got high marks for low noise and fuel mileage, but got dashed, as in not even a 0 or a 1 for winter / slush.

The dealer would not work with me to get replacement tires of a different model of tire, Subaru North America said they have no idea where the cars end up once they are built. 

I agreed to a point, but then why sell a car equipped with the cold weather package ( heated seats and out side defrosting mirrors ) that will most like be used in the snow belt with summer performance tires. 

I don't know what tire is "standard" for a 2015 Subaru.

WIth snow tires or even all season tires, the car will be great in the snow with the all wheel drive.

I had the same shit suck ass Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires on my 2013 Legacy...and they were garbage from day one. I survived last winter with them, but fuck no...not again!

I've since purchased Subaru OEM 18" wheels, installed Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's to run in the spring, summer, and fall...and I'll be installing Michelin X-Ice on the stock 17" wheels for the winter months.

Dedicated winter tires really make the AWD shine!

Edited by BadTrainDriver

They are rated much better than the Bridgestones, but still won't be as good as a dedicated snow tire.

It's a compromise.

Before I bought a Subaru, my prior car was 2003 Monte Carlo. I had the Goodyear Triple treads. Very awesome tires all year around.

I agree that real deal snow tires rock on an all wheel drive car.

We are currently car shopping for a vehicle for the wife. We are looking at Subaru Outback's, Tribeca, and Audi A 4's.

Going back to 2008 for the Audi's just to keep the price affordable under 15K.

Not sure what we will do with the current 2002 Durango 4x4. Either sell it, or play with it and lift it and keep as a third vehicle.