Need suggestions/reviews for heated gear

claine650

well, i don't think it's too early to start planning for the cold season. Last year I rode up to the end of November before calling it quits. Just used wind proof jacket with under layers, under armour leggings, and insulated gloves. But it still wasn't enough to make riding in sub 40s very enjoyable. This year I'd like to keep going til it snows if I can keep my fingers from breaking off. 57135f3f41f69c5669909efb7dd4cc2f.jpg

So, I'm just seeing what others think about the products they have and use. I'm thinking I don't want battery powered stuff, but rather wire up to the bike. Maybe someone else has had great luck with the batteries, I have no idea. I'm planning on getting gloves, jacket, and pants. I know gerbings and first gear are two big names in the industry, seems like gerbings might be a little better and a little more expensive, also seems first gear would be perfectly adequate for the pricing. Would be glad to get info on other brands.

thanks!

Heated gear was one of the best money I spent

I went with power let as they had heated glove liner which I could use with my own winter gloves. And also having a wireless controller helps keep clutter down. Very satisfied with it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/heated-motorcycle-clothing/powerlet-rapidfire-heated-clothing/

Don't remember the exact price now :( bought couple of years ago through revzilla when they had some promotion going on. It was pricey than the comparison for sure but worth it at that time. Glove liner,remote WiFi controller, option to switch to less watt usage etc

• 2 weeks later...

I have the first gear stuff. It's quality. I think out the door for glove liners, pants, jacket, and controller went around $400-450

I cut the power connector off and soldered on a battery tender lead, so I could use it on all of my bikes/pretty much any bike.

I don't like the clutter, so I ended up doing a semi permanent install on my BMW.

The right jacket/pants/boots/gloves is money better spent in my opinion. The heated stuff is just icing on the cake. Last year I routinely rode in 30* without the heated stuff. Waited till the 20's for the heat. The coldest I rode in was 7*. The issues I had at that point was in my helmet. My barclava hood slid back off my forehead while putting the helmet on and I damn near had frostbite on my forehead from a 20 minute ride to work. 7* apparently is no joke. The rest of me, however, was a comfortable toasty. Felt like i was riding in 70*.

Disclaimer: I do cheat... The BMW has massive wind protection and heated seats/heated grips.

I don't like the clutter, so I ended up doing a semi permanent install on my BMW.

What Was Your Solution To declutter the Wiring and controls? Seems Like If I Choose To Control Everything Separately there will Be A Lot Of Wiring and controllers attached To me.

just used my jacket and gloves this morning to try it out for the first time and the jacket had me sweating, the gloves are a bit small, might have to sell them and get XL if these don't stretch out.

Haven't tried the pants yet but I'm ready for some freezing Temps now! Considering 30 ' feels like the teens on a naked bike :)

Edited by claine650

My BMW is basically a goldwing with a BMW badge (k1200lt) so I have a glove box in the "tank" area right in front of the rider seat. That's where I installed my controller and ran power wires in/under everything to the battery.

Before I had this BMW, I was considering making a bar mount for the controller and running the harness through a loom to tidy things up.

As far as how I plug into the controller: my extensions that run to the suit are tucked in the glove box described before and I just extend them out and shut the glove box door on them (I notched the door for this) whenever I need to plug in.

If I were running on a different bike, I'd keep the extension cords with the suit and go about it that way.

Basically, there's no way to avoid wires, but at least you won't have to carry the controller in your pocket. Mounting the controller means its easier to adjust temp on the fly.

My BMW is basically a goldwing with a BMW badge (k1200lt) so I have a glove box in the "tank" area right in front of the rider seat. That's where I installed my controller and ran power wires in/under everything to the battery.

Before I had this BMW, I was considering making a bar mount for the controller and running the harness through a loom to tidy things up.

As far as how I plug into the controller: my extensions that run to the suit are tucked in the glove box described before and I just extend them out and shut the glove box door on them (I notched the door for this) whenever I need to plug in.

If I were running on a different bike, I'd keep the extension cords with the suit and go about it that way.

Basically, there's no way to avoid wires, but at least you won't have to carry the controller in your pocket. Mounting the controller means its easier to adjust temp on the fly.

I have the power wire under my seat. I can tuck it under when it is not needed. I clip the controller on my suit jacket, so I can adjust temps while riding.

I wish my seat come off without taking off 4 bolts. Could stash wiring better.

I'm going with this for now for the extensions so they're easy to get and to secure out of the way of anything. Just a couple wire retaining stick on clips. I'll pocket the controller since I'm only using one on the jacket and gloves, I have another one for when I start wearing the pants but they don't bother me much to clip on my belt.bacd8523cf2a86fa0c6a1226147a8a63.jpgc9093f7d44196a6bed920d0cc73dd496.jpg

I wish my seat come off without taking off 4 bolts. Could stash wiring better.

I'm going with this for now for the extensions so they're easy to get and to secure out of the way of anything. Just a couple wire retaining stick on clips. I'll pocket the controller since I'm only using one on the jacket and gloves, I have another one for when I start wearing the pants but they don't bother me much to clip on my belt.bacd8523cf2a86fa0c6a1226147a8a63.jpgc9093f7d44196a6bed920d0cc73dd496.jpg

Here is how mine is set up. I keep the cord tucked under the seat when it is not in use. I just pull out the cord when I need it. I don't need to remove the seat.

post-16813-0-44777700-1411240502_thumb.jpost-16813-0-10263900-1411240590_thumb.j

Here is how mine is set up. I keep the cord tucked under the seat when it is not in use. I just pull out the cord when I need it. I don't need to remove the seat.

attachicon.gif 20140920_140010.jpgattachicon.gif 20140920_140018.jpg

Well your lucky, I bet you can just shimmy it back under there too, you've got more of a gap/straight pathway to under your seat, mines to tight around the seat. But I'm satisfied with what I've got for now, ill see how it works.

Also I just mounted and wired up a 12V outlet to battery for my phone charger, is it a bad idea to not have a fused link in there with that or should it be okay without one?

Well your lucky, I bet you can just shimmy it back under there too, you've got more of a gap/straight pathway to under your seat, mines to tight around the seat. But I'm satisfied with what I've got for now, ill see how it works.

Also I just mounted and wired up a 12V outlet to battery for my phone charger, is it a bad idea to not have a fused link in there with that or should it be okay without one?

Most definitely fuse it!

If the insulation on the hot side of that power socket degrades for whatever reason, it will burn your bike to the ground with a quickness. Fuse it, fuse it on the hot side close to the battery post, and fuse it ASAP!

Most definitely fuse it!

If the insulation on the hot side of that power socket degrades for whatever reason, it will burn your bike to the ground with a quickness. Fuse it, fuse it on the hot side close to the battery post, and fuse it ASAP!

Will do then, thanks for the advice!

When I got back from the parts store I realized I forgot to grab one of those. A few dollars for peace of mind is just fine with me.