In a tizzy...next bike problems

NDspd

Hey all,

I have an aging '02 Triumph Speed Triple that will need some good work in the future and I just don't have the time or the resources to work on it. So with that said I've been looking into an eventual replacement. I love the performance characteristics of the the triple cylinders of the newer speed triples, but not the squinty eyes of the headlights. I love the looks of the newer in-line 4 sport bikes, but have never ridden them to understand the power curve. I also find the Triumph S3 to be very comfortable for long rides until I get on the highway and the wind really kills me, the good mpg though is good.

To be short I'm kind of torn where I should look.

Here are the bikes I've got the fancy for, tell me what you think:

2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600 or 750

2009+ Kawasaki ZX6R

2009+ Triumph Daytona 675

2008+ Triumph Speed Triple 1050

What kind of work does your current bike need?

Your prospective list is all very good bikes, what kind of riding do you do? Have you considered an fz6, or fz09? Vfr is also a great bike, as well as bandit1250...If you're looking for long ride comfort I'd look more towards a sport touring type bike as opposed to a race replica.

My response is going to be biased but the 1050 motor is like butter, smooth and sweet.It has a large power band that is nice if you get stuck in any sort of traffic, you don't have to continually bounce up and down through the gear box. From around 4500 on up it has a very nice pull. The Speed Triple would be the most comfortable from a ergo perspective as well if you plan on any long riding days. Good luck with your decision!

What kind of riding do you do?

The biggest difference going to a dedicated sport bike is the riding position.  They aren't highway friendly for long periods.

If you are looking for power, similar comfort to the S3, and wind protection...I would suggest a VFR, FZ1, or Ninja 1000 (not the ZX10).  Also, you can add windscreens to most naked sport bikes.

I don't do any trackdays and generally most of my riding consists of commuting or doing some long distance rides over 1500 miles a day. To me the touring bikes like the VFR's seems to big or too much comfort biased. 

Can you really find wind protection accessories for the naked sport bikes? If there is then I would opt for the speed triple. That's the one thing that keeps me from riding mine too much, just being whipped around by the wind. If I get anything less than a 900cc I'm gonna feel weird not having the power like I did before, so a little 600cc is probably out.

The sporting capability of a VFR800 is pretty close to an S3.  The Z1000 and S3 are even closer.

1,500 miles in a day?  Is that mostly highway or backroads?

I have modified comfortable bikes to be more sporty, and sporty bikes to be more comfortable.  I was happier with the latter.

The sporting capability of a VFR800 is pretty close to an S3.  The Z1000 and S3 are even closer.

1,500 miles in a day?  Is that mostly highway or backroads?

I have modified comfortable bikes to be more sporty, and sporty bikes to be more comfortable.  I was happier with the latter.

Haha, my bad, I meant 150 miles a day...

How do the S3 and the Z1000 compare? I like the sporty to comfort shift, but don't know anything about the z1000 to make a good comparison.

Dude that Ninja 1000 is so awesome looking. It's got the sport looks, great power, great mpg/range, comfortable with wind protection and doesn't look butt ugly. Thanks for the bringing that up Tpoppa!

Lol @ '600 doesn't have enough power'....

120 horsepower on a 400 lb bike isn't enough?

Which 600 produces 120 rwhp?? When I looked I usually see around 95-100 on dyno sheets.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I just would like to be informed. My z1000 is at like 125 and I'm curious.

As for the OP the z1000 is a great bike. Great power, touring comfort with a sport feel. You do lack the wind protection though which seems like something that's important to you. Just remember that a windscreen doesn't necessarily mean protection. Most stock windshields will cause a lot of turbulent air around your head as opposed to the clean air you get without a windscreen. You can adjust the windscreen on the ninja 1000 which can help or buy an aftermarket windscreen that throws the wind over you.

Lol @ '600 doesn't have enough power'....

120 horsepower on a 400 lb bike isn't enough?

Most 600's I've seen only have 95-110 max...the 120hp and 80lbs is perfect for me, but I don't want to go lower. 

I feel the Ninja 1000 would be a good fit and the S3 if I can get a windshield for it.

I'm not here for out right power, but the 600SS have low torque numbers, are uncomfortable for long rides and kill the insurance.

I love the higher torque numbers of the 1000's, and the comfort levels of the upright sitting ninja 1000, S3, and FZ1.

I was talking crank horsepower.

My last 3 bikes have been liter plus, mostly because I love the low end grunt of a big bore bike and don't want to spend my commutes shifting to keep the motor just below boil...but my last 600 had maybe 90 hp and it was still more power than I could actually use. I was really just poking fun at you for the comment that a little 600 isn't powerful enough when it will do triple digits in 2nd gear.

fz1, sprint, sv1000, vfr, z1000, bandit 1200 or 1250, cb1000r, all these bikes make awesome power in the midrange and handle well enough that most people can't out - ride them. You should ride a vfr before you knock the performance, they do pretty good, and that vtec sound makes my junk twitch every time I hear it.

There are a lot of people on here with a lot of different bikes, I'm sure you could ride a few. You're more than welcome to come give my bandit 1200 a spin but it's anything but stock and won't be a true representative of the breed.

I've come to the realization that 80 rwhp is really about all I can actually use on the street.  And I tend to ride a more spirited pace than many.  The only time you are going to use more than that is in straight line WOT blasts.

I dig the feeling of low end tq, but it really doesn't mean much in terms of how quickly you can ride.  Tq just changes where you need to keep the RPMs.  I can ride my CBR600 (100hp/42lbs) faster than my Buell 1125R (125hp/70lbs).   I just need to keep the CBR wound up higher.

I was talking crank horsepower.

My last 3 bikes have been liter plus, mostly because I love the low end grunt of a big bore bike and don't want to spend my commutes shifting to keep the motor just below boil...but my last 600 had maybe 90 hp and it was still more power than I could actually use. I was really just poking fun at you for the comment that a little 600 isn't powerful enough when it will do triple digits in 2nd gear.

fz1, sprint, sv1000, vfr, z1000, bandit 1200 or 1250, cb1000r, all these bikes make awesome power in the midrange and handle well enough that most people can't out - ride them. You should ride a vfr before you knock the performance, they do pretty good, and that vtec sound makes my junk twitch every time I hear it.

There are a lot of people on here with a lot of different bikes, I'm sure you could ride a few. You're more than welcome to come give my bandit 1200 a spin but it's anything but stock and won't be a true representative of the breed.

Haha, no problem man. I love the looks and the speed of the 600SS, but they are so very impractical for the way I ride.

I have looked at the SV1000 as well, but with the rather basic suspension I'm gonna pass. They are pretty much the same as the sv650 and that took quite a bit of work to get it to perform well.

That's one other reason I love the S3, ninja 1000, and the z1000, they all have very decent suspension and drive train components.

I rarely get up in those higher speeds at all anymore, just short hard bursts. That's why I'm in the torque game more than anything, plus the ability to cruise without having it strain at highway speeds. I've found the larger motors get better mpg cruising on highway than the smaller ones. Bad example would be comparing my little ninja 250 vs the speed triple I have now. In the city the ninja would get 65mpg, highway though was only 35-45mpg depending on speed. The speed triple though would get 38mpg in the city and 45-50mpg on the highway. The SV650 I had was great for the twisties but with the l-twin it strained to be on the highway at 75-80mph.

Although I'm 23 my back get sore quick and the SS bikes don't help that. I've looked at the 500cc hondas and they just seem asthmatic to anything I've had. That's why I want stay with a bike with similar engine characteristics to what I have now.

it sounds like the Ninja 1000 would be just about perfect for what you want.  Should be able to find them for pretty cheap too.

I totally agree...I love the looks of the newer years + the ABS. It's the price tag I'm flinching at... I'm an intern at the moment with a job on the line. I'm trying to get my first car, so it's gonna be a bit before I can put down the $$ to get a bike. Even if I sell mine for $4,200 or so, I don't have the cash to pick up the rest.