Track Day on new bike

Pxl356

Now, back to the original question: Is it okay to take a new bike to the track? 

Prep the street triple,

put your ego in the closet,

go with a very open mind.

I don't care how fast you are on the street, the track is different. Stick yourself in the back of novice. Go slow, get the feel. Learn the lines. Learn the body position. in between sessions attend all of the riders meetings. Sit in your pit, close your eyes. Run laps in your head. 10 laps in your head, is as good as 50 laps on the track. Its a huge mental game. Just take it easy. Gradually step up your pace, but don't cross that comfort zone. Its not a race, Its a track day on a new motorcycle. I've found I never fully feel comfortable on a motorcycle until I've had it on the track. 

I've also seen more than a few fast track riders that were not comfortable riding quick on the street.  The skill sets are similar, but not identical.   

I won't go so far as to call myself a "fast" track rider, but I'm not comfortable riding quick on the street.  The skill sets are the same, it's the risks that are different. 

If I crash at the track, I'm sliding off into the grass, with the potential to encounter other bikes along the way.  Admittedly risky.  If I crash on the street, I'm facing a possible ticket, curbs, street signs, mail boxes, and 4-wheeled traffic.  In my mind, a lot more risky.  Especially if i'm not in full race gear (although I have been wearing full leathers on the street a lot more lately)

Now, back to the original question: Is it okay to take a new bike to the track? 

Almost forgot about that.  Yes.

There is the possibility that you could be "taken out" by another rider, but I don't consider that a probable outcome.  Yes, you can out-ride your own abilities.  Put a piece of masking tape on your tank with a note to yourself on it.  Perhaps whatever amount you paid for that sweet Triumph...

You shouldnt' be looking down too often, but that should be a good reminder to reign in the part of you that wants to push the limits.  You'll still improve a ton as a rider.

The skill sets are the same,

No.  Similar, not the same.

Body position & throttle control are the same.  Many other things are not. 

If you choose the track line through blind corners on the street you are going to crash.  It's just a matter of how soon.  Street and track lines are different.  I can ride 1000 different corners in a given day.  They all have to be negotiated based on current conditions, line of sight, traffic, etc.  Not from memory.  

Setting up for new corners on the street that you haven't ridden a jillion times before requires skills/experience that you won't develop riding the same 15 turns over and over again on the track.  Conversely, you aren't going to learn max braking to set up for a turn on a street ride.

The skill sets are similar, but not identical.