Looking to find someone to motocamp with... (NE Ohio).

JeffersonCleveland

I knew several of the guys who founded epsilon tau pi, an all Eagle Scout fraternity.

I have no clue how the organization has progressed. To the best of my knowledge, they only had 2 chapters in 2002, but that is how any fraternity starts...

I believe they have about 10 to 12 chapters now. Tim, sorry that your path to eagle was not as fulfilling as mine was. The tinnerman canoe camp in canada (now gone) and beaumont scout camp in rock creek along with philmont scout ranch in NM, and the various jamborees around the country were and are some of the fantastic parts of scouting that I wish you had been able to experience. Those along with some of the great hiking trails and camps around the country are great character building experiences.  But no matter, you are still an Eagle and always will be. ;-)

I believe they have about 10 to 12 chapters now. Tim, sorry that your path to eagle was not as fulfilling as mine was. The tinnerman canoe camp in canada (now gone) and beaumont scout camp in rock creek along with philmont scout ranch in NM, and the various jamborees around the country were and are some of the fantastic parts of scouting that I wish you had been able to experience. Those along with some of the great hiking trails and camps around the country are great character building experiences. But no matter, you are still an Eagle and always will be. ;-)

I don't even remember being in a chapter. I just remember getting my patch and certificate that said I was accepted into the Eagle Scouts in the arrowhead division of the BSA. Amd that was it, I stuck around for a another year or so helping the younger ones till I started working full time at 17 and couldn't attend anymore due to time restraints. My mom still has all my stuff stored away somewhere, she keeps asking if I want it and I tell her I'm sure it's safe where ever you have it.

I learned a lot and we camped out a lot and even did a 5 day appalachian trail back packing trip.

My mom put me in girl scouts at my request when I was little.  I was excited bc I had some friends in boy scouts and they did awesome stuff.  My troop (or whatever) sat around and did crafts and sang kumbaya.  I learned how to make a stamp out of a potato, very useful tool that has gotten me very far in life *so much sarcasm* 

My mom put me in girl scouts at my request when I was little. I was excited bc I had some friends in boy scouts and they did awesome stuff. My troop (or whatever) sat around and did crafts and sang kumbaya. I learned how to make a stamp out of a potato, very useful tool that has gotten me very far in life *so much sarcasm*

My daughter helps a local girl scout troop for her school project and that's all they do too, it's more of a gossip circle for the moms..lol

does anyone have a sample packing list for a riding trip? A small folding nylon stool would probably be a great little luxury item...

I have a big ass reclining camp chair I bring. Here's my usual loadout: should be noted that the more makes the merrier, one person brings a gas stove, the other a lantern, the other a case of beer etc...

'3 person' tent.

Queen air mattress and battery pump

Mummy bag

Collapsible fabric cooler

Coleman lantern

Mess kit

Small duffel for clothes etc

camp chair

Between the full luggage on my bandit and strapping shit to the back seat you can get a surprising amount on a bike. When you get to the site, make friends with someone who has a truck and get them to drive you to get wood, beer and ice. Stop for food as close to the site as possible and try to buy frozen.

I have my own mental list, but it's always good to get input from other people.  the lantern is one thing I never remember...  I think a sleeping pad packs better than an air mattress, and you don't need any means of inflation.  I wrap mine around my tent for packing purposes.

Some people spend a ton on luggage.  I really think you can do some homemade (i.e. ugly) construction and buy an extra stock seat to make a very cheap touring setup.

for $40, i can buy a second seat for my bike.  At that price, I will drill through it and bolt a plywood luggage shelf onto the passenger seat.  That shelf than accepts eye-bolts for bungy cords, and I can hang hard or soft saddle-bags from it as well.  For under $100, you can make a useful, if somewhat ghetto touring setup.

I don't even remember being in a chapter. I just remember getting my patch and certificate that said I was accepted into the Eagle Scouts in the arrowhead division of the BSA. Amd that was it, I stuck around for a another year or so helping the younger ones till I started working full time at 17 and couldn't attend anymore due to time restraints. My mom still has all my stuff stored away somewhere, she keeps asking if I want it and I tell her I'm sure it's safe where ever you have it.

It is a fraternity just like others at colleges. You are not automatically a member just by getting your eagle badge. It was founded in Dayton at the University back about 1999 which was 33 yrs after I got my eagle.

Edited by myhondas

It is a fraternity just like others at colleges. You are not automatically a member just by getting your eagle badge. It was founded in Dayton at the University back about 1999 which was 33 yrs after I got my eagle.

Got ya

Cranberry Wilderness in West Virginia is a nice place to motorcycle camp. Me & my Ninja spent a night there last summer. I went more for the ridin' than the campin' though. The twisties are top notch. Don't know anything about that AVD stuff though. A fully functional rack for your bike can be made out of PVC pipe & fittings really cheap.

I have one of those ADV style bikes, and I can load it up like a pack mule and you would never know it. Weekend camping and exploring is a hoot on 2 wheels, I am for sure up for something if it gets planned.

Here's my list in case it's helpful. I never bring everything, but I use it as a checklist to see what I do want to pack:

Campsite items:

Tent and tarp (2-person for just me, 3-person if two-up)

Sleeping bag (and sheet if warm)

Sleeping pad

Alite Monarch folding chair

Cooking items:

For short trips or where civilized food is available, just:

Water / hydration pack

Energy bars, trail mix, fresh fruit

Cup, spork and napkins

Flask, filled (pre-mixed Old Fashions, thank you)

For longer trips, add:

Stove (dual-fuel; white gas or unleaded)

Coffee (Starbuck instant packs are nice)

Cooking pot

Plate, bowl, cup and plastic silverware

Folding cooler (for daily shopping trip)

Cutting board (the knife is in my pocket)

Cooking supplies (spices, oil, utensils)

Cleaning supplies (soap, sponge)

Collapsible water jug

Recipes/menu plan for x days (ideas for those shopping trips)

Personal items:

Clothes for x days (re-use, wash-and-wear, less is better): Pants, socks, underwear, belt, shirts

Riding gear: armored jacket, gloves, balaclava, pants, long-johns and boots

Vitamins and meds

Shoes for walking and/or hiking

Flashlight and batteries

Cell phone, ear buds, camera, mounts and chargers

Extra cash

Hat

Spare glasses

Pen, paper and business cards

Travel kit (toothbrush, comb, razor, etc.)

Toilet paper and wet wipes

Small camp towel

Swimming suit & towel

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Normal pocket stuff (wallet with extra cash, keys, knife, etc.)

Motorcycle items:

Full tank of fuel, tire check, fluids check, chain lubed, maintenance up to date

Map(s) in a handy location

Tools, tire repair and first aid kits (always on board, but I'll list them anyway)

Jumper adapter cable

Air compressor, especially if letting out air for dirt riding

• Upvote 1

Motocamping is something my youngest and I want to get out and do. We are going to try it out this year someplace close to home or family. Just in case things go south. It's part of my "Take an Adventure" plan, when I don't have my handicapped son.

Picked up this little stove...super small and super light.

That's pretty sweet. I got to taste the results of a JetBoil and REI packaged food last summer and they were really, really nice.

Motocamping is something my youngest and I want to get out and do. We are going to try it out this year someplace close to home or family. Just in case things go south. It's part of my "Take an Adventure" plan, when I don't have my handicapped son.

That's smart. It's good to unpack and try out new camping gear before taking it further, if for no other reason than to be more practiced arriving after dusk, setting up in the dark.