Purchasing aftermarket seat

DerekClouser

So recommendations for a new replacement seat for my 2007 Z1000?  I bought the bike with modified covers on the seat, and I'm not sure if they shaved the padding on the seat, or just pulled the fabric too tight, but the seat is unbelievably uncomfortable.  I did some googling and found out that others have complaints of that seat as well.  Kind of weird for a sport 'touring' bike, but that's neither here nor there. 

I was looking at Corbin, but also heard of saddleman.  Probably going to need to replace both seats because my girlfriend complains of how uncomfortable her seat is as well.  I don't want to spend too much money but I want to be as comfortable as I can, considering I plan to do some longer trips this upcoming season.   

Corbin is about $420 for both seats.  I've heard mixed reviews about comfort on Corbin, so any feedback would greatly be appreciated.  

Russells day long it the top of the charts but you will pay dearly for them.

I've heard Corbin is a bit on the firm side but some like that.

Baldwin saddles make very comfortable seats but again they are pricey. I currently have a Baldwin sport with gel inserts but find on the long haul I still need the help of my Air hawk Type R seat pad. Which for just over $100 the air hawk might be a good option for you too

Edited by 2talltim

Steve Kiener, local guy in Cinti, does seat recovering and leather work.  I'll PM his cell # to you; give him a call and see if he can do what you want.  Other option is to contact Eddie (Dirt Road on the FZ1 forum) who's got quite a reputation for turning sport bike seats from yellow pine 2x8 planks into comfy touring saddles.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116411&highlight=seats

I have a Corbin on my Z1000 and it's very comfy; done several 200-250 miles days without discomfort.

I keep hearing fabulous things about the Russell Day Long but I just can't bring myself to destroy the lines of my V-Strom with a saddle seat.  Vanity, I know.  So, I'll likely go with a Corbin in the Spring.  My only worry is about its hardness - I've had great luck with a softer Mustang on a cruiser - but just about everyone I know who's bought a Corbin says they're like a good pair of boots or work shoes - you need to break them in to take on your butt's shape before they're ideally supportive.  I may also look at the Saddleman Adventure Track for, um, undercarriage airflow.

FYI another option is a Seat Concepts foam and cover.  I put one on my CRF230L and it doubled the number of miles I can ride.  Looks fantastic too, and was very reasonably priced.

I have a Russell day long, and it is really comfortable. As Tim stayed above, Baldwin makes a really nice seat. Corbin and Sargents are also popular options. Another option is to modify your seat. A popular option is Spencers: www.greatdaytoride.com.

Seats can be a contentious issue. What is comfortable for one person is not for someone else. Good luck!

Edited by Connie14

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard back from Corbin after I told them the mounting holes didn't line up and bolts didn't fit. Disappoint.

But they DID do an awesome job of getting me the seat in record time in order to make a 9/11 trip to DC.

"I miss America"