Pirelli Tires - Anyone run Superbike Pro's?

ludwb675

I ran the street Supercorsa SP V2 last year and liked them. So i will be sticking with Pirelli this year. I am having a hard time finding a place that sells their track tires. It's a track only bike so i don't need anything DOT.

Two part question.

1. Does anyone know a Pirelli distributor that sells the track/race tires? Supercorsa SC / Superbike Pro

2. Has anyone ran both the Supercorsa SC and Superbike Pro? Whats your thoughts on the two?

I've read both good and bad reviews of the Superbike Pro's. I'm looking for opinions from people that may have ran one or both. 

If i can't find a dealer, i might just run the SP's again this year. Thanks.

Sportbiketrackgear.com sells the Pirellis for good prices. I get my supercorsas from them.

They have the rear Superbike Pro but not the front for some reason.  

Edited by lowcel

I ran SCs as well coming from the Rosso Corsa.  I'd say just save yourself the money and run SCs unless your really wanting to run the Pros.  You can push the Rosso pretty far for a "street/track" tire also.  I went to the SCs when I started racing and running warmers full time.

Sportbiketrackgear.com sells the Pirellis for good prices. I get my supercorsas from them.

They are out of stock of the SC's. Not sure when they will get more. 

They have the rear Superbike Pro but not the front for some reason.  

Yea. I found that to be extremely odd. 

I ran SCs as well coming from the Rosso Corsa.  I'd say just save yourself the money and run SCs unless your really wanting to run the Pros.  You can push the Rosso pretty far for a "street/track" tire also.  I went to the SCs when I started racing and running warmers full time.

That's what i wanted to hear. For my skill level, almost anything would probably be good. So far i found the pricing to be about the same for the SCs or Pros. 

When I started running faster times I was chewing up the Rosso rears after just a few track days.  Switching to the SCs helped longevity but I think some of that was due to running warmers as they keep the heat cycles to a min. throughout the day.  You won't be hammering a cold tire and wearing it out compared to going out on a hot tire.  I was running :09s at PIRC on the Rosso and I could touch :07s on the SC.  Don't know what times your typically running but IMO most trackday guys can't push a good street tire beyond it's safe limits.  I'd still recommend a set of tires cheap enough to get you good life at the track and use the remaining $$ for more trackdays or tires.  I wouldn't rule out the Rosso as a good tire for the low-mid "I" group rider not using warmers.

PS - don't forget that with some race tires if you're not keeping the heat in them on the track just because you're a little slower they might not work at their peak.

Edited by r1crusher

I'm trying to make this same decision. Likely going to be running warmers this year, but for those instances where I might not get them on in time in the morning, or get stuck waiting on the grid for a little while, I think the Superbike Pros might be better. Spending $400 on tires every 2-3 track days might be hard to stomach too... 

Lowcel, how do they compare to the Q3s? Is the grip increase significant? 

I'm trying to make this same decision. Likely going to be running warmers this year, but for those instances where I might not get them on in time in the morning, or get stuck waiting on the grid for a little while, I think the Superbike Pros might be better. Spending $400 on tires every 2-3 track days might be hard to stomach too... 

Lowcel, how do they compare to the Q3s? Is the grip increase significant? 

I do notice a difference and technically the Pro's don't need warmers.  I'm sure that true race tires would be an improvement but I am not to that point yet.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set of Superbike Pros then, despite the negative reviews. Kind of looks like most people are comparing them to an actual race tire instead of street tires like the Q3. It also looks like a lot of people are running an SC2 front with a Pro rear? 

What brand does the tire guy at MidOhio typically carry? 

I asked Sportbiketrackgear about their Pirellis being out of stock and this is their response. 

"we do not currently have an exact date when these will be available. Right now I know that we are between 2-3 weeks out before we will have them."

I just ordered the Pros today from STG, the front was out of stock so I called them and they said they would be placing an order for a batch today. They said it would be 2-3 days to come in before they ship to me. You might want to give them a call today because they made it sound like they only order them per request. 

• 4 weeks later...

the pirellis are amazing.  I ran both SC's and Superbike Pro's before.  190 rears on the 600.  The Pro slicks were INSANE with grip, almost too much as I couldn't slide the bike like I wanted.  They inspire a lot of confidence, I could just whack the throttle open earlier and earlier with no spin. sick tires that lassssst.  Ran the rears waaaay down for trackdays/practice