Helmet Recomendations

Tonyblaze

These guys down in Kent made one that was instatnaious..it was a 'glue on' pinlock kind of thing.  I saw it at the MC show a couple of years ago, I stayed away because at the time it was very new. Comes from Kent Ohio and was part of an exchange of technology from Kent State.  Doesnt' seem to be available anymore.

http://alphamicron.com/wearable-tech/consumer/motorcycle-visor-insert/

http://amipowersports.com/product/akari-ax-11/

http://www.ohio.com/business/kent-company-revs-up-with-motorcycle-visor-1.420060

These guys down in Kent made one that was instatnaious..it was a 'glue on' pinlock kind of thing.  I saw it at the MC show a couple of years ago, I stayed away because at the time it was very new. Comes from Kent Ohio and was part of an exchange of technology from Kent State.  Doesnt' seem to be available anymore.

http://alphamicron.com/wearable-tech/consumer/motorcycle-visor-insert/

http://amipowersports.com/product/akari-ax-11/

http://www.ohio.com/business/kent-company-revs-up-with-motorcycle-visor-1.420060

I remember these being at Cleveland Motorcycle show and they worked really well.

I guess I don't understand what the difficulty is with creating the transition visor. I have transition lense glasses and they go from clear to dark in a few seconds. I wonder if it's the material they need to use to meet DOT standards. If that's the case, a clear visor with a stick on insert that could statically cling to the inside of the visor could be a viable solution.

Helmets have to get crystal clear in the dark. Most, if not all regular Pin Loc's are illegal at night because they don't allow enough light through even though they are not tinted. I suspect that is the issue. Fast and crystal clear so you don't have to remove them.

Now I never remove mine at night, but it is a marketing issue I suspect. Plus really...who the hell is going to pay 150 bucks for a visor like this...heck who is going to pay 100.

I paid 135 and it's on order... Guess I'm that guy.

Worth it for me. This desert sun is bright as shit, and I don't like carrying around 2 visors or sunglasses that fog up (my glasses steam up inside my shoei because it's sealed so tight)... Internal sunvisor is a no go because no snell rating means no drag strip fun... So basically, sunglasses that fog up, or a transitions shield... Easy call for me, $135 ain't putting me in a cardboard box under a bridge

Edited by Steve Butters

Helmets have to get crystal clear in the dark. Most, if not all regular Pin Loc's are illegal at night because they don't allow enough light through even though they are not tinted. I suspect that is the issue. Fast and crystal clear so you don't have to remove them.

Now I never remove mine at night, but it is a marketing issue I suspect. Plus really...who the hell is going to pay 150 bucks for a visor like this...heck who is going to pay 100.

I don't remove my tinted visor either. I didn't want to have to carry two visors like my friends do. I try not to do much night riding so it really isn't an issue, but there have been a few late rides back home and it is harder to see. I needed a new helmet after my accident so I decided that whatever helmet I get will have the integrated tinted lens. I ended up purchasing a Shoei with the built in sun visor so now it's not an issue for me. Once they figure out the tuning on the auto transition you will start to see it as an option with all the manufacturers. Then the price will come down.

What's the issue when a helmet is not DOT but ECE 22.05 P and J safety standard only?

Who's standards are higher or are they equivalent?

Never mind. Apparently DOT and ECE are similar but ECE is or was newer.

Edited by Gump

What's the issue when a helmet is not DOT but ECE 22.05 P and J safety standard only?

Who's standards are higher or are they equivalent?

Never mind. Apparently DOT and ECE are similar but ECE is or was newer.

ECE is European.  If a helmet is ECE but NOT DOT then keep in mind it will not be legal in States that require helmets. That said, I have never seen ECE on a helmet that didn't also have DOT. Did you see that somewhere?

Caberg Is not DOT that I know of. I ordered the Duke legend. Has to be an upgrade over my old scorpion. It's modular with a drop down visor and has high safety ratings for a modular.

Edited by Gump

I've always been told ECE is the best rating. I wouldn't hesitate to wear one. The only reason I'm particular about snell is drag racing.

And good idea.. Slap a DOT sticker on it and call it a day... Roadside cop isn't going to know the difference if you leave the state and end up somewhere that it's required.. Doubt they'd even check since all helmets sold here have DOT

A cop isn't going to care what rating or type of helmet you are wearing as long as it not a hard hat from a construction site. Then again I could always put a DOT sticker on it!

I wonder how insurance companies feels about the DOT topic. I only said id slap a sticker on it because the Nazi's would post up about it's not DOT and illegal but it has seemed to go the reverse direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't call me a chump. :lol:

It's only respectful to buy from the local store once in a while. In order for that super convenient resource to remain, people have to spend their hard-earned money there. They have bills to pay and employees to retain. I am not saying pay retail every time you but gear. Just share the love, just a bit.

Chump! :lol:

I confess. I'm a chump. I went & tried on jackets at the dealer then turned around & bought one from Riders Discount at substantial savings the other day. My wife bought a motorcycle while we were at the dealer, so I don't feel so bad about being a chump.