Chain Lube...

imagineer

School me on the correct method to lube a chain.    This being my first and only chain drive motorcycle, I watched a couple of YouTube videos then went to town.   

I lifted the rear wheel such that I could turn it.   

I didn't have a chain cleaning bristle brush to use, so I sacrificed a couple of tooth brushes.    Scrubbed and wiped the entire chain twice.     

While rotating the wheel forward, sprayed a small amount of chain lube (Maxima Chain Guard) on the top surface of the chain feeding into the rear sprocket.   

Let it sit for 10-15 minutes then wiped off the excess.  

Rode to work this morning and now the swing arm and hub are spattered with wet oil.    It's not soaked, just spattered.

Did I use too much oil, or is this typical?

Pretty typical.

Make sure chain is warm when you apply lube.

Wipe excess

Allow to dry.

I usually like to lube the night before and allow to dry over night to keep from having a bunch of fling all over the place. That stuff is tough to clean.

• Upvote 1

All of the posts above me are correct, which is rare at OR.

Do it at the end of the ride, so it is warm and can dry.  Don't need to lift the wheel. Do a section at a time and roll it forward. Put cardboard on the ground to keep it off the driveway. Lube at the bottom between the sprocket and the engine. Use Chain Wax instead of 'lube'. Less splatter and what splatter you get is less messy. Every 500 miles man.

I toothbrush mine down with some kerosene, dry it off, go ride for a bit to warm the chain, then a light coat of Maxima chain wax, section by section on the bottom run rolling forward, then park it for the night.

I will have to try the Klotz that Sam mentioned though because I still get a little bit of fling the first ride after the chain warms back up. Never been a deal breaker, but if the Klotz doesn't fling at all - I say win

<snip>

(Maxima Chain Guard)
<snip>
Did I use too much oil, or is this typical?

That shit is terrible.  I did a dirt bike chain with that out in AZ this winter.  It sat in a 95+F garage for two weeks and still never dried.  What a mess.

I recommend Honda red label HP Chain Lube (*not* the blue label with White Graphite).  I put that shit of everything - street, dirt, kart.

When I lube a chain I try to inject into every side plate and roller.  Unless I'm feeling lazy and the chain is dry as a bone, then I'll do it the hillbilly way and just spray the chain while spinning the wheel.

What all have said above. I have tried many different chain lubes/wax with different results. I don't like a sticky or wet chain. I prefer a clear, non-tacky chain lube that will not sling off. I use Royal Purple Maxchain. DuPont makes a Teflon based chain wax that dries without stick and doesn't fling. Both have worked well for me. Every 400-500 mi, I clean my chain with kerosene as it will not harm the o-rings, blow off with compressed air and then take a short ride to heat up the chain. I have a cardboard cutout to keep it off the wheel. Most products have a diagram of which directions to spray the lube for optimal coverage. The reality of it is chain lube just reduces friction on the sprockets and protects from corrosion, so you really don't need to soak it. I have a friend who just uses WD40 after every ride and gets the same chain life and wear as I have with chain lube.

I'm a WD guy when it comes to cleaning the chain.  I've always used only Maxima Chain Wax also.  I had a stock chain on my '90s ZX7 last for over 33k miles using the WD clean and Wax method...no lie.  Just do as everyone has already said...clean, ride to warm up the chain, apply protectant/lube and leave it be overnight if possible.

Chain lube is a waste of time, energy and effort.

Clean it with WD40 and ride. Simple and effective.

I have around 17K miles on this bike using that method and have used it on all of my bikes. What are you guys trying to achieve with all these messy unneeded waxes? I expect to change my chain and sprockets in the 20K to 25K range if I keep this bike that long. How many miles from a chain are you guys expecting by complicating the process?

Wd40 each ride vs chain wax every 500 miles sounds more like a waste of effort.

My rides are 350 miles plus.

I takes about 60 seconds to wet a rag with WD40 and wipe down chain.  Because the WD does not attract dirt, its a simple one step clean and protect process.  Modern sealed chains do not need lubricated, as the O/X ring seals in the bushing lubrication.

^This

Never said every ride. I ride about 350 miles per ride or so. Clean with WD40 when I feel like it. Could be every 350 miles or 1000 miles. The chain doesn't get near as dirty without all that unnecessary shit all over it attracting dirt.

Modern sealed chains do not need lubricated, as the O/X ring seals in the bushing lubrication.

False. The rings keep the pins lubed but not the plates.

Chain manufacturers recommend cleaning with kerosene ONLY and then using a chain lube, even on o and x ring chains.

Wd40 is not a lubricant or penitrating oil. It's a water displacement fluid that leaves a film of its base oil behind as the solvents evaporate out of it.

I like Uncle Punk's & Whalers non-OCD approach. I have been getting 25,000 miles plus with Honda lube. Spray it on, wipe it off. Dont worry about the chain being warm or fuss with brushes or 2ndary lotions & potions.

Nothing wrong with going with what you think you know.

I'm putting out correct, knowledgeable, experienced information out there for new guys that might like to know how to maintain their chains and even for the old guys that want to save themselves from the unnecessary hassle of making a fucking mess for no reason.

Idk how you were doing it before, but cleaning and oiling a chain isn't as bad as you make it out to be. If done regularly all it takes is a rag wet with k1 and a quick spin on the wheel, then shoot some lube while spinning and all done. I'm sure your way works great for you, but you don't design and produce chains for a living so I will defer to the people that do. You don't ask a mechanic for medical advice even if he's really healthy.