1990 Honda Hawk GT (NT650)

Sidewinder600

1990 Honda Hawk GT NT650, about 45k miles. Asking $2300. I've owned it for the past 10 years and have focused mostly on mechanical maintenance and upgrades so it runs smooth and reliably, but I replaced some cosmetics here and there to  keep it looking presentable. It lived in south Texas for 15 years so the sun and heat faded some things and gave the cooling system a workout. It's got scratches and dents and is not a show bike by any means but it's been dead reliable, well maintained, and tons of fun to ride. Hate to let it go but I'm neck deep in an XR650R dual sport build and need the money to correct the sins of the previous owner. Here's a list of what's been done over the past few years:

-Replaced airbox w/ Pod filters and rebuilt/rejetted carbs, and I usually put new gasket kits in the carbs once a season when I clean them out after sitting over the winter.

-New Barnett clutch w/ stronger springs.

-Upgraded to a Magura front master cylinder and rebuilt the front caliper, on top of regular fluid changes front and rear.

-New front wheel bearings.

-New steering head bearings.

-Replaced rear cush drive rubbers.

-Rebuilt forks with new seals and fresh oil.

-Completely overhauled the cooling system: replaced radiator, water pump, radiator cap, thermostat, radiator fan switch, hoses, flushed it a few times and then filled with Engine Ice.

-Only used Mobil 1 V-twin synthetic during oil changes.

-Replaced chain and sprockets, and went +1 in the rear for a little more torque.

-All new electrical switches, which I bought just before they stopped making them for this bike. Made sure to smear every contact I touched with dielectric grease too.

-Also replaced a bunch of little stuff like radiator side covers, dash cover panel, front sprocket cover, grips, rear blinkers, and a ton of random screws and bolts that were chewed up or corroded.

Tires are pretty fresh, about 80% front and rear. Starts right up, pulls strong, rides comfortably, and stops hard with the new master cylinder. Clear title in hand. 

Not interested in trades unless you have some XR650R parts you want to throw in.

8889107b-6508-4ea7-a943-41f859f67887_zps

photo12_zps693841d6.jpg

photo1_zpsea7bf3be.jpg

Edited by Sidewinder600

where at?

My bad - located on the eastern edge of Delaware. Contrary to my profile information it is not, in fact, located at your mom's house.

I should also mention that if you ever decide to build this thing up, JD Hord is just over in Bucyrus. He's won multiple national championships on these things and arguably knows more about tuning them than anybody else in the country. Expert work and advice is just a quick ride away.

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=6d3bb44cd11c13a9c0ec1aee479a6368

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Hawk! I dream of owning a newer bike, but at the same time i get everything i need out of a bike that doesnt cost me more $. Good luck with sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh

My

God

Wow!!  LOVE IT!!!!  That thing is minty fresh and makes me want to run to the bank asap!!  Good luck and anyone interested should understand that these bikes are rare and ultimately in shit condition.  This kind of shape is hard to find and worth every penny!!

What other side? I said I was 99.99% sure I was coming to get it, gave you a 90 minute time window for Sunday when I would be down and as long as it was motorized I would be showing up and how you claimed no notery would be open Sunday and how I told you all the was need was your signature was needed to be notarized and the. You said you'd see what you could do.... The. Out of no where I get a text saying you tarded it for equipment.

If it's really sold OP should delete his cragslist ad

If you offer less than the asking price that's a bit more risky of having it sold out from under you before you get to it.

These come available (in ohio) every few months around the same price and mostly between 20 and 40k miles.

I like the grey colored ones better. Grab one that already has a corbin seat on it as that's 1/8 the price of the bike and the original seat is 30 years old.

One just sold on ebay (Cali) with a penske rear shock $2100. Need a relocation rider? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Honda-Other-/171810945038?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2800baf80e&item=171810945038&nma=true&si=%252BMtCnCDMKnSD2mNGsF6s8%252BT7ixI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Well hell, if it's a party at my house I might as well attend too.

...you claimed no notery would be open Sunday and how I told you all the was need was your signature was needed to be notarized and the. You said you'd see what you could do.... 

You read it wrong. Quoting the text I sent, "I can call around tomorrow (Friday) for a notary that would be open on Sunday." Your reply was "All you need is your signature notarized. I've done this enough times to know." I can post a pic of the text convo if you're interested. Most car dealerships will do the title transfer beginning to end with both of us there and that's what I was planning on doing. Bear in mind, no money had been exchanged, so checking into notarizing it myself with no buyer present was all good will toward someone I'd never met or seen before. So I did go to the BMV on Friday, who then informed me that doing just my own signature with nothing else on the back and then just handing it off to you was actually illegal. Reference this website: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-607.aspx

But I'll clip the appropriate section:

Q: All I want is for the notary public to notarize my title transfer; why won’t he do that?
A: The state government appoints the notary public to ensure that documents are valid. You must sign documents such as title transfers for automobiles and affidavits in front of the notary, or you must personally tell the notary that you have signed. If a notary refuses to notarize your document, it is likely to be because you have not met this requirement. Buyers of automobiles sometimes will take an automobile title to a notary and ask the notary sign to off on the transfer, despite the seller’s absence. The notary is not permitted to do this, and should always refuse such a request. Also, the notary must refuse to notarize any document that is not complete or contains blank lines, or a document that the notary has not witnessed or acknowledged.

Also, this website says this: Make certain the deal is going to be completed before executing the Assignment of Ownership. The buyer does not need to be present for the seller to complete the Assignment section; but, the seller must have the name and address of the buyer in order to complete the section and have their signature notarized.

So essentially, the only legal way to go about this was I'd have to completely sign off the title to you with no cash in hand. Sorry, but just your word that you're showing up on Sunday is not enough to make me sign over ownership of my bike, regardless of whether you've "done this enough times to know." If you would have been open to going somewhere on Sunday and doing it together, everything would have been fine.

Also, our "negotiated price" was again something that was just based on good will. I told you what I'd take for it and there was no confirmation afterward. Price was never mentioned again. This being internet dealing, unless someone tells me that they will specifically pay $X for Y product, I have to assume they're going to come to my house and lowball me because that's all that's ever happened in this situation. Combine this with the title transfer issue and there's a definite risk of me now being stuck with either accepting a much lower price than what I was expecting or be left standing with a voided title on a good bike.

And anyway, you were supposed to come Sunday afternoon. I texted you it was off on Friday night. It's not like you were on your way down here to pick it up already.

This wasn't intended to be a personal insult to you. It was me making the call that trading to a friend that I've known and trusted for a long time trumped making a deal with an internet buyer asking me to do something that's technically illegal before any cash had even changed hands. I apologize if it inconvenienced you or pissed you off. You could have been an adult about it and asked me directly for clarification, bitched me out on the phone, whatever, but my last text went unanswered and you instead decided to just spout off on the internet instead. If that still makes me the asshole, so be it. But I'd rather people make that determination themselves based on what actually happened vs. one guy being all angryface about a couple cherry-picked circumstances.

TL;DR: The bike's going to a new home, some people are pissed, I feel like an idiot for typing this much, and none of this actually matters.

• Upvote 2

Well hell, if it's a party at my house I might as well attend too.

You read it wrong. Quoting the text I sent, "I can call around tomorrow (Friday) for a notary that would be open on Sunday." Your reply was "All you need is your signature notarized. I've done this enough times to know." I can post a pic of the text convo if you're interested. Most car dealerships will do the title transfer beginning to end with both of us there and that's what I was planning on doing. Bear in mind, no money had been exchanged, so checking into notarizing it myself with no buyer present was all good will toward someone I'd never met or seen before. So I did go to the BMV on Friday, who then informed me that doing just my own signature with nothing else on the back and then just handing it off to you was actually illegal. Reference this website: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-607.aspx

But I'll clip the appropriate section:

Q: All I want is for the notary public to notarize my title transfer; why won’t he do that?

A: The state government appoints the notary public to ensure that documents are valid. You must sign documents such as title transfers for automobiles and affidavits in front of the notary, or you must personally tell the notary that you have signed. If a notary refuses to notarize your document, it is likely to be because you have not met this requirement. Buyers of automobiles sometimes will take an automobile title to a notary and ask the notary sign to off on the transfer, despite the seller’s absence. The notary is not permitted to do this, and should always refuse such a request. Also, the notary must refuse to notarize any document that is not complete or contains blank lines, or a document that the notary has not witnessed or acknowledged.

Also, this website says this: Make certain the deal is going to be completed before executing the Assignment of Ownership. The buyer does not need to be present for the seller to complete the Assignment section; but, the seller must have the name and address of the buyer in order to complete the section and have their signature notarized.

So essentially, the only legal way to go about this was I'd have to completely sign off the title to you with no cash in hand. Sorry, but just your word that you're showing up on Sunday is not enough to make me sign over ownership of my bike, regardless of whether you've "done this enough times to know." If you would have been open to going somewhere on Sunday and doing it together, everything would have been fine.

Also, our "negotiated price" was again something that was just based on good will. I told you what I'd take for it and there was no confirmation afterward. Price was never mentioned again. This being internet dealing, unless someone tells me that they will specifically pay $X for Y product, I have to assume they're going to come to my house and lowball me because that's all that's ever happened in this situation. Combine this with the title transfer issue and there's a definite risk of me now being stuck with either accepting a much lower price than what I was expecting or be left standing with a voided title on a good bike.

And anyway, you were supposed to come Sunday afternoon. I texted you it was off on Friday night. It's not like you were on your way down here to pick it up already.

This wasn't intended to be a personal insult to you. It was me making the call that trading to a friend that I've known and trusted for a long time trumped making a deal with an internet buyer asking me to do something that's technically illegal before any cash had even changed hands. I apologize if it inconvenienced you or pissed you off. You could have been an adult about it and asked me directly for clarification, bitched me out on the phone, whatever, but my last text went unanswered and you instead decided to just spout off on the internet instead. If that still makes me the asshole, so be it. But I'd rather people make that determination themselves based on what actually happened vs. one guy being all angryface about a couple cherry-picked circumstances.

TL;DR: The bike's going to a new home, some people are pissed, I feel like an idiot for typing this much, and none of this actually matters.

Except you forgot to mention I asked you if I should bring ramps, how much more serious do I need to be. At least you could have confirmed if I was coming or not instead of just sending a text saying it was gone. And BTW what was I suppose to say.... I'm done with this forum.

He never asked for a deposit. I've sold at least a dozen vehicles over the years just getting my signature notarized and never once had a problem. That's his claim to why he didn't want to sell it to me. If he wanted more money closer to his asking price he could have text or called me

Sounds like you're pretty disappointed you missed out on the bike, and that's understandable.  However, I'm with the seller on this one, too.

Unless you're a personal acquaintance/friend, I'm not holding something for a buyer any longer than overnight unless I've got cash in hand or a signed/dated Contract of Sale.

And I would NEVER…EVER…have a title notarized into the name of the buyer without cash in hand, no matter what conversations had gone down previously.

That makes two of us, but that wasn't what the seller wanted to do. Technically, it's illegal. It's also like signing a blank check, only it's illegal.

I had no idea it was illegal. I've always just went to my bank, ask for my signature to be notarized on the title and the girl stamps it and signs it. Oh well. I bought something else with my money. I just really really wanted it. Guess it's my fault for not offering a deposit.

Fyi you could have simply burned the filled out and notarized title and gotten a copy printed for $5 at the title office. Pretty simple. The title office doesn't know it was filled out or notarized, it doesn't go into the system until you bring the title to them for transfer.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that thought of this.