Riding in the RAIN!!

Strictly Street

I must have got a pair that missed the waterproof treatment since they have never been waterproof. I got caught in the rain 3 times yesterday with my First Gear Rainier jacket and in the 3rd downpour I got wet. Just to much water for to long. I got new Klim Latitude jacket and pants this spring but left then at home. It would have been a good test for them.

Edited by alansz400

I commute, so rain riding is just part of the gig. I either use waterproof goretex riding gear in the cool seasons, or Frogg Toggs over mesh in the summer. If your helmet leaks, you got a poorly made helmet. That's where the $$ comes in, honestly, comfort and design...not safety. They're all pretty safe, but a cheap lid fogs, leaks, sweats your head, etc.

And, if it's raining hard enough, for long enough, it doesn't matter what you're wearing, you're getting wet.

• Upvote 1

Are all of my veteran riders in agreement that FroggToggs(sp) are the way to go?

I have a set of frog togs that sits at home in my closet. Not that they are horrible but my imitation goretex from REI keeps me drier, especially in heavy downpours. Better closures & seams.

Consider high quality all-weather riding gear.  My Aerostich gear is waterproof.  I wear it year-round - from the low teens to 100 degrees.  I don't have to stop to change gear when it rains.  At most, you just close a zipper or two.  If you add up the money you spend on lesser gear and consider its sub-par performance, the value of high quality gear shines through.

I agree that good gear makes your ride--in any weather conditions--a better experience.  Problem is that most us, myself included, start out riding when we're young, stupid, "bulletproof" broke dicks and make do with what we can afford….which then becomes our way of riding, sometimes for years later.  I've been on two wheels for over 50 years and just this spring bought my first high-end riding suit--an AS 1-piece Roadcrafter.  But just like most of my other gear, I bought it used.  Suit goes for $1400-1600 new, and I paid $400 for something that looked like new and should still have the shop tags on it.  Reach out to those who race--if they're racing in sanctioned events, gear ages out pretty quickly and can no longer be used according to the rules, but still may not have many rides/hours/miles of wear/sweat on it.  I recently bought a Shoei RF1000 helmet from Andy for $40 and it looks like new.