Need opinions/experiences on a new daily driver

Bad324

New wife...new house....no bike.... Stop lying to yourself. It's time for the Honda Odyssey.

I married her cause she agreed no matter what there would be no mini van in one of my garages :p

The move and selling the bike were my moves. She actually protested me selling the bike. But once I explained that it's mainly to set up my next move for next year, she understood

• Upvote 2

I married her cause she agreed no matter what there would be no mini van in one of my garages :p

The move and selling the bike were my moves. She actually protested me selling the bike. But once I explained that it's mainly to set up my next move for next year, she understood

I joke....kind of. Once kids are in the picture, it all changes. Putting two in car seats, you start loving the idea of sliding van doors. That being said, I've since graduated from the mini-van and haven't looked back.

For a small daily....I would look at a Corolla or Civic. Can't go wrong with either.

I think people should get tax credits for NOT having children. We could use a few less tiny assholes running amok.

Or a 1 time cash payment of $9,999 for anyone who gets a vasectamy

The US would have a population of offspring of lesbian couples using gay sperm donors.

• Upvote 1

I've got a 2013 accord coupe with the v6. It is an absolute blast to drive, sounds awesome, and feels very roomy and comfortable . You can never go wrong with honda, let alone with an accord. I get about 38 mpg with the cruise control set at 70mph highway, 31 32ish city with a light foot and economy mode on. Best purchase I have ever made for sure. I highly recommend looking on auto trader or something, find one and test drive it.

How often are you calculating your mileage?

I ask because my actual average mileage (after 5600 miles tracked) is considerably lower than my occasional calculations would have led me to believe prior to creating a fuelly account.

I would also advise brian to take a look at fuelly for real-world mileage estimates. In my experience, it's rare for a V6 to actually break 30 mpg by much unless you're doing 60 with the AC off. No one drives like that.

For a small daily....I would look at a Corolla or Civic. Can't go wrong with either.

It may be because I have the base-model Corolla, but mine is very loud on the highway. Tire/road noise, not engine or wind.

I do 400 miles a week to and from work. Real-world mileage for my 12 yr old model is 34mpg.

How often are you calculating your mileage?

I ask because my actual average mileage (after 5600 miles tracked) is considerably lower than my occasional calculations would have led me to believe prior to creating a fuelly account.

I would also advise brian to take a look at fuelly for real-world mileage estimates. In my experience, it's rare for a V6 to actually break 30 mpg by much unless you're doing 60 with the AC off. No one drives like that.

No idea what fuelly is, but my car gives me current, real time milage. If you are so concerned about your friend getting a fuel efficient vehicle, why refer him to a website? I encouraged him to find a vehicle like mine because i love it, and test drive it like a normal person would.

I work full time as an automotive mechanic at a Hyundai dealer. The sonata/optima is a great car. The transmissions have been bulletproof and the engines are good. I would suggest buying new, or at least certified pre-owned, so you get the benefit of the warranty. In the real world these cars see low to mid 30's as far as fuel economy. They don't have a timing belt, and don't really require transmissions services (the fluid is rate lifetime and I really haven't seen many issues besides trans fluid temp sensors which are cheap).

Well choosing from that list, Accord or TDI.

OR lists are created to be disregarded in order to make room for tangent discussions that inevitably end in butthurt.

• Upvote 2

I had a 2008 Mazda 3 and at 106000 miles the transmission took a shit for no apparent reason. I liked it up til that point. Replaced it with a 2013 ford escape ecoboost. So far I'm liking it, engine is a bit weak, but for a daily driver it does everything I need at 26mpg avg.

Something completely different, but hear me out.

Get a mid-2000s Mercedes S Class. They should be right in your price range at this point with 100k miles give or take.

The steepest part of the depreciation curve will be behind them, so you should get decent value in terms of your lifetime cost of ownership.

Components are over engineered and reliable.

The 5.5L v8 will actually get close to 25mpg highway on the model years after they introduced vvt.

But the real reason to get one is to avoid hating life during your commute and road trips. I will never spend another winter commuting in a shit box. Even 10 year old models have more creature comforts than something like an Accord. Everything about the interior is inviting and done right. ZERO wind noise. 0-60 in a 4.5.

What's not to like?

Did I mention my wife has a 2007 S Class were getting ready to sell?

• Upvote 1

Something completely different, but hear me out.

Get a mid-2000s Mercedes S Class. They should be right in your price range at this point with 100k miles give or take.

The steepest part of the depreciation curve will be behind them, so you should get decent value in terms of your lifetime cost of ownership.

Components are over engineered and reliable.

The 5.5L v8 will actually get close to 25mpg highway on the model years after they introduced vvt.

But the real reason to get one is to avoid hating life during your commute and road trips. I will never spend another winter commuting in a shit box. Even 10 year old models have more creature comforts than something like an Accord. Everything about the interior is inviting and done right. ZERO wind noise. 0-60 in a 4.5.

What's not to like?

Did I mention my wife has a 2007 S Class were getting ready to sell?

[emoji23]

All I'm saying is, if you want a very nice, comfortable, economical and extremely inexpensive to maintain vehicle, check out a newer accord. You won't be disappointed. These aren't cheap fart-can civics.

No idea what fuelly is, but my car gives me current, real time milage. If you are so concerned about your friend getting a fuel efficient vehicle, why refer him to a website? I encouraged him to find a vehicle like mine because i love it, and test drive it like a normal person would.

In my experience, the engine computers are wildly optimistic.

Fuelly is a website (and app) that tracks actual mileage and fuel use.

My wife's Tucson reported 22 while my actual calculated use was closer to 19.

In my experience, the engine computers are wildly optimistic.

Fuelly is a website (and app) that tracks actual mileage and fuel use.

My wife's Tucson reported 22 while my actual calculated use was closer to 19.

I'm gonna keep believing what the computer says. Makes me feel better [emoji1]

Accord or civic

Any Subaru car. 6 banger outback only gets 24 city, 27 highway in summer. 4 banger your changing a belt but better mpg and noisier engine.

Yota's are noisy and tinny sounding.

Or TDI but maintenance costs will be higher.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/viral-video/11638938/Suped-up-Golf-overtakes-Porsche-and-Nissan-cars-in-road-race.html

Edited by Gump

Bunch of interesting suggestions everyone. Will end up probably test driving most and seeing what fits best and what's in my range at the time I can purchase

The Altima, Accord and TDI have me the most intrigued and interested

Edited by Bad324

I will say that the 2002 jetta that I've had since 2002 has been pretty good mechanically but the build quality was fairly poor. The electric system is a disaster and the exhaust/random motor parts seem to like to fall off/rust out about every 6 months and that has been happening since it was brand new. Unless VW turned over a shiny new leaf I probably wouldn't consider getting another one myself.