2001 Aprilia RSV Mille

Blitz

Anybody know anything about these bikes?

I have an offer on my bike (03 GSXR 600) for the Aprilia in trade. Seems really clean and has around 10,000 less miles.

I don't know about common problems or things to look for though. Anybody know anything about this generation Aprilia? Impressions and opinions?

I've heard Ap parts are hard to come by because of limited distribution but I don't know about reliability. That said, I was looking at Aprilias before finally settling on the striple, perdy bikes.

Not to sound like a broken record but... have you looked at Triumphs? Unless you're expecting to be at 100+mph on a regular basis for hours on end the wind on the naked with flyscreen added hasn't been a huge issue, at least for me. The "anywhere anytime" torque of the triple engine is pretty damn fun in the twisties and oh god, the sound. 

Hell, I'd even suggest checking out the fz-09. People seem to love the engine on that bike. The stock suspension sucks but that's pretty easily remedied. The seating position is more upright than my striple but it has about 10 more horsepower. Price ain't bad either, even brand new. 

Happy with my Tuono. naked version same as rsv through 05. Bought it sight unseen and road it back from Texas. Added a sargent seat since then.

The 01 may have a metal tank still ( +2 liters bigger), the newer ones went to plastic, They stretch out, a pain to line up bolts after removing( so did ducatis and adventure bike tanks)

Motors are very reliable. If you're going to end up with an older bike and you want more comfort( I didn;t see you say that but others inferred) on put riser clip ons or stunt bars on either (with longer cables) Basicly tuono conversion.

There's plenty of people wrecking them for spares. AF1 carries many parts if there's no dealer around. 

The mentioned bikes are nice but Not anything he's get a straight up trade on. Aprilias did't hold their value well. I guess people who are into them want a new one to subsidise sales guys.

Take it for a ride and then make up your mind.  Vtwins and i4s are different experiences 

So, while I'm interested in something more upright, this offer from the guy has my interest piqued.

Part of looking into a ST bike was the opportunity to get something with more displacement. I feel like I'd like a 750cc, but a 1000 Vtwin seems more appropriate. No matter what I got, I wanted it to lean more sport than touring. Another part of my plan was to get something with less miles, as they're starting to add up on the GSXR. Though others have pointed out she's just getting broken in. I think its a mental thing.

So when this guy offered an extremely clean 1000 cc Vtwin in a straight up trade, the desire for something more upright took a back seat to the less mileage and the overall cleanliness of the bike. Plus, I think I'd like that mid-range power of that motor. I've never liked ringing the neck of my Japanese bikes. I feel like any time I'm over 11k RPMs I'm just thrashing the thing, even though I know that's not the case.

So, it was an offer I felt I had to look into. It doesn't meet all my requirements, but it's certainly interesting. It does have the metal tank and not the plastic one. And, in doing some reading, it appears some of the electrical issues with this gen bike can be prevented by some simple modifications to the wiring....at least that's what they say on the Aprilia forums.

The guy sent me a video. I'll see if I can post it for you guys. Maybe you'll see why I'm intrigued.

Edited by Blitz

So, here's a video of the bike. Sorry for the poor camera work. Looks like the guy couldn't decide between landscape and portrait, so he went with both.

It's clean and seems to run well. I'll know better tomorrow when I ride it. But it's cleaner and less miles than my bike, and it's faster. Doesn't mean my mind is made up. There's a lot to consider. But I'm certainly interested. And might be willing to deal with nowhere to put luggage for a little while longer if she's as fun to ride as she looks.

Thanks for the advice guys...especially Paulie. I appreciate it, for sure.

After riding it today, and discussing it with the owner, I'm making the trade tomorrow. I have a few reasons for doing so that haven't been discussed.

I've put 20k miles on the GSXR in 2 years. That's more than the Aprilia even has on the clock. I was getting to a point with the GSXR where I felt like I was never going to come close to getting back out of it what I'd put into it. Now, I'd expect it to depreciate some as all bikes do. But when sport bikes get into the 50k mile range, they're hard to sell for anywhere near what they're mechanically worth. With the Aprilia, I'm basically trading for a bike in the same condition as the GSXR was when I bought it, subtracting two years worth of hard riding and value depreciation.

Yes, there are some big risks with the reliability of the Aprilia. But it looks like a couple of maintenance precautions can prevent those. And there's a large and enthusiastic group of Aprilia owners that have immediately been helpful with specific questions I've had, before even owning one.

The V-twin growl was especially exciting today....I was actually surprised how much mid-range power it had. And the suspension was smooth yet sporty when it needed to be. And I love the look of the bike. So, all of that being said....I'm going for it. I may regret it, or it may be the best motorcycle decision I've made.

I can say, that bike would not have lasted long in the hands of the current owner. I knew more about the maintenance issues with the bike than he did, and I've only been researching for three days. Fortunately he's only owned it 2 months. Unfortunately, I feel like I may be condemning my GSXR to a terrible fate....  Nonetheless, the kid is better off on a 600cc bike than that RSV. He's in pretty far over his head,...but I guess that's how you learn. Now I just wish I hadn't spent all that money to gold valve the front forks on the GSXR, cause I don't think it matters in the deal at all.

Edited by Blitz

I am sure you will love it James. I enjoyed the one I had but could not justify having two bikes so I sold it. The biggest thing you have to worry about with that bike is the sprag clutch. Do not let the battery get low or you could be replacing the sprag. The only other thing that I am aware of is the voltage regulator. They have a tendency to melt so you will want to keep an eye on it. The bike is a beast and you will absolutely love the torque. It will be quite different from your Suzuki.

Congrats on the new ride.