2014 CBR 500R w/460 miles *DAMAGED*

ItzaME

2014 CBR 500R with only 460 miles

Was layed down, salvage title.

Runs and rides but will need a few things before road worthy.

-Rear wheel

-Turning signals

-Foot break lever assmbly

-Fairings

-exhaust

If you never had a salvage title bike, let me give a small summary of how to get a rebuilt title. You get a salvage inspection paper at you local DMV ~$50. Schedule your inspection as soon  by calling them or going online Any replacement parts you buy, you must have a valid receipt, and eBay receipts do not qualify.  

I was planning on fixing it up but found a newer CBR600rr I want to pick up and need to free up some cash since I have a couple cars and three bikes.

Asking $2000 cash. Great starter bike. Let me know if interested or need more info. Thanks!

[url=

Edited by ItzaME

Is there any way I could edit my OP? I totally got distracted and posted the thread mid sentence because I was trying to get the picture uploaded but was having problems with the computer I'm using -_-

Anyways, here is the complete summary of getting it road legal again:

Get inspection receipt from DMV usually around $50-$55. Schedule the inspection to your nearest highway patrol location ASAP because in the summer months its usually at least a month wait but that gives you time to get the bike/car finished so its not bad. For every part you replace, KEEP the receipt, you will need it as proof that you did not steal the part. That is the number one thing they are checking for is that you have not assembled a bike with stolen parts and that it is safe on the road. One thing that sucks is I have had bad luck with eBay receipts so try your best to not use eBay receipts. Once you tell the officer what you replaced and he checks the receipts then you are good to go. If you pass, he will give you your title back along with a paper that shows you have passed inspection and you take this paper along with the salvage title to the DMV. The DMV will then take the salvage title and make it a rebuilt-salvage title aka rebuilt title and now its used as a regular title. Go get registration and ride!   

Some tips: They test the front brake light, rear brake, signals (front and rear) (integrated kit is good too), horn. They also check all vins. You do not need registration OR plates to get the bike to inspection. You are allowed to get it there however you'd like I always ride it up there unless its snowing then I put the bike in a truck. On a few cars I bought years ago it had a different motor and trans. I did not put a new motor and trans in it since I just bought it like that. They asked me about it, and I told them I was not aware and the I purchased it like that. There were no problems and I passed just like normal. Be honest and you'll be fine, its not rocket science. If you buy used parts from a car/bike then have the owner write out a receipt/bill of slae clearly explaining what you purchased/price/date/both names and signatures/phone numbers AND VIN, do not forget the vin since its the most important part along with seller info. Some offices are more strict then others and require it be notarized but some don't mind. I came in with a notebook paper that was mostly crinkled up and it had all the info they needed so worked fine. Those are all the instances and details I can think of. Its simple. Let me know if you have any questions.

I had goodluck there... The bike I had inspected was wadded up after t boning a car at 50mph... I didn't have any receipts for anything since the bike was passed down to me from my dad fully restored... They didn't hassle me at all, very easy experience... If I wasn't currently buying a house, I'd probably pick this up from you and find somewhere to store it until I'm in town next... This is the exact bike I've been wanting to buy for my gf... Glws

I once bought a bike that wasn't wrecked...It was stolen and recovered, but still issued a salvage title.  The thieves painted it flat black, it just needed repainted.  It passed inspection with no receipts.

gallery_3518_1178_1369457520_14603.jpg

Yup as long as your honest it works out & thanks Steve.

Tpoppa, I also had my last 2008 GSXR750 as a theft recovery bike. Already had a replacement vin on it also so it was sweet. Just get on and ride.

Man, the inspection center in Jackson Ohio is way more strict. I totaled my truck 6 weeks after I painted it and had to get a rebuilt inspection. I painted over the vin stickers on the doors and the inspection center was ready to take my doors, since I didn't have a receipt for them (Never damaged in crash). It took a bunch of convincing to talk them out of it.

The target audience for a CBR-500R are not the DIYers who want a project bike.  You're right that it might be low mileage, but it's only cheap because it needs $2,000 worth of work.  Why not fix it up and sell it as a complete bike?  Might get more interest.

The target audience for a CBR-500R are not the DIYers who want a project bike. You're right that it might be low mileage, but it's only cheap because it needs $2,000 worth of work. Why not fix it up and sell it as a complete bike? Might get more interest.

Just have to wait for right buyer... I'd love to pick this up and I'd pay asking price if he was local... Fix it up for the gf or use it as a mpg saver for commuting... Could use as a track bike.... Plenty of reasons to buy this other than being a new rider.... Plus, who wants to buy a pristine bike for their first ride? I'd rather have one that's already been down to learn on, so I don't ruin the value of it if it falls

Edited by Steve Butters

There is a newer cbr600rr I wanted to pick up so have to sell this before hand. And this bike doesn't need 2000 worth of work, not even half that.. If it doesn't sell I'll finish it but after putting it on craigslist it'll be gone soon.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a newer cbr600rr I wanted to pick up so have to sell this before hand. And this bike doesn't need 2000 worth of work, not even half that.. If it doesn't sell I'll finish it but after putting it on craigslist it'll be gone soon.

trade me for the Katana?   It needs fork seals, and I keep talking about doing a valve and cam-chain adjustment, but it runs so well, I haven't bothered...

It's been down, but beyond some scratches on the cases, you wouldn't know it.    I replaced the ignition cover after I put it down at 5 mph (dumb mistake on my part).  The case itself cracked slightly and was leaking oil.  I have the old case cover if you want to see how minor it was.  I've ridden it with the new cover and gasket.  It's good as new.