Central Ohio Rides

what

Jacob I had a great time riding today. Thank you and your friend for making the journey south. A large bug hit my camera lens early in the ride and all photos and video are no-go. Home safe. B.

No problem, it was just bug juice. Garmin said we traveled 180 miles and somewhere hit 107 ts. Dont know how that could have happened. Good luck on your project. I went back to our last stop and got my bag this am. All is well.

Edited by B-Mac

Glad you grabbed your bag, totally forgot about it.  

Sooooo, for those that care, there should be some images below illustrating why yesterday, while awesome for most of it, was kind of a bummer for me at the end.  Hit some gravel and lowsided at about 50.  Downhill in a curve, I was in the throttle, didn't see the gravel, and just started sliding.  I'm totally fine, bike not so much!  haha The gear did it's job, burned some holes in the pants and rashed up the jacked some, but I'm out with no damage at all.  Once again, thanks to UnclePunk for encouraging me to wear my road race boots more regularly, they saved my left foot/ankle/shin for sure.

Brain didn't live too far from the accident so we grabbed his truck and trailer and he very kindly drove me home.  Bike is at Iron Pony getting the estimate, Allstate seems pretty cool so far, we'll see what it looks like when it comes time to pay, but I'm feeling hopeful.

It was a great day, took some new routes in an area I frequent so that was cool.  Weather was perfect and aside from that spot of gravel I hit, the roads were mint.

bkQp52F.jpg

FYLyhw6.jpg

https://youtu.be/joW1oE0JSEc

I suck at videos, but took this of the scene after we packed up the bike.

I was leading this exercise and I can say that we had just slowed our pace down to 60 and below about 8 miles before. I was nursing the Z to the gas station with a flickering warning light. The problem was that the gravel was sooooo fine and the sun was behind us. This condition visually washed out any color contrast between gravel and asphalt. I was in 6th gear just off idle slight lean angle and I hit it. My back started to slide and I throttled out "a-lay" dirt bike power slide. Keep in mind 6th gear 3K rpm not too much torque with the inline 4. but enough to keep from hi-siding. I braked and watched in my mirror as Jacob slid out. We had been conservative all day with corner speeds, Adjusting lines early, mid and late corner for leaves, road kill, gravel. Typical autumn riding conditions. Can't react to what you can't see. Shit happens. If I had more fuel on board we would both be in a bad place right now. Clean corner, engine wound-up, and power on thru the corner.  "Bad things man..."  :crazy:  Jacob can now get a Hypermotard for 2016. See thing happen for a reason. Besides he is to young for a FJR.

B.

Edited by B-Mac

Thanks guys, as Brian said, this was a fun, but pretty conservative pace, particularly at the end.  I would say I wasn't much faster than 50 in that corner, I'm a bit of a wuss on the downhill stuff anyway and start slower in those sections.  I was in the throttle all the way down the hill which probably kept my front some sliding and slamming me into the ground.  It was a pretty low impact experience for me, can't say it enough, it would have really sucked to pick gravel out of my leg and my gear really did it's job.

It's getting an estimate now, we'll see what happens with insurance.  If they total it out I'm thinking supermoto or 600 supersport of some kind.  Something lighter mostly.  I love the FJR for everything it does and I'll be happy whichever way it goes.  

It's getting an estimate now, we'll see what happens with insurance.  If they total it out I'm thinking supermoto or 600 supersport of some kind.  Something lighter mostly.  I love the FJR for everything it does and I'll be happy whichever way it goes.  

Oh man, you were fast on the FJR, if you get a super sport it's game over. haha

Really glad to hear you are ok Jacob. It sounds a lot like my wreck. Was doing a normal pace around 55 and just got caught out by gravel in a turn. Also glad to hear you had all your gear on. My gear saved my back when I hit a tree. I will always ride in full gear, no matter how hot it might be outside. Good luck on finding a new ride! You could always do the Ninjadoc guess the bike thread when you get your new ride!