Labor cost for fork seals?

redkow97

What's this for? I can tell you the flat rate hours 7 then it just depends on the shop's hourly rate. Typically I see around 3-4 hours for fork seals on the bike. For example it's 2.1 hours per side for 2000 Katana 750...

4 hours to do fork seals? I did the ones on my Honda in an hour and I had to drive the legs down out of the clamps with rebar. 40 years worth of rust.

Is that blowing your guys' minds...? I don't know how familiar you are with flat rates or how dealerships come up with their prices but it's a standardize time based off of warranty from Suzuki, in the example I gave above. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet not.  It's also to replace all internal components.This isn't a statement as to how long it would take, what I would charge, etc. etc... It's an easy way to know what shops will charge, if you know their hourly rate... That's all.

It also lists 12.8 hours to replace rod bearings in a 2007 ZX-10R, if you guys can do better/charge less/etc... That's cool too.

Forgive me gentleman, I have not done my due diligence in clarifying this information to address your concerns... As stated, 2.1 hours is for one complete fork rebuild, as I'm sure you guys can picture, once one fork is off there's nothing to getting the second fork off. The flat rate is not doubled here, the other fork is literally an additional 0.3 hours.

MidgetTodd, thanks for the heads up. If you decide that you would still like to do them yourself, but with some help, my resources remain open to you. For clarification, that's at no charge. I understand that you guys have long standing members who have proven their worth, in time you guys will see that I personally bring a lot of value to the table.

The local Duc store charges $90/hour. They've forks listed on their website at "$225, on the bike". That's 2.5 hours labor from a Ducati shop. If a Suzuki store quoted me 4 hours to service my forks, I'd probably piss myself from laughing until I collapsed.

Another shop, FCR Suspension, charges $75/fork to service the fluid and seals.

Customer pay at the BMW dealer I worked for was warranty flat rate time times 2.5.....

2.5 hours seems perfectly reasonable. I apologize for being a dick, but I hate seeing people get taken because a shop feels entitled. Thank you for taking the time to clarify and we certainly could use more useful members. Right now, it's a forum full of midgets and sammich makers. Men are at a deficit. :)

lol no harm, no foul. I could've looked closer in the first place. Motorcyclists in the Ohio area and forums like this one have been a big help to me over the years, I'm here to return the favor where I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of fork service .......has anyone had work done at MPH off of Route 8?

I know they are a suspension shop. I am looking to get my forks revalved .(sorry off topic)

Not personally, but my neighbor has had a lot of work done there. He is happy.