Skidmark Garage

Tonik

I had a feeling. I wanted to open a motorcycle garage with this same idea. Then, I pulled my head out of my ass and remembered most people are too stupid to be allowed near an actual garage.

Exactly. Add hydraulic lifts to that. Insurance company will laugh the entire way to the bank. 

I don't see this as something that a properly written hold harmless/limited liability waiver couldn't take care of.  It's not like you're having to get insurance to cover any possible scenario, just a policy to cover something in the case of theft or fire.  The waiver would take care of any stupid customers from making a claim against them.

They have this in England. But it's very strict entry. Have to know someone who can vouch for you and if something is screwed up you both get the boot. Also. Having access to security cameras to know who fucked shit up is key. Like the idea. But at a couple Hundo a month membership you could build your own bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure we had kinda the same thing on the AF base I was stationed at in the early 80's...

There was like 3 or 4 bays with lifts, engine stands, tools, etc.

Staffed by an NCO to keep everything under control.

We had it in the Navy, too.

I think most people that have a clue about really wrenching on their bike and the knowledge and desire to do so already HAVE a place/means to do it.    HOw else do you learn, except in a place like this, and with motors and women and other such things, learning is expensive :)

IP, I was thinking the same thing.  What if you move Mr. Squidly's shit out of the way so someone else can use the bay and something gets damaged or misplaced, now you are liable because it happened on your property.  The tools thing is something that came to mind as well.  It has taken me years to build up my toolboxes and I will not loan them out to just anyone so they can be abused.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots who would take advantage of borrowing tools and fucking something up. 

Hey, I just had a brain dump!  What if you take the same concept as a lube stop and market it strictly for motorcycles?  First come, first served!  Pull in, get an oil change, fluids checked, air cleaner, tires and pressures checked and then out the door.  Just basic maintenance.  Open seasonally.  In the off season you could promote longer projects like clutches, motor work, forks, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, guys.  You're welcome to come by and hang out.  I'm pretty much open 9am to 2am everyday.

All the concerns you bring up are valid.  But so far, there hasn't been a tool that's been stolen.  A few have broke, but not because of sheer ignorance - and they had guarantees on them, so I just got new ones.  People that leave their shit on the bench will become an issue once I manage to secure more customers.  I envision the rule being that you have to take your stuff off when you leave - unless you wanna pay a few extra bucks per day to keep it on the bench.  The insurance thing is difficult, for sure.

But please...come by.  Have a beer.  Eff around with your bike and anyone else that needs a hand.  It's pretty much the dream man-cave.

Brian Schaffran

www.skidmarkgarage.com

440-591-4822