Trucks can't see you!

Wojo72

I was at a gold wing rally once and sat in the cab...they had 12 Wings parked around the truck like that. Couldnt see any of them.

Also cant see your video on mobile. Thanks Casper.

Edit, oh..its a pic not a video.

Edited by Tonik

Even a van, mini-van, or SUV will have these blind spots. Anything that the driver sits up higher. Smaller blind spot, yes, but with a little lack of attention by the driver, it's the same blind spots.

2-10.jpg

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/graphics/english/dandv/driver/handbook/handbook_drivers/2-10.jpg

Then ,in this day and age, they should have video monitors. No reason not to be able to see if there is something in the direction you're moving your vehicle. 

I had a semi run me off the left lane of highway in to the median in an extended cab pickup. Luckily there was no cement wall or steel cable.

I always wonder what is going through people's minds that just sit next to a truck in their blind spot and never move out of it. Nothing? That's what I'm guessing anyway. Blissful ignorance/stupidity.

I notice semis maximizing their blind spots by only using the center lane around 270.

Drive for a while, you'll understand why they do it. Option? Far right lane which may disappear, or cause an exit require multiple lane changes - easy in a car or on a bike, not always so handy in a 65' vehicle. Far left? Passing lane, need I say more about sitting over there? The lack of lane vision is a downside, but then drivers should be keenly aware of the 80,000lb, 12' high thing and not sit in its blind spots or have too much trouble maneuvering around it.

I know exactly why they do it, They don't want the chance of getting held up so they shift the problem and guarantee all other cars are held up. Car drivers do it too but not as effectively. and they have to change lanes into and out of the middle so... The non rush hour times I drive the trucks are in the middle the left lane is clogged up with other middle lane drivers merging with the fast lane and the right lane is empty because you're not supposed to pass on the right and the trucks are the slowest vehicle. I didn't know there was a provision excluding trucks from slower vehicles stay right. 

Edited by motocat12

I know exactly why they do it, They don't want the chance of getting held up so they shift the problem and guarantee all other cars are held up. Car drivers do it too but not as effectively. and they have to change lanes into and out of the middle so... The non rush hour times I drive the trucks are in the middle the left lane is clogged up with other middle lane drivers merging with the fast lane and the right lane is empty because you're not supposed to pass on the right and the trucks are the slowest vehicle. I didn't know there was a provision excluding trucks from slower vehicles stay right. 

At least you're seeing it from all viewpoints (yours and yours).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I dont dick around anywhere close to a semi. On the bike, nor in a cage. Way too many what-ifs playing against me. Ever see a recap blow apart at 70mph while inflated to 125psi and frag multiple vehicles? On a bike that would likely equal death and dismemberment.

Get in their mirrors, get their attention, and get past them safe and speedily.

I dont dick around anywhere close to a semi. On the bike, nor in a cage. Way too many what-ifs playing against me. Ever see a recap blow apart at 70mph while inflated to 125psi and frag multiple vehicles? On a bike that would likely equal death and dismemberment.

Get in their mirrors, get their attention, and get past them safe and speedily.

I agree 100% with that strategy....I stay as far away from trucks as I can.I saw a truck tire blow out,it was an explosion,fire ball and the whole works.I don't want to be within a hundred yards of that on a bike!I don't ride in anyone's blind spot...speed up, slow down, whatever it takes get out of the blind spot.