Mid Ohio 8/5,6 Saturday-Sunday track day.

rusty

Does anyone know if they'll have tire service? I have tires just might need a mount/balance or two...

Every time I've been there the last few years they have had tire service. But with this being a short notice weekend, I have no idea. Try giving Mid-O a call and see if they know. 

Brake pads are easy on most bikes.  Do you already have the pads, or have to order them?

I'd have to order em, that's the problem. Easy peasy to swap out, 20 minutes max. 

Too late now though no matter how I slice it. It's all good, Ill just save the $$ for an extra voucher this winter. Kind of want to have a track bike I can thrash for my next time up there anyhow. 

Edited by what

You too, you're not allowed in Novice anymore. And you left too soon and missed the excitement of last session. Late braking is one thing I do very well and yet one that I was towing all day for some reason tried to pass me on the outside at the end of the back straight at the 200 marker. It didn't work as I'm assuming he planned. Only red flag of day and at end of day. I'd say a very good day.

You too, you're not allowed in Novice anymore. And you left too soon and missed the excitement of last session. Late braking is one thing I do very well and yet one that I was towing all day for some reason tried to pass me on the outside at the end of the back straight at the 200 marker. It didn't work as I'm assuming he planned. Only red flag of day and at end of day. I'd say a very good day.

Why am I not allowed back in Novice?

After the dumped fluids on the 3rd session wreck,I sat and relaxed,seriously was too hot and tired to go back out after sitting for an hour.

Anyone know if that guy who got lifeflighted out is okay? He was pinned underneith his bike up against the wall on the right side of thunder valley when I was heading into the pit, not sure how he managed to end up over there. He was moving around from the looks of it...

Why am I not allowed back in Novice?

After the dumped fluids on the 3rd session wreck,I sat and relaxed,seriously was too hot and tired to go back out after sitting for an hour.

You trying to hustle someone being in the novice group or something?  Step up and challenge for KING OF INTERMEDIATE!!!  There is no King of Novice....don't want to put too much pressure on the newbs.

We really need to get a badge or trophy or something and pass it around to whoever "slums" it when they should have been in advanced.

Anyone know if that guy who got lifeflighted out is okay? He was pinned underneith his bike up against the wall on the right side of thunder valley when I was heading into the pit, not sure how he managed to end up over there. He was moving around from the looks of it...

No update on his condition.  He was moving when I rode by as well (14:20 mark in the video).  If it's the same guy I'm thinking of (comes in around the 4:00 mark between me and my buddy on the red 848), he was on a mission to scrape elbows with the track (and I think he was going for his helmet too).  They were nice enough to pack his bike and trailer and a buddy of his moved his truck.

https://youtu.be/gJk24SHHZ4A

If I had to guess, given where he was at in Thunder Valley, I think he may've tried an over/under move going into TV and was on the inside of the straight, and another rider on the outside may've unknowingly pinched him off setting up way early for T13 (the lefthander at the top of TV).

Edited by Trackbikez

I'll just say I haven't read this whole thread.  I don't know what happened to the rider and hope he'll be OK.   

Over many years of riding I've lost count of how many times someone has told me that it safer to ride on the track than the street.  I've never believed that and I'm afraid I still don't.  Riding in open rural roads (like SEO) eliminates many of the traffic concerns on the street. 

I've only ever done one track day, and and it was fun...but I've never been more concerned about some unfamiliar rider collecting me in a wreck.   And there were plenty of wrecks that day.  You may be able to eliminate some variables by riding on the track.  But there are variables you can control on the street that you can't on the track, too.  Like who is riding in front or behind you.  

Anyone who's ridden with my knows I tend to ride a pace that can get fairly hot.  I've never even seen blood in something like 250,000 miles of aggressive group riding.  Maybe I should thank the guys I ride with for that.

Thoughts?  Flames?

No update on his condition.  He was moving when I rode by as well (14:20 mark in the video).  If it's the same guy I'm thinking of (comes in around the 4:00 mark between me and my buddy on the red 848), he was on a mission to scrape elbows with the track (and I think he was going for his helmet too).  They were nice enough to pack his bike and trailer and a buddy of his moved his truck.

https://youtu.be/gJk24SHHZ4A

If I had to guess, given where he was at in Thunder Valley, I think he may've tried an over/under move going into TV and was on the inside of the straight, and another rider on the outside may've unknowingly pinched him off setting up way early for T13 (the lefthander at the top of TV).

Complete outside speculation, but his position leads me to believe it may have been a saved highside that steered him into the inside of the track.  I've spun the rear cresting into thunder valley plenty of times...most of the time it is predictable, but if you are not expecting it and it tosses you, it would send you in that direction.

I'll just say I haven't read this whole thread.  I don't know what happened to the rider and hope he'll be OK.   

Over many years of riding I've lost count of how many times someone has told me that it safer to ride on the track than the street.  I've never believed that and I'm afraid I still don't.  Riding in open rural roads (like SEO) eliminates many of the traffic concerns on the street. 

I've only ever done one track day, and and it was fun...but I've never been more concerned about some unfamiliar rider collecting me in a wreck.   And there were plenty of wrecks that day.  You may be able to eliminate some variables by riding on the track.  But there are variables you can control on the street that you can't on the track, too.  Like who is riding in front or behind you.  

Anyone who's ridden with my knows I tend to ride a pace that can get fairly hot.  I've never even seen blood in something like 250,000 miles of aggressive group riding.  Maybe I should thank the guys I ride with for that.

Thoughts?  Flames?

The change in environment and hazards will definitely cause concerns when first adapting to the track.  Hell, in the reverse scenario, I'd be shaking in my boots going back to a spirited street ride at this point.

Traffic on track can sometimes get a little congested, but that is why passing rules are in place for each group(novice, intermediate, advance).  There is also an option to get out of the traffic, signal and pit, cruise through, and head back out for some clean track.  

With that being said I don't see that much of a difference in safety between a reasonably spirited street ride and track time, they should both be extremely safe.  What it comes down to IMHO, is the point at which you start pushing your limits, there's no way around it, hazard exists in that unknown zone.  Track vs street,  I'd rather lowside on the track 100 times to the 1 time on the street....the repercussions of sliding off the side of the road are too high on the street.

Riding in SEO doesn't eliminate the traffic concerns, it reduces the likelyhood of them occurring.  It is the moment that you start getting comfortable that one of those hazards poses the most risk.  Nivin's video of being pulled out in front of comes to mind.

Edited by RHill

Track vs street,  I'd rather lowside on the track 100 times to the 1 time on the street....the repercussions of sliding off the side of the road are too high on the street.

Perhaps.  But I think that lowside is about 100 times more likely to occur on the track.

I would equate the cornering speed on a spirited street ride to be roughly the same as the intermediate group (based solely on my observations).  What was different was the hard drives out of corners and the resulting brake zones, which I would guess is where the majority of lowsides occur.

I'm sure it all comes down to which environment your more comfortable in.  For me it's obviously on the street.  It just seems that I hear about alot more bikes going down on the track...which I'm sure it an acceptable risk for a trackday or race.

I haven't had someone on one of my group rides go down in the last 40-50,000 miles.  I honestly can't even remember the last one. 

For me it's obviously on the street.  It just seems that I hear about alot more bikes going down on the track...which I'm sure it an acceptable risk for a trackday or race.

If a tree falls in the woods....

When someone goes down on the track, there are people who talk about it, well wishes, videos, all that good stuff.  Just because you don't see it first hand or hear of it happening, doesn't mean it isn't.  Out of the last dozen or so group rides I was on, 4 people went down....1 requiring an ambulance, 1 requiring a bike fished out of a ravine(me) and the other two were luckily very minor.  These were just normal paced street rides....similar to the pace we have rode in the past.  

Now consider the density of riders,and riding time at each track day.  Then add in the pace and environment.  PIRC full we had 61 riders per group, 3 groups + control riders.  Lets just call it 200 people.  7 sessions at 20 minutes apiece.  That is equivalent to 200 people on a 2.5 hour ride at and beyond their limit.  There is going to be crashes, and there is going to be witnesses who want to give their well wishes and know that the person is OK.  So yeah, crashes at the track are a lot more visible than the one guy out riding by himself on some back road that overdoes it just a hair and hits be berm.

Edited by RHill

Now consider the density of riders,and riding time at each track day.  Then add in the pace and environment.  PIRC full we had 61 riders per group, 3 groups + control riders.  Lets just call it 200 people.  7 sessions at 20 minutes apiece.  That is equivalent to 200 people on a 2.5 hour ride at and beyond their limit.  There is going to be crashes, and there is going to be witnesses who want to give their well wishes and know that the person is OK.  So yeah, crashes at the track are a lot more visible than the one guy out riding by himself on some back road that overdoes it just a hair and hits be berm.

I agree with all of this.

If 61 riders showed up for a street ride and tried to ride together it would be an absolute shit show.  Once the group size gets over 6 or 7 I am looking to split into a smaller, controllable group or just ride solo.

I always thought that overall you have a greater chance of crashing on the track than you do the street, most of which are harmless low sides, worst case is you have a bad high side. Air fence is becoming more and more common to see at tracks so is reducing the risk of hitting something after crashing. That said the risk of injury is still greater on the track IMO, and even more so when you are at race pace rather than track day pace. 

I would say that the chance of death would be greater by riding on the street on fast rides between gravel on the road, cars going left of center or even low siding into an on coming car or guardrail etc... Also on a track medical staff is right there to help out if something really goes south.

I suppose whichever you choose there is a risk that we all take. I personally enjoy track more because you dont have to worry about gravel or cars or wildlife "for the most part". You can just push as hard as you are willing/able and can learn so much more about how to control things like spinning up the rear when coming out of a turn. You can also see your improvements via lap time and dont have to worry about tickets. Im sure you and other street riders have their own reasons for preferring street riding over the track.