Tesla Review

Tonik

Not gonna be cheaper, by much anyway. They are targeting the rich geek types...the technophiles. This car is far more about the tech than the electric.

And like I said before, I think that's a good strategy to generate "buzz" and get the car featured in tech magazines, etc.  It also differentiates them from gasoline vehicles in another way.

all that said, I don't need my car to be ultra technologically advanced.  I WANT an econobox that gets me from A to B safely and efficiently.  I want AC, but I don't need power seats.  I want power mirrors, but I don't need a heated steering wheel.  I want cruise control and an auxiliary input for the stereo, but I don't need satellite internet that streams every song on iTunes as part of  my lease.

I also want it to cost under $25k new, and not need a $7500 tax credit to be economical!

My corolla is almost as budget as you can get in a 4-door.  I will replace it with another corolla, just with a few more features than the base "CE" model I currently drive.  When I went to the Indy GP, I averaged over 37mpg doing 75+ with the AC on.  My day-to-day average is 34mpg in mixed driving.  Sitting in traffic on deadman's curve is killing my average!  80 miles a day sucks, but lately I've been taking the 'long' way home and driving 85 miles to avoid DMC.  Less stop and go is saving me on fuel economy.

I've been following the owners forum closely and much of what is being reported in the media thus far is either inaccurate or conjecture. A handful of the early reservists that ordered the high-end signature model were given access to begin configuring their cars but much of the details are still hidden, even from them. They are braver than me...they have to place their order with a week to make changes on a $140k car for which they have little detail as to the specifications and even how the car would look/function. So far, Tesla has not shown the final production front of the car nor the way the rear seats operate. All ordering exterior views are from the rear.

I don't think people that buy Tesla's are overly concerned about the price of the car, tires or gas.

I tell you what, though... the next car I get might be a Tesla model 3.

Priced at $35k... never having to buy gas... or maintenance valvetrains... or transmissions... or change oil... or worry about gaskets, seals, etc.

Just brakes and tires. Seriously, SERIOUSLY considering that for my next vehicle, after i run this Monte Carlo into the ground.

i don't wanna be all tin foil hatty and shit, but given the disruption (and the disruption will only grow over time) that elon's musk has been creating among various industries, it would not surprise me if he mysteriously died in some sort of accident.

We reserved a model x today...we'll see what it looks like (specs etc) when released to determine if we follow through on acquisition. I fully plan on leasing...if they make leaps in battery technology the value of these "early" models will surely drop significantly.

i don't wanna be all tin foil hatty and shit, but given the disruption (and the disruption will only grow over time) that elon's musk has been creating among various industries, it would not surprise me if he mysteriously died in some sort of accident.

The man can probably afford some beefy personal security.

The man can probably afford some beefy personal security.

no doubt.  but there are so so SO many ways to kill a guy if you have a few hundred thousand $'s laying around as pocket change, security or not.  i sincerely hope he lives a long production inventive life and becomes the future tesla (except well recognized and not robbed blind and not completely oblivious to business concepts).  i guess i just wouldn't be terribly surprised.

I still don't see the appeal of owning a car than can only to the next town over and that's it. you can't even turn around and go home.

Lol do some research and learn why this comment is utterly stupid. I used to think the same thing btw

Lol do some research and learn why this comment is utterly stupid. I used to think the same thing btw

how is it stupid?   cars that can only go 150 miles on  charge is stupid.  you couldn't drive to cincy from columbus and back.   where you gonna charge up?   I've never seen a charge station at 100% of the places I go to.  

just not practical yet.   and unless they are on every corner like a gas station I don't see myself ever considering one.   too much hassle of recharging etc.

I don't know what the telsa gets in miles per charge but pretty much any other electric vehicle can't make it 1/2 way to my parents house in Kentucky from my house.  I would literally need to charge it 5 times for a 3.5-4 hr trip.    they're just not practical for my life.   

Edited by serpentracer

well tried to add this to the above post but ran out of time....

I see cars like the volt also run on gas and can go 380 miles.  ok that would work but look, you're still buying gas also. they are not practical enough and still need to rely on gas.

again, for me,  not a viable option at this present time.  I don't stay within a 30 mile radius of my home all the time.  plus I'm a 100% truck guy.  I don't buy cars because I always need a truck for stuff.   

Edited by serpentracer

how is it stupid? cars that can only go 150 miles on charge is stupid. you couldn't drive to cincy from columbus and back. where you gonna charge up? I've never seen a charge station at 100% of the places I go to.

just not practical yet. and unless they are on every corner like a gas station I don't see myself ever considering one. too much hassle of recharging etc.

I don't know what the telsa gets in miles per charge but pretty much any other electric vehicle can't make it 1/2 way to my parents house in Kentucky from my house. I would literally need to charge it 5 times for a 3.5-4 hr trip. they're just not practical for my life.

Tesla's average around 250mi...of course depending how you drive it. I have no plans to take long trips with the X and I have 3 other cars if I want to take a road trip. I don't think I wood get one if it was my only car though there are more charging stations around than you think.

I still don't see the appeal of owning a car than can only to the next town over and that's it.  you can't even turn around and go home.

It's the major limitation, that's for sure.

I really do think you'll see more of those stations opening up. We've got EVs from 2-3 major manufacturers now (Tesla, Nissan and Mitsubishi all offer one, as well as the Chevy Volt which is a plug-in hybrid more than a true EV).

The local Wal-Mart, which is squarely in Outer Hoodville, has 9-10 free EV ports out front... I don't know that this'll be a problem for much longer TBH.