Another flat tire thread

Tpoppa

After 3 days of sitting I noticed the front tire on my VFR was completely flat.

I refilled it and spent about 15 minutes with a flashlight looking for a puncture.  No pinholes, no marks, nothing.  That was about a week ago.  Since I refilled the tire it hasn't lost a single psi.  I even rode it about 40 miles to see if that would cause it to lose pressure.

What would cause that?  I'm thinking there could have been some crud in the valve stem that kept it from completely sealing.

I check pressure before pretty much every ride, so I'd know if there was a slow leak over time.  There wasn't.

Valve stem loose? Maxp had this happen at the Gap. It was a complicated shitty event of fueled confusion that could have been simpler by having just one valve stem cap that doubles as a valve stem tool.

I have Michelin pilot powers loose air for no apparent reason over the years. Air back up an they are fine. If you have ever changed tires, there are major differences between manufacturers and how they fit and seat on the bead. Most of the time when properly lubed Michelin sport tires can practically be pushed on with little effort. The exact opposite to Bridgestone which can be a complete PITA. Valve would still be my fist check as mentioned above.

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't your kid letting the air out? Actually, Schrader valves with caps don't leak even if there is debris in the internals. As long as the seal with the rim & the exterior of the valve is intact. Did you change out the valves when you changed the tires? If not, next time, put on some Bridgeport's. My Honda shop manual says to replace the valve stems every time you replace the tires. This seems excessive & I don't know anybody who does this, but that's what they say.

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't your kid letting the air out? Actually, Schrader valves with caps don't leak even if there is debris in the internals. As long as the seal with the rim & the exterior of the valve is intact. Did you change out the valves when you changed the tires? If not, next time, put on some Bridgeport's. My Honda shop manual says to replace the valve stems every time you replace the tires. This seems excessive & I don't know anybody who does this, but that's what they say.

Safety reasons. Valves are inexpensive. I was the only guy at the BMW who would replace rubber and tpms valve steams. I never understood why other techs would rip customers off on stupid crap like a tiny bit of fluid of fluid leaking from fan clutch but give me a ration of shit about a $2 valve stem or a $6 dollar tpms seal kit

Gotta go with my grandfathers trick with dish soap.  Squirt a generous amount of dish soap into a open container and put some water in.  Slowly mix, you don't want suds.  Use a small paint brush and run it around the beads and the valve stem.  Leak will blow up a large bubble.  Works every time! That's how I found a small nail in one of my tires.

• Upvote 1