First hand experience with early V-Rods?

Ziggy

I sold my '94 Heritage Softail this week, and set to look at a 2002 V-Rod tomorrow.  I know the early ones had small 3+ gallon tanks, and I've read that the fuel gauges can be kinda wonky.  If anyone has owned, or currently owns a V-Rod, I'd love to hear about any issues I should be looking out for.

It's pretty much only good for that tho....they're a blast in a straight line but they still turn like a Harley.

Silly boy. You never rode with Likwid have you?

yes i'm aware it takes a skilled rider to do what he does on a V-rod and its rare

Edited by Bad324

yes i'm aware it takes a skilled rider to do what he does on a V-rod and its rare

I see this kind of statement made frequently, and I often wonder how subjectively we throw that term around.  I have only ridden with (maybe) 10 members of this site, and always on a race track.  Even those guys have certainly progressed since the last time I was on the track with them.  It makes me wonder how an objective 3rd party would evaluate everyone's (and every bike's) abilities.

That would actually be a fun article for a motorcycle publication:  "We test EVERYTHING."  And then they (preferably 1 rider, or multiple riders getting seat time on ALL the bikes) get to turn laps on a race track with stock bikes of all styles.  I wouldn't bother literally testing everything, because I think it's fair to assume that a stock R6 and a stock ZX6 are comparably capable.  What I'd really like to see in numeric proof is how a Honda Shadow stacks up against a Goldwing against a 1000RR against a VFR1200, etc.  To me that would really demonstrate how much of a compromise is being made in the name of comfort and practicality.

but maybe I'm the only one who wonders about that kind of thing.  Plus I think it would be hard to get a manufacturer to supply that many bikes...  I can dream though, can't I?

can confirm.  bike doesn't handle bad other than the dragging hard parts limiting lean.

to this day one of my favorite sights on a Gap trip was following Jinu piloting the V-rod in a 1pc leather literally hanging off the sides of it

I don't think I could own one, but Id be interested to ride the 2006-07 Street Rod.  IIRC, it has a shorter wheelbase, better suspension, and more ground clearance than the standard V Rod.

Better suspension, slightly higher seat height, mid mounted controls, Showa inverted fork... 

Likwid, it would seem your PM box is full...

I'll see your physics and raise you blatant disregard for self-preservation. Matt is no slouch on his Harley. You can ask Uncle Punk because I was chasing him that day.

Some of the Harley riders are much better than most others. What I was trying to say is that when pushed to it's limit that a V-rod, due to lean angle limitations, will only allow about 75 to 80% of the corner speed of a proper bike (even if the rider is hanging off like a madman). I think the majority of all riders start to leave their comfort zone around 75 to 80%, thus the faster Harley riders, in comparison with the usual Harley riders,seem really fast.

Well, I bought it.  2002 VRSCA 17k miles.  Filthy dirty.  Not posting pics until I have a chance to clean it up a little bit.  Looking at the market here in Cincinnati, I couldn't pass it up for the money.  Hopefully, we'll still have a few nice riding days before it gets silly cold again.

Edited by Ziggy

Had a chance to wash it this weekend.  Really needs a full detailing, but just washing the storage crust off of it did wonders...

12063455_10206242019904211_9121871235743

Early impressions:  Riding position isn't terribly different from my Heritage Softail.  Bars are a little lower, but the controls are easily located without hunting around for them.  The 1130 cc vtwin is, as mentioned by Pokey, a real gem.  9k RPM redline, and it pulls pretty hard all the way there.  It's really smooth, too!  Totally unlike any Harley I've ridden before.  The bike is really long, I think it might be longer than my Heritage was.  It carries the center of gravity really low, so handling is confidence inspiring as compared to most cruiser type bikes, but being so long, cornering is going to take some getting used to.  The gas tank is stupid small.  Even with my Heritage, I was looking for gas after about a hundred miles, but good grief!  And honestly, I don't think it would be so apparent how small the gas tank is, if the fuel level guage didn't work, or wasn't there at all.  Obviously it is there, and in my case, it actually works.  Knowing the tank is only 3.5 gallons helps, but seeing the fuel level drop from full to 3/4 over the course of my 22 mile commute is depressing.  Speaking of commuting, I rode it to work this morning on I75.  I never would have guessed that the solid disk wheels would have so much of an impact on how stable the bike feels, and didn't notice it at all while riding back roads yesterday, but sustained 70+ on the highway around the high and low pressure zones on the trucks did not instill confidence.  The transmission is fun.  Seems to be optimized to put you in the power, no matter what gear you're in.  That said, the ratios are very close together, and sometimes actually leave you wondering if you actually changed gear!  70 on the higway is had at about 4200 RPM, and does seem to be a little buzzy, but passing on the highway does not require a downshift, which is nice.  The guy I bought it from was the second owner.  The original owner drilled the exhaust and pulled the baffles.  It sounds throaty and pleasant, but it doesn't appear he added any kind of programmer to it, so I'm sure it's down on power compared to a totally stock one.  Otherwise, it doesn't appear to have suffered any negative affects.  I'll be making some ergonomic adjustments to the bars and such to better suit my long arms and legs, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  At least happy enough to keep it in the garage over the winter.  ;)