NEW (2017) SV650

redkow97

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2015/11/suzuki-brings-back-the-sv650-with-more-power-and-less-weight/

New frame and updated engine.  They're claiming 15 lbs. weight reduction, while increasing power (didn't say by how much) and efficiency.

The presser only shows a naked model with ABS and standard forks.  I'm wondering if they won't introduce a fully-faired "S" or "F" or "R" model with inverted forks and an upgraded shock at some point - they acknowledge several times that it's a club racing favorite...

Chingrish?

Thanks to its V-twin engine, the seat and fuel tank meet slim, it makes feet reach easier

Looks like a gladius with a 650N light, the rad shrouds+ passenger pegs removed and a bandit tail to me

Max torque bumped to higher revs

Max torque 2017- 64Nm / 8100rpm 2015- 64Nm / 6400rpm 2009 - 64.0 N·m) @ 7000 rpm

They still haven't improved over the gen 2 bike yet

Edited by motocat12

Same crap suspension.......come on Suzuki you can do better than this. One of the most popular bikes of all time and you brought it back, I have a feeling it would sell like hotcakes even if the price was increased due to better suspension. That engine is a gem, an even better improvement on one of the very best ever made.

Same crap suspension.......come on Suzuki you can do better than this. One of the most popular bikes of all time and you brought it back, I have a feeling it would sell like hotcakes even if the price was increased due to better suspension. That engine is a gem, an even better improvement on one of the very best ever made.

Watch them come out with an "R" model like I suggested. Gotta leave something for 2018

Thinner is better for newer/smaller riders. Having shaved the width of the tank without losing capacity was a smart move, I think. ABS will appeal to people. 75hp isn't gonna make heads turn, but it's more than enough in capable hands. Looks like a good all-rounder to begin personalizing. If you want a commuter, you're just about set. Want a canyon carver, call RT or Ohlins and get that sorted. Track bike prep is minimal, save for the suspension..but isn't that pretty typical for track conversions? Track day vs track bike, I mean.

Personally, I think the 2nd gen is the best version of this bike. I liked the creases and blocked alloy frame against the round headlight. Bulbish body lines and a round light just look frumpy. Not sure how Ducati pulled it off with the Monster, but it doesn't work here.

They were saying over 70mpg on this too.

That's reaaalllyy impressive economy, almost double what my FZ1 gets.

IF MSRP comes in at $5100 like the reddit link I saw was claiming, that's a direct shot across the bow of the Ninja 250/300 and Yamaha R3 markets.

70 mpg, $5,100. Not likely. There are a lot of interesting bikes being introduced but this isn't.

The 70mpg, I discovered, is actually UK gallons. So more like 61mpg US. Still solid. To be specific, promo video claims 3.84L/100km.

I guess we'll wait and see on price. :)

Edited by Ryan_c_F

The 70mpg, I discovered, is actually UK gallons. So more like 61mpg US. Still solid. To be specific, promo video claims 3.84L/100km.

I guess we'll wait and see on price. :)

61 mph would be realistic in actual conditions when ridden with zeal, and possibly a little higher if used as just a casual country roadster on the weekends.  I base that on my heavier DL650 with a Gladius engine in it, getting a real-world, measured, lifetime fuel economy of 54 mpg in combined highway, city, country, dirt and gravel riding across OH, WV, PA, VA and MD.

DR650 is 6,499.

Maybe 5100 was Euros or Lbs too.

Steel swinger? I thought it was just a steel welded on subframe.

If Euros, the conversion rate is really good right now.  1 Euro = 1.07 USD plus some market spot, so count on 1.13 or similar.  That means 5100 euros are worth about $5800, so probably similar to the DR650 once transfer fees and stuff are added.

I'm sill disappointed in the suspension though.  I thought 'Zuki might do something to take back the crown from the FZ-07's incursion but it doesn't look like it.