Mid Ohio 2016

RHill

Yes same Mark. 

Twilight has been there for a long time, basically just drops novice and gets you about the same amout of track time for less money.

Marks guys will change tires there for you when he has time but better to go prepared in case he's busy or not there.

Oh hell! Does he still ride at least? Doubt he will remember me, but him and Trey would suck the paint off my bike passing! 

So big favor guys, I left my back protector in Texas. Anyone have a spare I can borrow. I'd rather not give Iron Pony anymore of my money. PM me please.

I'm still taking a gamble for tomorrow. Hoping it rains early morning or late evening. Played the weather game before, and when the gamble works, some major fee track without much traffic. 

18 hours ago, DesmoDuc said:

VMD Roll Call

Who is racing what?

I'm doing STARS HW and MegaTwins/Tripples on my eurotrash 1098.

probably will be there to watch Saturday (and camp Sat nite). Interested in learning more about "vintage" bikes... toying with the idea of picking up something to do AHRMA series next year and figured it'd be a good venue to do some research.

Planning on being there over the weekend to check out the show and lend a hand......if I have a bike to ride come the trackday Monday, who knows at this point.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RHill said:

Planning on being there over the weekend to check out the show and lend a hand......if I have a bike to ride come the trackday Monday, who knows at this point.

This is my plan as well.  Will be with Steve helping do whatever he needs in the pits, and may try to ride myself on Monday.

On 7/5/2016 at 11:26 AM, RHill said:

Ryan, the last part of your sentence above sounds ominous ... you OK?  bike OK?

31 minutes ago, DesmoDuc said:

Ryan, the last part of your sentence above sounds ominous ... you OK?  bike OK?

The 750 took a shit on my NYST dreams. Got 2 decent sessions to learn the track; then the engine sporadically would have no power on roll on.  I believe it was the electrical connection to the secondary throttle valve actuator; which is fixed, but I'm still hesitant to assume it is completely corrected.  My plan is to put the 600 together and take both to the next couple track days.

NYST is my Eleanor.....missed out on two PERFECT days and drove ~14 hours to be frustrated by a mechanical.

23 minutes ago, RHill said:

The 750 took a shit on my NYST dreams. Got 2 decent sessions to learn the track; then the engine sporadically would have no power on roll on.  I believe it was the electrical connection to the secondary throttle valve actuator; which is fixed, but I'm still hesitant to assume it is completely corrected.  My plan is to put the 600 together and take both to the next couple track days.

NYST is my Eleanor.....missed out on two PERFECT days and drove ~14 hours to be frustrated by a mechanical.

Sorry to hear that Ryan!

I'm assuming camping in the pits will be permitted Sunday night as usual?

From the website:

"Free paddock camping available on the following dates:
May 15th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd
June 12th, 13th, 18th
July 3rd
August 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 31st
September 4th, 5th, 6th"

Just got off the phone with them(everyone there is so nice and responsive).  If you are just doing the trackday Monday, they will let you in after 7pm Sunday.  That seems to be the norm at this point, showed up early to a prior event and the car/bike had to sit at the gate till 6.

BTW advance group is about half and intermediate is about 2/3 full.

Also walking on Monday for "I" group. Weather is looking good, but it's going to be a hot one.

Does anyone know if registering two bikes is an issue? I would like to take my Speed Triple out for a session or two but not the whole day. 

3 hours ago, RHill said:

From the website:

"Free paddock camping available on the following dates:
May 15th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd
June 12th, 13th, 18th
July 3rd
August 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 31st
September 4th, 5th, 6th"

Just got off the phone with them(everyone there is so nice and responsive).  If you are just doing the trackday Monday, they will let you in after 7pm Sunday.  That seems to be the norm at this point, showed up early to a prior event and the car/bike had to sit at the gate till 6.

BTW advance group is about half and intermediate is about 2/3 full.

Thanks Ryan! You da man!!!

1 hour ago, Limitedslip7 said:

Also walking on Monday for "I" group. Weather is looking good, but it's going to be a hot one.

Does anyone know if registering two bikes is an issue? I would like to take my Speed Triple out for a session or two but not the whole day. 

I would think that as long as you get them both teched you would be good to go. It's not like both bikes will be out at the same time. I've seen where two people shared one bike for a day and only had to pay for one person. 

Early registration closes at noon tomorrow.

Anyone interested in splitting a garage Monday?  If we can get it split 4 ways, I'd be in.  Pretty sure it is $50.

Beautiful day at Mid-O yesterday; just a little bit warm. I only counted 20 in intermediate, so whoever said it was 2/3's full was full of it. I registered Friday at 11:30 and i ended up being #8 on the list. I'm not complaining though. I had open track almost the entire day. Too bad my lap timer battery crapped out the first session. Pretty sure i was hitting personal best in the afternoon. 

On a side note, i was told at gear tech (yes they check gear now) that they will no longer allow 2-piece suits next year in intermediate. That really makes me upset, my 2-piece is better than many of the 1-pieces out there. I really like taking the coat off between sessions. Now i have to spend my slipper clutch money a new suit this winter. Blah....

It was good seeing the regulars out there and meeting some new folks.

@jhughes - Sorry we didn't have time to hangout more

@ludwb675 - It was nice to put a face with the name.  Good to see you and Dave.

@RHill - Thanks for the feedback on my lines, and the 1/2 lap tow until I couldn't see you anymore :)

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

Beautiful day at Mid-O yesterday; just a little bit warm. I only counted 20 in intermediate, so whoever said it was 2/3's full was full of it. I registered Friday at 11:30 and i ended up being #8 on the list. I'm not complaining though. I had open track almost the entire day. Too bad my lap timer battery crapped out the first session. Pretty sure i was hitting personal best in the afternoon. 

On a side note, i was told at gear tech (yes they check gear now) that they will no longer allow 2-piece suits next year in intermediate. That really makes me upset, my 2-piece is better than many of the 1-pieces out there. I really like taking the coat off between sessions. Now i have to spend my slipper clutch money a new suit this winter. Blah....

Advance only had 12 riders when I signed up in the morning and it felt like less on track.  Beautiful day with tons of open track.

Wish I would have known about the timer, I have a GPS that you could have borrowed for the day. 

Yep, they are starting to do a gear tech as well as bike tech.  Rusty gave me shit about my duct taped boot soles, but I agree they are a half assed temporary repair that needs attention.  I'm kind of surprised about the 2 piece, if it is good condition and a full zipper, I would have thought it would be fine for intermediate???  I'll say I looooooove my RST I picked up from Riders Discount, think they were about sold out of their closeouts though.

Couple views of the last session for now, screwed up the editing and sequencing of the first one......also didn't realize the camera was set to narrow field of view so it is a little different.  The second video turned out way better than I anticipated, I'll be using that view again 

• Upvote 3

I had a great time racing at Mid O over Vintage Days.  Let's just say the fast guys schooled me a bit...

While walking around on Sunday, I spied Wes Cooley's superbike in the pit lane, with Wes sitting there getting ready to ride a few laps of honor.  As I was attempting to take a few pics through the chain link fence, one of the guys down on pit lane said, "come on down."  So headed down and had a few moments conversation with Wes, a really decent guy.  He had a really bad accident in 1985 and still showed some signs of the injuries.  We got to taking taking pictures of his bike and he graciously offered to have one taken of the two of us.  The bike sounded glorious going down the front straight.

There were several Japanese fellows there as well who came over from Japan.  One spoke some english and relayed to me that one of them was the former Kawasaki Z-1 lead designer and had the serial #1 of the original Eddie Lawson replica.  They got a huge kick out of Wes's old bike and knew a great deal about Pops Yoshimura.

Great Fun ....

Andrew-and-Wes.jpg

Edited by DesmoDuc
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, DesmoDuc said:

I had a great time racing at Mid O over Vintage Days.  Let's just say the fast guys schooled me a bit...

While walking around on Sunday, I spied Wes Cooley's superbike in the pit lane, with Wes sitting there getting ready to ride a few laps of honor.  As I was attempting to take a few pics through the chain link fence, one of the guys down on pit lane said, "come on down."  So headed down and had a few moments conversation with Wes, a really decent guy.  He had a really bad accident in 1985 and still showed some signs of the injuries.  We got to taking taking pictures of his bike and he graciously offered to have one taken of the two of us.  The bike sounded glorious going down the front straight.

There were several Japanese fellows there as well who came over from Japan.  One spoke some english and relayed to me that one of them was the former Kawasaki Z-1 lead designer and had the serial #1 of the original Eddie Lawson replica.  They got a huge kick out of Wes's old bike and knew a great deal about Pops Yoshimura.

Great Fun ....

Andrew-and-Wes.jpg

Wish I had the knowledge to recognize and know some of the history behind the bikes that were out there.  Had to wiki Wes Cooley, very cool!

Got a ton of video from the Sunday races, lot of it is garbage, some of it still needs processed, but here are a couple for now.  Nothing special, just shot with the bare gopro with my shaky hands.  The little bit of commentary is included free of charge:

My best from Monday:

and a little Bacola action to finish it off for now:

21 minutes ago, RHill said:

Quote for attention. Hate when people quote with tons of pictures making me do extra scrolling. I've already seen that content......angry rant over. 

Awesome pics and video Rhill!

What camera/data gear you using to create the overlays? That's awesome! I think it would really in analyzing my riding.