Dealership service trouble

Cdubyah

Some cliche about cooler heads prevailing, and attracting more flies with honey than vinegar...

Unless the honey is in your transmission and the vinegar in the radiator, then the prevailing heads don't cool properly, the transmission sounds like it's full of bees, and you've spent almost $10k fixing your Chrysler powertain.

Keep a happy face.

Sounds like my ordeal with our old Ford Exploder many moons ago. Took it in for the tranny slipping between 2nd and 3rd. 4 days later got it back with a Ford rebuild but now it's slipping between 3rd and 4th. Took it back and 5 days later got it back again. About 3 weeks after that we were back to slipping between 2nd and 3rd again. This time the tech is calling me a liar and says it's not and he can't get it to do it. So I take him for a drive and sometimes it would do it on its own but I knew how to make it do it. I had to floor it up a hill and make it shift hard to make it do it. At this point he doesn't deny that it slipped but said "you're not supposed to drive it that hard". And they denied my replacement. At this point I'm pissed the f*** off so I get a hold of Ford's customer service directly, and basically throw idle threats at them like lemon law and talking to my lawyer. 2 days later I get a call from the service manager of the same dealer telling me to bring it back. So we do and at this point he says it's going to be a little over a week because they're going to send my transmission out too hard shift in Johnstown and have it Heavyduty rebuilt. To make this long story shorter that took care of it never had a problem with the transmission after that.

The engine several years later was a different story but that was out of warranty. That was a vehicle that burnt me on never buy a Ford again. Three transmissions and two engines in less than 120,000 miles. And I'm pretty sure the engine was on the way out again when I traded it in.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

Some cliche about cooler heads prevailing, and attracting more flies with honey than vinegar...

Unless the honey is in your transmission and the vinegar in the radiator, then the prevailing heads don't cool properly, the transmission sounds like it's full of bees, and you've spent almost $10k fixing your Chrysler powertain.

Keep a happy face.

I've only spent $832 for the solenoid pack way back in September. That was fix #2 they offered up. Everything else since then has been on Chrysler's dime. It will continue to be on their dime until it's corrected to my satisfaction.

2 hours ago, Cdubyah said:

I'm not sure who to hold responsible at this point. The dealership is getting direction from Chrysler Engineering, and Chrysler is footing the bill. I'm still a little miffed at the dealership for the service I received at the beginning of the process, and the length of time I've been without my truck.  I've only spouted off at the mouth once to a former service adviser, because he flat out called me a liar. Other than that, I've been pretty damn calm about the whole issue, surprisingly. Just not too sure how much longer I'm going to deal with it.

I don't think it much matters who is responsible at this point.  Chrysler is probably up the dealer's ass about it, if you've been talking to Chrysler.  

It sounds to me like the dealer has not been keeping on top of things, or Chrysler just does stuff WAY different than GM.  It has to be a pretty extreme case for us to call technical assistance (not that way with all dealers, or even techs) and it has to go pretty far through them before an engineer gets involved.  In the 4 or so years that I've been at a GM dealership, I only know of maybe 5 times that myself or other techs have had an engineer involved.  Tech assistance, we have to call them sometimes just to be allowed to order a part that we know is failed, just for them to verify.  I guess I'm bragging a little with this, that I've worked with people smart enough to fix pretty much anything that has come through the door without much help.

If you get a GM, I know where you can bring it for most service! ;)

8 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

I don't think it much matters who is responsible at this point.  Chrysler is probably up the dealer's ass about it, if you've been talking to Chrysler.  

It sounds to me like the dealer has not been keeping on top of things, or Chrysler just does stuff WAY different than GM.  It has to be a pretty extreme case for us to call technical assistance (not that way with all dealers, or even techs) and it has to go pretty far through them before an engineer gets involved.  In the 4 or so years that I've been at a GM dealership, I only know of maybe 5 times that myself or other techs have had an engineer involved.  Tech assistance, we have to call them sometimes just to be allowed to order a part that we know is failed, just for them to verify.  I guess I'm bragging a little with this, that I've worked with people smart enough to fix pretty much anything that has come through the door without much help.

If you get a GM, I know where you can bring it for most service! ;)

Way different than BMW was, we used technical assistance multiple times a week, but they disconnected all their phones and everything was through email. We used them mainly for parts authorization but still at least 3 or 4 times a month for assistance with diagnostics, mostly noises because we would report them when we found common ones and the solutions, but still for the occasional gremlin, especially when the F01/2 came out and cars wouldn't program after replacing a failed module. 

But it me personally I never had it escalate beyond a tech. hotline case, but other guys in the shop would have the engineer come at least once a month, I emailed him a few times but never had to actually have him show up

Edited by zx3vfr

20 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

Way different than BMW was, we used technical assistance multiple times a week, but they disconnected all their phones and everything was through email. We used them mainly for parts authorization but still at least 3 or 4 times a month for assistance with diagnostics, mostly noises because we would report them when we found common ones and the solutions, but still for the occasional gremlin, especially when the F01/2 came out and cars wouldn't program after replacing a failed module. 

But it me personally I never had it escalate beyond a tech. hotline case, but other guys in the shop would have the engineer come at least once a month, I emailed him a few times but never had to actually have him show up

I had field service engineers out twice.  The first time, I had it fixed, the advisor was convinced that it wasn't.  The second time, I ended up fixing it myself, after he talked to the engineer that designed the ECM, etc...  All over a bad ground!

1 hour ago, Cdubyah said:

So the most recent trouble code was for a lean fuel mixture. Apparently they replaced all of the oxygen sensors already, so they ordered a new catalytic converter.
Currently on the way from Michigan. Still covered under warranty.

That's funny!  A bad converter RARELY sets a lean code! :lol:  Oxygen sensors rarely set a lean code, as well.  Ugh.  Maybe things are different with these newer Chrysler products, though?

1 hour ago, jporter12 said:

That's funny!  A bad converter RARELY sets a lean code! :lol:  Oxygen sensors rarely set a lean code, as well.  Ugh.  Maybe things are different with these newer Chrysler products, though?

Yeah, we shall see

1 hour ago, zx3vfr said:

I still think it is the TPS or the wiring from the TPS to whatever module it goes too

It's throttle by wire.  The APP and TPS are both dual potentiometer sensors, cross checking each other.  It is a very sensitive system, and would set a code if there was a problem, or go into what we in GM land call "reduced power mode" and be a whole other set of issues.  So, now that Tonik finally picked up on it and posted the Office Space reference, I think we can rule out the TPS.  

Then again, it IS a Chrysler product, defying all logic anyway.

1 hour ago, jporter12 said:

It's throttle by wire.  The APP and TPS are both dual potentiometer sensors, cross checking each other.  It is a very sensitive system, and would set a code if there was a problem, or go into what we in GM land call "reduced power mode" and be a whole other set of issues.  So, now that Tonik finally picked up on it and posted the Office Space reference, I think we can rule out the TPS.  

Then again, it IS a Chrysler product, defying all logic anyway.

It's the only logical thing, if the TPS briefly loses signal or the PCM doesn't know where the throttle is, it could be throwing it in limp mode so the engine doesn't over rev and almost every vehicle fails in 3rd gear. It might not malfunction long enough to throw a code, heck it might even be in there, the BMWs could come in with faults all the time not related to anything, such as a one time low voltage fault, or some b.s. Like that. It is a Chrysler after all and Chryslers aren't exactly known for their stellar electronics. 

2 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

It's the only logical thing, if the TPS briefly loses signal or the PCM doesn't know where the throttle is, it could be throwing it in limp mode so the engine doesn't over rev and almost every vehicle fails in 3rd gear. It might not malfunction long enough to throw a code, heck it might even be in there, the BMWs could come in with faults all the time not related to anything, such as a one time low voltage fault, or some b.s. Like that. It is a Chrysler after all and Chryslers aren't exactly known for their stellar electronics. 

The TPS will throw the engine into reduced power before the trans into limp mode.  I'm pretty sure they have a separate ECM and TCM, so the TPS signal is sent to the TCM via serial data.  I've NEVER seen a TPS throw a lean code either, without a significant driveability issue.

58 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

We don't know why the lean code showed up, someone could have damaged a sensor or wiring with transmission removal. 

I was thinking something like that.  I would LEAN (I'm so punny) toward a vacuum leak, such as a line off, a PCV fresh air line, etc.  I am VERY curious to find out what it ACTUALLY ends up being.  

I fixed a Cadillac yesterday with a PCM reprogram for a couple lean codes, with a couple others as well.  It was on a 2005 with over 150k miles, and I found it interesting that it had never had it done!  Ya never know!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zx3vfr said:

We don't know why the lean code showed up, someone could have damaged a sensor or wiring with transmission removal. 

This is my thought as well. I was trying to figure out why it got new O2 sensors with a transmission. But this makes the most sense.
Also makes me question what else got screwed up under there during the transmission replacement.

Apparently  there was a leak or a hole in the catalytic converter. Covered under the emissions warranty.

Got the truck back today. Managed to make it all the way home with no trouble codes! Hooray!

The Chrsyler rep offered me oil changes and tire rotations for 3 years on their dime. I asked about the re-imbursement for car payments for time in the shop. She  told me I could have one or the other.  

They gave me until end of business day Friday to report any issues or concerns. So gonna drive the puss out of it for 2 days.

HopefullyI don't have to make another trek back to the dealership.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cdubyah said:

Apparently  there was a leak or a hole in the catalytic converter. Covered under the emissions warranty.

Got the truck back today. Managed to make it all the way home with no trouble codes! Hooray!

The Chrsyler rep offered me oil changes and tire rotations for 3 years on their dime. I asked about the re-imbursement for car payments for time in the shop. She  told me I could have one or the other.  

They gave me until end of business day Friday to report any issues or concerns. So gonna drive the puss out of it for 2 days.

HopefullyI don't have to make another trek back to the dealership.

I'd take the payments, then DUMP THAT BITCH!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, whaler said:

This^^^

wonder how much of this will show up in carfax?

Any parts replaced will go on the report, more than likely. 

I think I'll stay away from GM/Chrysler for my somewhat imminent new vehicle. 

Heard nothing but issues with these.  I will never own one.  I have seen a lot of dodge trucks with rusted out tailgates, bumpers, fenders, rockers and less than 5 years old.  That is just crap in my opinion.  I have a 10 year old Nissan Pathfinder with 163,000 mi and I have one small spot on the inside of a door showing some rust, other than that, clean!

46 minutes ago, what said:

Any parts replaced will go on the report, more than likely. 

I think I'll stay away from GM/Chrysler for my somewhat imminent new vehicle. 

Subaru man. Last vehicle you will ever have to buy.