Gun Safe Advice

Tomcat0403

So the wife and I were at Cabelas and Field and Stream over the weekend and started looking at safes.  Last time I was at Vances I remember them having a fairly large selection in store so i may check them out as well. 

Couple things I wanted to ask about.  

-I am definitely looking for fire and theft protection

-Current stable is AR, shotgun, SKS, and 2 handguns.  Future stocks are possible for 10/22 and hunting rifle.

-Digital or Combo lock?

-Would $400 be a realistic price for a solid long lasting unit?

-Document protection would be a plus, but we can get a smaller fire safe for those too

I checked out the Gun Cabinet thread and I am looking for something a bit more sturdy.

400 will not get you what you mentioned.

800-1000 is where you'll be.

Liberty Fatboy Jr is the best value for the things you're looking for.

Vances has them.

Vances does a scratch and dent sale pretty often with great prices, take that ad to lowes. Lowes is a Liberty dealer as wet and they price match plus 10%. Do it on one of their 10% off for veterans weekends and also apply for Lowes card at same time for an additional 10% off.

You end up at half price.

You're welcome

• Upvote 2

We got a Fort Knox with dual keypad and combo entry. Definitely pricier than others but I like the features it has.

Make sure you get more safe than what you think you'll need...the biggest buyers remorse is getting one you outgrow in a year or two. Do your homework...though many look similar, the way they are constructed and materials used makes a huge difference. Decide how secure you want it to be. Should it withstand a longer attack from thieves or is it more to keep honest people honest and kids away from firearms? Fire resistance is a huge feature and make sure the ratings are UL 72 certified and passes. "Tested to UL standards" doesn't mean it passed the test.

Also, don't store your ammo in the safe. The heat can set them off and ruin whatever is in there.

There used to be a great Youtube video on this stuff but I can't seem to dig up the links.

• Upvote 1

I got a 16 gun liberty safe from Lowe's on Black Friday a few years ago for 300 bucks. There about 400 normal. Safes are like pole barns. Build it much bigger than you think you need because you will fill it up.

I will be buying a fat boy Junior next.

Edited by max power

They never hold what they say either unless you own only 10/22's with no optics and like your guns scratched.

I have the Fat Boy JR. It is a 48 gun. I have 29 in it, including pistols. Along with mags, accy, paperwork etc and I say it's full.

You cannot beat Libertys warranty and service.

I got a 16 gun liberty safe from Lowe's on Black Friday a few years ago for 300 bucks. There about 400 normal. Safes are like pole barns. Build it much bigger than you think you need because you will fill it up.

I will be buying a fat boy Junior next.

You want to go ahead and make that purchase and sell me yours?!  lol

whatever you end up with, make sure it's properly secured to a wall. 

These guys show how easy it is to get into a safe when they can apply body-weight leverage.  https://youtu.be/B8ViUdd-2LM

Or buy a quality safe, that is not.

A quality safe has no provisions to bolt to a wall. A quality safe also cannot be pried open.

Quality safes do not have holes to even be attached to the wall. A wall is not as secure and solid as the floor. High quality safes bolt to the floor. Cabinets and cheap safes to walls. And as I stated, a quality safe cannot be pried open like that, they have to be cut

• Upvote 1

Thats what I bought for my brother's safe last christmas. He said he has never had any moisture issues inside the safe.