New old school truck

speedytriple

Picking up a new to me old truck. Found a 1991 Ford f150 4x4 supercab from Tennessee. It's got a 351w motor with 112900 miles an no rust. Everything works as it should cold air hot heat all that stuff. No rust on the body, an a super clean frame an under carriage. All it could use is tires in a bit, an the radio needs rewired. Wish I could post pics but I never can.

I had a '90. Enormous bucket of poop.

Oil pump failed grenading the engine @ 120k

Trans failed. Twice. Front suspension failed.

The rear end was the only thing original by the time I unloaded it.

Have a 96 F-250 now. Power steering went out of it this weekend. And the drag link is bad. Fudge.

Edited by max power

This one caught my attention also. But kinda far to go get a truck.

http://www.adsinusa.com/c/4827/4827g0801.htm

My first truck was an '86 Toyota shortbed 2wd. That 22R 4sp took a whoopin' for 2 years. I put 80k redlined, tire smoking, gear banging, teenage boy miles on it. I beat the ever lovin' brakes off that truck. Jumped ditches and went high speed "fielding" many a time. At 100k the headgasket popped. I remember the cylinders still had very apparent factory bore crosshatching. Damn good trucks, too bad most of 'em rotted out faster than they'd wear out.

Well ol blue as its now called threw me a loop last night. Starter solenoid died on me no biggy new one was $28 lol like the old school prices for parts. Put some small parts on it today. New drain plug that was damaged an leaking while doing a oil change. New radiator cap that was loose an leaking. An I picked up a gasket an filter for the tranny that is leaking. Gonna be a busy day or two. Lol

The truck is solid. But from its age itvhas some leaks.

Had alot of Ford trucks in the past 35 yrs. 

What your actually doing by fixing those leaks is your shutting down the Anti-rust feature... You'll regret drying it up.

The 351W is a good motor.. Loves gas.. you will want to take the O2 sensor out and give it a good washdown with carb cleaner or replace it entirely.. the cost of new will save you that in gas.

The throttle body is famous for carboning up bad.. running a good gas treatment threw it will help. I always found that taking it off and soaking it to clean throughly made impressive results. also idle solenoid can be problamaitc when carboned up.

My first truck was an '86 Toyota shortbed 2wd. That 22R 4sp took a whoopin' for 2 years. I put 80k redlined, tire smoking, gear banging, teenage boy miles on it. I beat the ever lovin' brakes off that truck. Jumped ditches and went high speed "fielding" many a time. At 100k the headgasket popped. I remember the cylinders still had very apparent factory bore crosshatching. Damn good trucks, too bad most of 'em rotted out faster than they'd wear out.

Just got rid of my '86 a few years ago. Regret it. Go cart with a pick up bed. Ran like a top when I sold it with 215k. Needed a arms.

Had alot of Ford trucks in the past 35 yrs.

What your actually doing by fixing those leaks is your shutting down the Anti-rust feature... You'll regret drying it up.

The 351W is a good motor.. Loves gas.. you will want to take the O2 sensor out and give it a good washdown with carb cleaner or replace it entirely.. the cost of new will save you that in gas.

The throttle body is famous for carboning up bad.. running a good gas treatment threw it will help. I always found that taking it off and soaking it to clean throughly made impressive results. also idle solenoid can be problamaitc when carboned up.

Does the 460 have the same issues? Noticed it chugging a little bit the last time I drove it.