2016 Investment Strategy?

Tpoppa

2015 was a tough year for investing.  Even Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway is down about 13% for the year.  Is anyone planning to make any significant changes to their investment strategy for 2016?

Has anyone been investing in oil or plan to for 2016?

Any thoughts on sectors that may be gaining or losing strength?

I'm going to try my luck in PM's. specifically silver, as i believe silver is currently basementing. also looking into mining stocks. 

bitcoin is something i'm interested in. this summer it was @ $230, then rose this late november to almost $500, and settled back to a little over $400. i believe it'll fall back to the $250 range sometime 1st quarter 2016, at which point I may throw in on that.

I'm unsure of what will happen with oil. if you're planning on playing the turmoil in the middle east, i'd definitely say you're on the right path. although we are entering an election year, and china's consumption is quite a bit down, which has definitely shown affects in the commodities markets. (anyone thats been to a scrap yard recently will tell you how far down scrap is).

i'd stay as far away from the bond market as possible. i also believe the US stock market is going to see some volatility through 2016 that will continue the bear slope its been recently. 

I'm still new to all this, so i'm curious as to others opinions.

I'm unsure of what will happen with oil. if you're planning on playing the turmoil in the middle east, i'd definitely say you're on the right path. although we are entering an election year, and china's consumption is quite a bit down...

Oil is the most difficult investment I've attempted.  There are many, many factors and players that can manipulate prices as they wish.

I made some money on oil in 2014 and 2015, but nothing particularly impressive.  

I expect oil will go up and down in 2016.  So money can be made...and lost.  I wouldn't "buy and hold"  oil anytime soon.   Not until you think either OPEC will cut production or middle east problems will raise prices. 

Do you mean investing or gambling?  Many people use the term investing to mean both of those things when they don't mean the same thing. 

I personally am pretty risk averse so I will be keeping my long term bets where they are.  Medical could be a good buy, as we continue in a system that throws money at this segment and it continues to consolidate to oligopoly status.  I think P&C insurers will continue to have poor results and with a potential La Nina coming we could have another really bad weather year for the East.  Apple has recently taken a big hit.  Might be worth keeping an eye on.  There are no shortage of people in the world willing to overpay for their stuff.  If a republican wins I could see that tax giveaway come to fruition and those billions Apple has come home. 

I still see most growth overseas.  The US middle and lower classes just don't have the income to buy like the boomers did. 

I'm done with anything to do with oil and anything that the government regularly gets involved in unless I'm going to short sale it. I'm sticking with trending companies driven by the needs of normal people which has seldom failed..  Although I'm still betting on some new energy type stocks such as Hydrogen fuel cells..  

Timken Steel (TMST) is a stock to watch. Can't get much lower. Everyone's looking for Timken Roller bearing to buy them back.

IMO pick very low risk and sit tight for a while. Play minimally with some high risk picks based on certain technologies becoming more and more important.

I'm going to try my luck in PM's. specifically silver, as i believe silver is currently basementing. also looking into mining stocks. 

bitcoin is something i'm interested in. this summer it was @ $230, then rose this late november to almost $500, and settled back to a little over $400. i believe it'll fall back to the $250 range sometime 1st quarter 2016, at which point I may throw in on that.

I'm unsure of what will happen with oil. if you're planning on playing the turmoil in the middle east, i'd definitely say you're on the right path. although we are entering an election year, and china's consumption is quite a bit down, which has definitely shown affects in the commodities markets. (anyone thats been to a scrap yard recently will tell you how far down scrap is).

i'd stay as far away from the bond market as possible. i also believe the US stock market is going to see some volatility through 2016 that will continue the bear slope its been recently. 

I'm still new to all this, so i'm curious as to others opinions.

You do realize that bitcoin is ridiculously easy to manipulate, right?  I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money, but if you didn't get into BTC in 2009/early 2010 then I think you missed the boat.

I'm in a similar boat as Tpoppa, I've been sitting on a mix of S&P index funds and long-term Vanguard mutual funds since I consolidated everything earlier this year and am down just slightly, but I still have about 10k unallocated in the 401k to plow into something new.

I'm going to keep dumping as much as I can into 401K and IRA's. When the market tanked in 08-09, I upped my contribution 5%. I'm far enough from retirement that bumps in the road like that will not impact me long term.

this. I'm also not much of a gambler and my guy has done great work with my IRA so going to keep going that route

I max out 401k and a Roth IRA every year.

I am willing to have 10% of my portfolio invested invested in some risky assets as long as there is sufficient upside.  Oil for example.  I won't take wild chances but I've made some calculated plays.

You do realize that bitcoin is ridiculously easy to manipulate, right?  I'm not one to tell someone how to spend their money, but if you didn't get into BTC in 2009/early 2010 then I think you missed the boat.

I'm in a similar boat as Tpoppa, I've been sitting on a mix of S&P index funds and long-term Vanguard mutual funds since I consolidated everything earlier this year and am down just slightly, but I still have about 10k unallocated in the 401k to plow into something new.

i understand that at one point bitcoin was looking at $1.00-3.00 each pre-2011... but that doesn't mean an over 100% gain this past 1/4 isn't something to consider. besides, its a risky asset in which i wouldn't place all my chips. PM's (specifically gold) is a much more manipulated market than bitcoin is, but some consider it long term. with the current status of the EU and central banks in germany, italy, france and others, bitcoin is going to be very interesting over the next 12 months.

Tech, google, GE, and possibly Boeing.

just FYI, GE is looking at a downsize and is looking to layoff (in aviation). Also, GE appliances didn't get bought by electrolux (sp?)... so look out for whats happening there.

My investment strategy is about cost averaging with ultra low expense ratio index funds. And some mad money too, maybe 10%. To me, everything else is white collar gambling or insider trading, and I'm too close to the financial sector to even remotely risk doing the latter.

I have about half my portfolio in Apple, and I'm still pretty happy with it.  The recent downturn over the past couple weeks doesn't bother me one bit.  I bought in (the first time) at $120, but that was pre-split (it split 7:1, for those that don't remember).  My mom gifted me some MTB (M&T Bank) stock, and I'm just letting that sit... it's doing fine, but mostly I like it because it's stable.

My goal for 2016 is to start direct deposit into a Robinhood account (iPhone app that allows commission-free trades) so that I can swing trade a little more aggressively.  

Before all you apple-haters chime in, I'm hanging on to it until they release a TV, a Car, or another game-changer.

I have about half my portfolio in Apple, and I'm still pretty happy with it.  The recent downturn over the past couple weeks doesn't bother me one bit.  I bought in (the first time) at $120, but that was pre-split (it split 7:1, for those that don't remember).  My mom gifted me some MTB (M&T Bank) stock, and I'm just letting that sit... it's doing fine, but mostly I like it because it's stable.

My goal for 2016 is to start direct deposit into a Robinhood account (iPhone app that allows commission-free trades) so that I can swing trade a little more aggressively.  

Before all you apple-haters chime in, I'm hanging on to it until they release a TV, a Car, or another game-changer.

Or the iphone 6SSssSss

It's true - my current strategy is high risk, high reward.... Not conservative.  So far, it's paid off.  Yes, it's poor form for a conservative investor to have half his portfolio in one stock... But an aggressive strategy that has seen 700% gains is pretty good.