Help me make my decision on Givi hard cases

Ryan_c_F

Sup all --

So, through the magic of exchange rates and not paying VAT-tax, I've found that my money goes quite a bit farther in Germany than I thought possible. I was originally looking at a small, modest pair of E22Ns, but now I have tons more flexibility. I've had the top-case rack forever, and I got the pannier racks for Christmas.

Here's what I'm down to.

Option 1:

2x Givi E360N panniers.

1x Givi E460N top case and the M5M mount-plate.

$404.00 after shipping.

That's 128L of storage which is enough for any conceivable trip I'll take on this bike. The bags match each other and look "OK" on the bike.

Option 2:

2x Givi TRK33N panniers

~$450.00 after shipping.

So, about half the storage space overall (66L vs 128), but cosmetically a better look for my bike (brushed aluminum on a silver bike) and maybe more durability (metal coat -vs- raw plastic). Also more functionality as the TRK's can hinge open on top and open clamshell style, on the fly.

All are quick-release, all use the same hardware, all can be mounted singly as a top case. I'd only use the three-bag setup 1-2 times per year, but for the money it's still the more economical option.

What choice would you all make?

Edited by Ryan_c_F

I know this may not answer your question directly, but maybe my thinking will help.  I got an E450 top case (very similar to your E460 option) and I leave it attached 99.9% of the time, mainly because I also added an "Admore" lighting kit that supplements running, stop and turn signal lights for better visibility - I really don't want to get rear-ended.  It also acts as a backrest for pillion riding and has enough storage to put my full-face helmet plus water, earplugs, backup maps, first aid, energy bars and other crap, or I can stick a gallon of milk and a few other things in there when running errands.  The only time I remove the top box is when I plan to be on rougher gravel and dirt road rides and only need what I can lash down in a small dry bag (so as not to beat up my E450).  So for me, the ability to use a side case as a top case didn't matter, since I wanted to light up the top case.  Note that Admore does have a kit for the E460s: http://www.admorelighting.com/top-mounts/Givi-E360-E460-top-case-LED-light-kit-TS

Once that was decided, I went with V35 side panniers because I love how they hug the bike more than square ADV-style ammo cases that everyone else seems to put on their Stroms, BMW GSes, Teneres, etc.  I say this because the FZ1 has similar flowing lines.  I didn't get a lighting kit for those because it would have felt excessive after lighting my top case.  Yea, the V35s have less space than the E360Ns, but I only use them when traveling.  I can easily pack for 3-4 days using only the three cases if I'm not camping.  If I do camp, I use my pillion spot for a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tarp, etc.  It works out well.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy either way, but if you ever wanted to light up your cases, you won't need (or be able to use) convertibility from side to top.

Edited by smccrory

Right on -- yeah the brake-light systems and such are nice; if I wanted to spend a bit more I think this particular site has ready-wired options, including a few with wireless keyfob unlock options...!

So you basically use your trunk as year-round storage, and the panniers only occasionally? I'd probably be looking the other way round -- panniers all year, and top case when needed.

And that's my dilemma...

givi_trekker_trk33n_top_case_pannier_1.j vs givi-e360n-black_1.jpg

Gotcha.  Yea, side cases on a V-Strom seemed (to me anyway) to give it a fat arse and takes away from its sport-like curvy lines that I appreciate.  Plus it makes it awfully wide in the garage.  Maybe that's different with the FZ1, which I sort of recall having a more slender waist - LOL.

Ended up going with the Trekkers.

Feedback on other forums was almost universally positive for the TRK33s and I've been eyeballing those for an unhealthily-long amount of time.

Also -- if you're looking for motorcycle stuff hit up FC-moto.de... the GIVI stuff there is literally half the price of what I've found stateside. The E360 cases were only $109 apiece... $207 apiece stateside. $306 paiece domestically for the TRK33s and I picked these up for $220 apiece overseas. Well worth the hassle of calling my card company to verify that I'm buying stuff from Germany!

• Upvote 1

Lot of this stuff is way cheaper in Europe but by the time you pay the shipping it's close to what it cost on the states. You cn still save some money but will have to wait a month for it. Me and my buddy just researched all that about a month ago.

Lot of this stuff is way cheaper in Europe but by the time you pay the shipping it's close to what it cost on the states. You cn still save some money but will have to wait a month for it. Me and my buddy just researched all that about a month ago.

I'd agree with you in most cases, especially when it comes to those friggin' criminals on ebay.

In this case, though, the prices aren't even close. I just ordered those TRK33s, and order total including shipping came out to $460-something. I haven't seen a single TRK33N for sale domestically under $300, not even a used one. Saved huge. I'll wait a month for that pricing and they were quoting two-week ship times which is more than reasonable.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Agreed -- looks like they were made for her.

I typically only see these on BMWs but I've gotten really positive reactions from my rider buddies at work, and the quality is very, very high. Going to keep them around for a good long time, I think!

3 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I know its weird, but I think it would look good with a top box to match.

There are top boxes that match exactly - they have a 46L and a 52L option. I actually already have the primary mounting hardware for the top-case installed right now (you can see it in the pic from behind... those two flat tabs behind the pillion seat mount a monokey plate that secures a top case). Each side case can also be used in that top position if needed.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/GIVI-TRK52N-Trekker-Monokey

Wasn't in my budget to buy all three at once... this summer, though, I'm supposed to be taking a long-ish tour with my dad and brother, so I'll likely look into that option then. That'll probably be the next move, after a seat repair and chain replacement.

Edited by Ryan_c_F