when I'm not working..

Hoblick

that is awesome.  I can see how it would get addictive (coating parts for your bike, not doing the baking).

What kind of prep needs to be done to say, an XR100 frame, to get it ready for coating?   ...and  how will it stand up to crashing?

Looks great!

We will talk later in the winter/early spring...have some moped parts/wheels that will need coated.

How are you stripping original finish?

Have you coated over chrome?

Sorry for 20 questions, but your work looks great.

that is awesome.  I can see how it would get addictive (coating parts for your bike, not doing the baking).

What kind of prep needs to be done to say, an XR100 frame, to get it ready for coating?   ...and  how will it stand up to crashing?

i would prep it just like anything else i do.

bearings need removed though, you can either do it yourself, or pay be the extra labor to do that stuff.

degrease,  blast the frame, do my normal prep of it from there on out, as far blow it off, do a wipe down, pre bake the part to 430 degrees to bake out any oils or anything left in the metal, let it cool, and do a final wipe down before apply powder.

as far as how it will stand up in a crash, its powder coat, its ALOT more durable than paint, but its not road rash proof.

Looks great!

We will talk later in the winter/early spring...have some moped parts/wheels that will need coated.

How are you stripping original finish?

Have you coated over chrome?

Sorry for 20 questions, but your work looks great.

i media blast using either sand, glass bead, or black beauty

i coat over chrome a lot on Harley parts.  as long as the chrome is in good shape, with no pits, flaking, etc. i can coat over chrome just fine.  I just etch the chrome with  glass bead and go about the process as i normally would.  thats the preferred method of coating over chrome.  If its pitted / flaking, your best bet is to have it chemically stripped or however they reverse the chroming process with electrostatic charging or whatever.

unless it is really really cheap chrome, trying to blast chrome off, doesn't end very good.  you need a pretty aggressive media, and chances are you will mess the underlying metal up.  

a lot of my larger or tougher jobs i outsource to a local guy who has a 115hp diesel air compressor and a bad ass sandblaster that has like a 3" diameter hose.  that thing puts some media out!  he can do 10x the parts i can do in the time it takes me to do a set of motorcycle wheels with my set up lol.  i use him alot in the fall/spring/summer  in the winter he is limited because of weather.  he does his blasting in the open. i don't profit as much, because i have to pay him, but i do save quite a bit of time, so ill bring over a few sets of wheels at a time to him.

he did some chrome handle bars off a bicycle and had no issues at all knocking it off, but i also had a set of 80s motorcycle wheels, that the lip was chrome (i didn't even notice, thought they were polished) and he had a hell of a time with.  on top if it being a pain in the ass to get off, he called me and let me know that underneath the chrome (that wasn't in great shape, the aluminum wheel was corroded a lot. so he did what he could, and in the end i had a lot of time trying to make the wheels look good with powder on them.  i had to do some back filling and sanding on them.  which is a pain in the ass with powder coat lol.