4bd 2.5 bath 2700sq ft home with 3 car garage

Bad324

I know this is probably a long shot but let's give it a try in case anyone is looking in NEO. Due to the surprise of twins and my wife's work reneging that she would be able to work from home 2-3 days a week, I'm regrettably testing the waters on downsizing our mortgage so she can work part time or just be a stay at home Mom.

I love this house and if it wasn't a move for the financial comfort I wouldn't even consider it.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9893-Royal-Valley-Dr-North-Royalton-OH-44133/33591271_zpid/

1 minute ago, 330racing said:

Nice pad

Thanks! It checked every single thing on the list of what we were looking for. Needed some painting and a few improvements but got most of that done shortly after we moved in. The biggest thing on my to do list I didn't get to last year was painting/replacing the shutters and the front door. Not really a fan of the color though we've gotta lot of compliments on it which surprised me!

24 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I so want a three car garage. But having no house payment is just too damn cool to give up.

I'm sure if you sold your house and used those funds to buy mine the payment would probably be real cheap :)

7 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

I'm sure if you sold your house and used those funds to buy mine the payment would probably be real cheap :)

Not giving up our no payment lifestyle, it is too freaking cool watching the money pile up in the bank/investments.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So if anyone has an interested party this week that wants to buy the house before I officially list it, I will pay a $300 commission to the person who sends them :D

On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Tonik said:

I so want a three car garage. But having no house payment is just too damn cool to give up.

I am curious how does one get in that position?  Good investments, flip houses find a killer deal on a house lucky loto ticket? I am not hating or jealous i would like to also be in that position in my life one day. But at this rate it looks like i will be in my 70s. 170s that is. 

8 minutes ago, o-no-moto said:

I am curious how does one get in that position?  Good investments, flip houses find a killer deal on a house lucky loto ticket? I am not hating or jealous i would like to also be in that position in my life one day. But at this rate it looks like i will be in my 70s. 170s that is. 

Spend wisely. Save, invest, pay shit off early not overpaying the interest. Don't get yourself into financial debt that you can't easily get out of. Work your ass off to be able to afford the things you want in life and squirrel away the rest. 

I have a full time job, and 2 other companies I run. My wife stays home with the kids. We drive nice cars, and will be debt free in the next 5 years. I'm only 31. You have to know what you want and go after it. If living debt free is it that's cool. If having a lot of shit is what you want than realize it has a price and most likely a bill that comes along with it prolonging your debt free lifestyle.  Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 3

Chrome and Tonik nailed it.  My parents taught me that philosophy.  Even on one college professor's salary, they were able to finance a modest home and pay it down aggressively by being frugal elsewhere.  My family didn't own a color TV until everyone else had one and my mom cooked most meals after carefully couponing each week.  Once the kids were in school, she invested in a degree and went back to work as a teacher, thus supplementing my dad's income.  Our vacations usually leveraged the conferences my dad was sent to, as it paid for most the gas and hotel stays.  All in all an excellent childhood without breaking the bank by any means.  Plus, I got time with my parents, which was worth far more than any material good we missed out on.

Fast forward 15 years and I was super frugal through college and my early working years, which allowed me to pay off my school debt and car loan early.  Once I didn't have to pay $500/mo in loan payments, the benefits started to multiply just like Tonik said.  With that extra breathing room, I upgraded to a safer but still reasonably modest apartment, bought a better computer because I'm in I.T. and knew it would pay dividends in my career, and started to put a little retirement money back so I wouldn't be tempted to spend it.  Every time I got a raise or bonus (in part because of the studying I was doing on the side), my rule was to put no less than 2/3rds of it against any debt and to save the rest as if it never existed.  By doing so, that minimized "financial friction" in every subsequent month.  I knew what would happen if I saw a growing checking balance each month, so I manipulated my own behavior by keeping extra money out of there and "hidden" in emergency savings and investment accounts. :-)

Fast forward some more and those investments have grown, which not only validated my strategy but also has given me peace of mind that I'm OK if/when ever things break down or a major health issue comes up.  It's an incredibly liberating experience.  It's ultimately how I was able to pay for a huge spine surgery in November.

That doesn't mean you have to live like a spartan or a monk(!), it just means soberly realizing that long-term stress relief and flexibility are far better than short-term gratifications.  That's a really tough lesson for many people accustomed to living one financial orgasm to the next.  I'm now fortunate to have no vehicle or credit card debt, I can handle emergency expenses and occasional charity causes (which selfishly makes me feel even better), I've got my daughter's core expenses covered, and I'm on track to have my house paid for in 5-7 years unless the rates stay really low, in which case I'll continue to make more in the market with the cash.

You can do it, really, you can.  Yea, it means you may not get to impress people you hate with things you don't need, but on the other hand, there is a quiet calm and gratitude that comes from having a stable base to grow from.  Like the frigging Atkins diet, the first phase sucks because you go through a bit of withdraw, but when you start to see results month after month...

• Upvote 2

Crap, I can't believe that we (at least I) completely forgot another key principle: avoid banking fees like the plague - they will eat you alive, they're always the customer's fault (with rare exception) and are nature's way of saying you don't have your shit together.

What I mean is that overdraft fees, early termination penalties, late cancellation fees, brokerage fees and so on are universally avoidable.  Never accept they are necessary as a monthly, weekly or God forbid daily routine.  Keep your balances above contracted minimums, pay your bills on time, give electronic payments extra time to settle and keep your non-discretionary credit cards separate from one that carries a balance to reduce the total (average daily!) interest paid.  Only use foreign ATMs in emergencies, and if you need to use one more than a few times a year, ask yourself why you didn't plan ahead, or switch banks so you have more native ATMs available.

You would be astonished how much money banks make from fees - they are literally key revenue streams - but it doesn't hurt their feelings when you don't incur them because (at least reputable) banks would rather have you financially healthy and stable to lend bigger amounts to and/or hold your larger deposits they can then lend on to others.  I've known friends content with $100-200/mo in fees and that's just insane.  That same money could go right into a retirement fund making a compounded 8-12% interest rate or used to pay off a credit card or car loan, ya know?!

• Upvote 1

It should officially be on the MLS come tomorrow afternoon or Saturday at the latest.

Which is funny because we submitted the paperwork and NOW I get two interview requests within the last few hours. 

I have a pension. I throw 10% of my check at an IRA anyway and we have 6+ months of living expenses in savings. 

We save a lot because we don't have car payments. That money goes toward the mortgage instead. Without extra payments, we'll own the new house in 22 years. I am aiming for 10, and definitely won't have a mortgage when our 2 yr old goes to college...

Edited by redkow97

For more support on a frugal and/or debt free lifestyle:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

I am not perfect, but I pull tips from these and others.  House will be paid off in 6 more years (9 total from date of purchase).  We have no other debt.  My car has 337,000 miles on it and I am planning to keep it a few more years.