House advice.

Anden

I may have one completely remodeled for you, move in ready. 

Check the the foundation on older homes. Also look for rotted/broken support beams in the basement. Cracks in the old plaster and lathe walls expose structural issues. I know a good inspector who may chime in on here if he is still active. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, snot said:

What to look/test for...

Lead paint, asbestos, old plumbing, outdated electrical, poor insulation, mold, etc.

It's 130 years old, it's gonna have all that unless its had a complete remodel. To a point, some of those aren't a big deal either though, mold certainly is a big one.

I have no expertise in anything of the sort, but I imagine I'd be looking at the structure primarily. It's likely a hand dug basement and rock foundation. It's gonna have cracks and leaks. Termites, water damage, rot...sounds like some starting points.

• Upvote 1

With kids in the house you have to consider the other stuff. Asbestos siding can be a big deal if you ever decide to re-use the house. Lead can be painted over.

It also depends on if you want a project home or move in ready. 

One thing I would also look at is it classified as historical? 

13 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

Just don't do it. I grew up in a 1880s house, it was always drafty, pipe problems, as a mater of fact you couldn't pay me to live in a house built before 1995

Lol I'm almost the opposite. My bow house that was built in '92 is 10x the quality of my last house which was built in 2002. Now I'm looking at a couple custom built craftsman colonials that were built in the 70s and 80s in case this one sells 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, snot said:

One thing I would also look at is it classified as historical? 

This is huge. Historical homes qualify for some incentives, but they're also restricted. You can't attach a garage or update certain features. 

I looked at an old house on several acres near work. Seeing it in person made it clear why the asking price was so low. Lots of work and small rooms. Easier to heat 100 years ago...

23 minutes ago, Tonik said:

You buy too many houses.

you're telling me. I'm actually considering taking up an offer to be a realtor on the side because of it. 

When we moved last year we obviously didn't consider the several major changes that have happened this year. So I'm using this as an opportunity to get in to a more modest payment so I can one day have toys again hopefully

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2016 at 9:10 PM, zx3vfr said:

Just don't do it. I grew up in a 1880s house, it was always drafty, pipe problems, as a mater of fact you couldn't pay me to live in a house built before 1995

The house that I just bought... Was built in 2016 :D

• Upvote 1