YATT (Yet Another Tire Thread)

Casper

Very small price to pay for all Ben does in my opinion. Met most of my good friends through ORDN and I'm grateful to him for bringing us all together like this. He needs a little capital to keep it all running smoothly cause that shit ain't free.

Thanks bubby

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Load it with ads.

I'd rather not. I hate sites with lots of ads. Being a supporter here really doesn't make a huge difference for the user experience. It's more just a way to help keep the site free for the masses, show your support, and get a few extra perks as a thank you. 

$10/yr to be a supporter is cheap...some sites ask for $20-30 and load it with ads if you're not a supporter. Site hosting is not cheap, not to mention the personal time spent moderating, updating, tweaking, backing up, recovering from crashes, etc, etc.

• Upvote 1

Although in other places I've seen the Dunlop and Michelin listed as the top two for wet road. Don't know about the Michelin, but the Dunlops grip to the max in the wet. I have noticed that the hard center of any two compound tire will slip more than the outside compound. (note: the Dunlop Road Smart front tire is a single compound, not dual.)

Sport touring for wet weather riding: (in no particular order)

Avon Storm 3D XM

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Continental Conti Road Attack 2 Evo (or Motion)

Metzeler Sportec M7 RR (or Roadtec Z8)

Dunlop Road Smart 2 (or Q3)

Pirelli Angel GT (or Rosso Corosa)

Bridgestone BATTLAX Sport Tourint T30

Also:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4317/mngr/best-sport-touring-wet-weather-tires.aspx

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/tyres/2010/jan0509-top-10-tyres-for-wet-grip/

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Motorrad-Touring-Motorcycle-Tyre-Test.htm

2 minutes ago, Casper said:

The Angel GT gets great reviews. The GT is for heavier bikes though. I haven't found many reviews of the regular Angel on a sport bike. 

Angel GT is the model the "A spec" is for heavier bikes. 

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Angel GT is the model the "A spec" is for heavier bikes. 

Ah, I must've misunderstood one of the videos on Revzilla then. I thought they said the regular Angel was ST or something, and the heavier one was GT. My bad. 

2 minutes ago, Casper said:

Ah, I must've misunderstood one of the videos on Revzilla then. I thought they said the regular Angel was ST or something, and the heavier one was GT. My bad. 

They don't make the ST any more, it was replaced by the GT. Might have been a older video. 

Don't want to litter the thread with repetitive posts, but I gotta throw in another big thumbs-up for the Angel GTs.  Had 'em on my FZ1 and loved 'em.  Great feel in both dry and wet and aggressive riding in the twisties in NKY.  I rode the bike on back roads to TN/NC/GA and railed the mountains with loaded bags.  Figure if you're a decent rider who likes to play in the corners, you'll get about 6-7K miles on the rear, maybe 7-9K on the front.  I had the PR3s on my FJR and although they were OK and seemed to give decent mileage, I never felt as comfortable on the Mich as on the Pirellis.  Never heard anything bad--either on-line reviews or word-of-mouth--about the GTs.

I can't attest to the GTs yet, haven't wrung on my new set to scuff 'em in.   I shredded my ZX14's front Roadsmart2 last year on Blood Mtn and the only option I had at the GA dealer was a PR4.  Rode for hours on it in a torrential downpour back to IronHorse, and I had complete confidence in it the entire time.  I'm excited to try the GTs on my new-to-me GT, but I'm already sure anything will outperform the dried up 6 year old Battlax that are on it now.

I'd say you'll be very content with either the GTs or PR4s.  I will say that I got a set of GTs from jakewilson for $225 after rebate, arrived next day, free shipping, no tax.  Cant beat jakewilson ( thanks again for the tip Tim )

I've been through several sets of Angel GTs & they work very well in dry conditions & reasonably well in wet conditions. I had them on my wife's Monster 696 & currently have them on my Ninja 1000. They last over 5000 miles for me which is way better than standard sport tires. I run Q3s on my CBR because it's a dual sport (street & track) & am lucky to get half the miles out of them. Remember, all tires suck on wet tar snakes & such.

2 hours ago, Casper said:

The Angel GT gets great reviews. The GT is for heavier bikes though. I haven't found many reviews of the regular Angel on a sport bike. 

I ran them on my CBR 600RR and they were fantastic.   The A spec is for heavy bikes...I have those on my VFR1200.

Edited by Tpoppa

1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

I ran them on my CBR 600RR and they were fantastic.   The A spec is for heavy bikes...I have those on my VFR1200.

How was the grip when leaned over? Do they warm up quick? 

4 minutes ago, Casper said:

How was the grip when leaned over? Do they warm up quick? 

They're sport touring tires so warm up isn't as important as on SS tires.   They grip fine even before they warm up.  

They have plenty of grip to drag knees and hard parts.  The main difference from a SS tire is that the turn in is a bit slower (due to a rounder profile) you'll be used to it after 1 day or 2.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

They're sport touring tires so warm up isn't as important as on SS tires.   They grip fine even before they warm up.  

They have plenty of grip to drag knees and hard parts.  The main difference from a SS tire is that the turn in is a bit slower (due to a rounder profile) you'll be used to it after 1 day or 2.

Thanks for the info.