Air compressor issues

Gixxus Christ!

What ever you do, as stated earlier in this thread, do not go with oil free compressor.  Get the old fashioned cast iron compressor with oil in the crankcase you can change.  Just make sure you use a detergent free oil.  You can find compressor specific oil most places that sell oil.  May want to invest in an oil separator if you plan to spray with the unit.

• Upvote 1

Check craigslist. A lot of the old school compressors you can still get parts for cheap and are easy to fix. But no one does.

That Pawn shop on Cherry sometimes has some. Morris loan. And/or the workingmans store. 

Edited by Gump

Like others have stated above, for all the work you do I would spend the money on a nicer unit.  I have a portable Husky oil free compressor that does everything I need it to do, but it is very loud.  Its over 10 years old and haven't had any issues, but for a shop I would want a larger stationary unit for running air tools.

Found this baby at tsc, picked it up tonight and broke it in. Runs great, puts out more air and is quieter than my old unit AND it turns on and off like it's supposed to.

Thanks for all th advice. Gave my old one to another forum member, he can fix it if he wants.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/porter-cable-20-gallon-portable-belt-drive-air-compressor?cm_vc=-10005

• Upvote 2

Looks like a good price!  My Husky is a lot like that one, only mine is a 17 gal, 150 psi max, up to 9.9 SCFM.  Like I stated before it is oil less and loud as fuck.  I like that it is portable, if I need it for air nailers in the house, I can bring it in without having to find a path for an air hose through the garage door into the house.

34 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

MG-725. It's what all the cool kids are using. @jporter12 is just a shitty hack. Don't listen to him. 

My IR 2135Ti has never failed me!  I've had it for about 10 or so years and gets a LOT of use.  It's also significantly quieter than the Snap-on, and if you can add some scotch brite pad to the exhaust and quiet it even more, with little to no noticeable impact on performance.  

Take that shitty hack's (@Isaac's Papa) opinions with a grain of salt, because that's more than what they're worth. :nono: